Bobby Singh A4 3.0 TDI build thread

bobby singh

BSR
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
14/7/15 - Introduction

Well it’s been a while since selling my Golf ARL. Those that are aware will know it made over 300hp from mixture of custom made parts when no 2260 kits were available.
So the new project car is Audi A4 3.0TDI estate (CCWA engine code) - 240hp model auto (TIP) - I didn't want a manual. The auto box has reported torque limit of 700nm.
Decided on a B8 simply because the early ones suffered from injector failure causing engine damage and they don't come with the 2260 as stock.

Even though the car came with full Audi history the air filter is in a poor state looks like they've changed only the oil and filter the last few times.
First action plan is to service it soon and ask my cousin @ teamspb to give it a detail.

Here are some pics

rFNz6KA.jpg

cWRuXt1.jpg

Good news I don't think anyone has been in there
vsHrt60.jpg

The famous 2260

iHT3sYf.jpg

Inside

ekYJ34P.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: n3m, martinivw, A4AllroadS and 7 others
Well its been a while since selling my Golf ARL. Those that are aware will know it made over 300hp from mixture of custom made parts when no 2260 kits were available.

So the new project car is Audi A4 3.0TDI estate (CCWA engine code) - 240hp model auto (TIP) - I didn't want a manual as the clutch limit appears to be 750nm. The auto box has reported torque limit of 800nm.

Decided on a B8 simply because the early ones suffered from injector failure causing engine damage and they don't come with the 2260 as stock.

Even though the car came with full Audi history the air filter is in a poor state looks like they've changed only the oil and filter the last few times.

First action plan is to service it soon and ask my cousin @ teamspb to give it a detail.

Here are some pics

Good news I don't think anyone has been in there

The famous 2260

Inside

Cheers
Bobby
Nice A4 Avant Bobby! :thumbs up:

Watching your thread with interest

looks nice mate,but you might have your wires crossed. its the manual gearbox which is rated at 800nm and the tip box is good for about 700nm

Reactions: SI-W85
Bobby I've done the very same thing earlier this year.
Know how good your golf was I'll be watching this with great interest!

Even with 700nm they are pretty quick whem tuned. What spec turbo you will go for hybrid or some other exotica ? I would love a gtb3576klnvr, ball bearing turbo...

Nice A4 Avant Bobby! :thumbs up:

Watching your thread with interest

Thanks mate - been wanting one for a while but finding time to do my own stuff is difficult

looks nice mate,but you might have your wires crossed. its the manual gearbox which is rated at 800nm and the tip box is good for about 700nm

I understand the manual box can take more however i don't fancy my chances with stock clutch(s) @ 800nm. And be honest I'm becoming a old fart so auto box suits me better. The other thing is I know there is upgrade path for the tip to handle 1000nm :)

Bobby I've done the very same thing earlier this year.
Know how good your golf was I'll be watching this with great interest!

Cheers buddy - I'll be doing upgrades in stages just to see what is possible. I want to drive it for a period of time inbetween each stage to ensure everything holds together.

Even with 700nm they are pretty quick whem tuned. What spec turbo you will go for hybrid or some other exotica ? I would love a gtb3576klnvr, ball bearing turbo...

Hi Chris - hope you are well.
I'll be staying away from the hybrid 2260 mate its pretty common. Also, pushing the unit above 370hp is difficult due to the exhaust housing. BB unit would be nice but the 3576 is very rare unit with a nice price tag.

I had some time yesterday so attempted to read the ecu, but failed to get a read out.
Further digging has shown that software 0006 is boot mode only - basically ecu out job on the bench.
I'll tackle that on the weekend.

urqYlNj.png

Managed to repair the motor on the fuel flap though apparently a common problem on these.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw
Hi Bobby, looks like a really nice motor.
can I ask how u fixed the fuel cap problem, im having the same thing on my 2.7tdi

Hi Bobby, looks like a really nice motor.
can I ask how u fixed the fuel cap problem, im having the same thing on my 2.7tdi

Thanks - So i removed the motor and on a bench psu set the voltage to 12v and gave it 3amps - I could see current being drawn. I then opened it up (the clips will break but its not a issue still seals fine) and clean the connection with contact cleaner put it all back togather - job done.

They are not so expensive and I was will to try a repair.

Welcome to Audi-sport.net, Nice choice of car :) .I have read about the Golf on many threads when I was mapping and playing with my 1.9TDI Passat.
I am currently playing with a hybrid on my car, hopefully have it sorted and mapped soon.Currently running on the remap for the standard turbo.
Mine is a manual and currently running with 720Nm probably closer to 750Nm when running the WMI and I have no issues. There are plenty of people in Europe running more, but I believe that somewhere around 820-850Nm is where it starts slipping. The big issue with this engine tuning wise is there is no upgrade path for the injectors so fueling limits it to around 400bhp.
Still a very practical and capable car, and so much easier to use the power and torque than in the Golf as the quattro system does a great job of providing traction.
The fuel cap solenoid was the first job I tackled on my car. I just replaced it as the old one was open circuit. Only about £35 for all the parts from the dealer including a new plastic liner for the fuel filler.
Karl.

I had some time yesterday so attempted to read the ecu, but failed to get a read out.
Further digging has shown that software 0006 is boot mode only - basically ecu out job on the bench.
I'll tackle that on the weekend.

Managed to repair the motor on the fuel flap though apparently a common problem on these.

Nice car. Are you trying to flash it with mpps?

Welcome to Audi-sport.net, Nice choice of car :) .I have read about the Golf on many threads when I was mapping and playing with my 1.9TDI Passat.
I am currently playing with a hybrid on my car, hopefully have it sorted and mapped soon.Currently running on the remap for the standard turbo.
Mine is a manual and currently running with 720Nm probably closer to 750Nm when running the WMI and I have no issues. There are plenty of people in Europe running more, but I believe that somewhere around 820-850Nm is where it starts slipping. The big issue with this engine tuning wise is there is no upgrade path for the injectors so fueling limits it to around 400bhp.
Still a very practical and capable car, and so much easier to use the power and torque than in the Golf as the quattro system does a great job of providing traction.
The fuel cap solenoid was the first job I tackled on my car. I just replaced it as the old one was open circuit. Only about £35 for all the parts from the dealer including a new plastic liner for the fuel filler.
Karl.

Hi Karl - thanks buddy

Why do you run wmi?
From the information I have the early CAPA engines actually have a better fuel pump and can do 90 to 100mg worth of fuel without rail pressure drop.
I have a few idea's but i want to experience / test this rail pressure drop for myself to see where the actual limit is.

Its a great car even in stock forum.

Once I do a BDM style read on the ecu I'll take a look at the file, my dyno guy is away for a few weeks so I have time.

Nice car. Are you trying to flash it with mpps?

Yes using mpps - i have other tools but none of them work. I've done plenty of edc17cp14 so I'm assuming its tprot. Anyways I will boot mode it soon enough.

I run WMI only when at a track or 1/4 mile it definately helps by lowering intake temps and adds a bit more fuel. Rick did a great job of mapping the car to get the most out of the standard turbo without being smokey. To get a bit more power a bit more fuel is added by running the WMI.
The research I have done seems to point to the later cars with the CP4 pumps having more pressure but less flow, so ultimately will be more limited in tuning I would of thought. The CAPA engine in mine has the CP1H pump that is rated at 85mg where as I think the CP4 pumps in the CCWA are higher pressure but lower flow somthing like 65mg.
Mine runs 1800 bar pressure with no issues with the current mapping, be interesting to see if it holds at that when it's running more fuel for the hybrid.
It seems most of the 400bhp cars on the A5-qp RS5 TDi facebook page are CAPA engined cars.
If you haven't seen it already there is a build thread for my car linked below with some of the mods I have made.

Reactions: bobby singh and V6 Quatt
Any news on remap? Which year is this car? You can read ecu till 2011y cars. :)

Its a 2009 model - You can't read all cars upto 2011 - sometimes they've had a oem flash update which prevent obd read regardless of the year. You can read/write via obd on such vehcles onces the ecu has been unlocked.

I managed to read the ECU on my car with an MPPS lead that I use to map EDC15 diesels but it won't write the ECU. As you say whether you can read the ECU is dependent on when the car was made and whether it has had any updates.
The EC17 with it's 1024 bit RSA encryption is in a different league to an EDC15 so I leave the mapping to Rick.

Carried out some more work on the car this weekend.
Removed the ecu and using a heat gun, blade and patience removed the bonded cover:

eK6Xz0s.jpg

8k830cz.jpg

jqumbVW.jpg

Got a successful read of all memories in case I ever need to clone the ecu :)

Next job service (air, fuel and pollen)

vRXyl23.jpg

Detailed

Yesterday got my cousin from (teamspb) to do the detail on the car :)

hplup6e.jpg

exyDmtp.jpg

This week I'll prepare a stage 1 tune (with egr off) and see what it does - I've unlocked the ECU for obd tuning so will make revision uploading easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ant L, martinivw, A4AllroadS and 3 others
Jeez how many miles has that air filter done ???
Has your car got the Audi Drive Select on it ?
You can enable it with Vag-Com it has a default of auto I believe if you don't have the function enabled. It makes the car feel more sporty by altering the throttle map and tightening up the steering.
Karl.

Not sure mate but it has full Audi history.
I've heard of ADS but Auto function sounds perfect?
When I drive a bit sporty I have noticed the steering wheel tightens up.

Reactions: TahirS
Glad that works for you, the car is a lot more responsive in dynamic mode, throttle map makes the accelerator more like an on / off switch in mine.

Karl.

Had some time over the last week or so.

Removed the air box butterfly

Iuld8sL.jpg

Also, started work on the tune.
For stage 1 I want to keep stock hardware including DPF and just remove EGR from software.

Even with the correct damos file this sofware it's not a easy task over 20k labels.
I was being limited to 620nm torq limit - but finding the limiter for this has resolved this issue.
Anyways after many revisions (all over boot mode) the MAF (hfm) is maxed out and remains flat lined after 3.5k :)
EGR is off via software

Nice punch in the midrange with healthy IQ of 86mg

It’s nice to see the fuel pump is keeping and there is no pressure drop so far.

ybIfS9T.jpg

For stage 2 (DPF off) I will replace the MAP sensor with a 4 bar unit and change the tune for a maf delete (this will not be an easy job and will require many hours in calibrating fuel)

I will book a dyno slot this week and see what it does.

DPF delete will be with me soon :)

VlW3C5H.jpg

EsH0Anq.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: aqibi2000, A4AllroadS and Chop.
Nice work. What advantages do you get for removing butterfly valve in air filter?

The actuator that controls the butterfly could break or jam so removed it to ensure i have flow to keep intake and egt's down.

Right, so if it's working there is no point to remove it? Also did you weld yourself the downpipe? I had maf delete on my 2.0tdi pd just because I need to fit sport filter, as oem didn't fit with gtb2056vk. What advantage you will get on 3.0 without maf?

I would remove the flap it has only benefits

I wish I could weld like that mate :)
It's a contact I use for this kind of work.

As for why go MAFless - like i mentioned the maf is currently maxed out @ 900kg/h after 3.5k which means I can no longer use it to as a input for knowing how much air is coming in (and therefore use it for IQ)
When I go mafless the smokelim will require many hours of calibration as I need to guess the air going into the engine. This guess will be in a map based on boost and rpm.

Also the physical restriction of the maf will be removed and straight pipe can be fitted between the air box and turbo.

Cheers

Ok, so my next mode will be flap delete :) I was thinking about downpipe like that, but I don't want to swap dpf on every 2 years to pass MOT. I have DPF housing but it's empty inside, probably with downpipe like yours exhaust should sound nicer. Looking forward to your mods.

Made it to the dyno today

x49rMQM.jpg

Stock car with stock map:

GNfjWZc.jpg

Stage 1 tune with stock hardware (inc dpf):
313hp 650nm

rOXtFHK.jpg

Pleased with the result

Just a shame I went on such a hot day. My air charge temp were showing 80deg on the dyno runs. I need to confirm at what temp does the torque limiter kick in.
More digging into the map tomorrow.

Next fit the 3" dpf delete pipe, remove the egr and maybe the maf.

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, V6 Quatt, Chop. and 2 others
Strong results from just a remap and dpf delete, keep up the good work Bobby !

My a6 3.0 tdi engine runs as hot as lava !!
The crappy intercoolers said don't help on mine.

Good figures - interesting to see what's next

I'm not convinced the stock intercooler on the CCWA is poor - in fact for a stock item it is performing really well. Just in the dyno cell yesterday's temp was very warm. - I'll be going back soon enough.

Strong results from just a remap and dpf delete, keep up the good work Bobby !

Thanks Chris - stage 1 was with dpf - I'll post the dyno graph's on tdiclub once I've got the results for the dpf off

Great results from a map without having to get rid of the dpf!
Thanks Matt

Excellent work inspiring me now...
Thanks

On graph is AT , air temperature and IT , intake temperature ?
Atmospheric temp and Inside Temp (cell)
Air temp is a input for torqlim, but looking at the map I would run on the smokelim first. Smokelim works with airmass. So for equal boost you get less airmass as the air gets hotter.

Removed the DPF pipe yesterday and fitted the 3" delete pipe.

Impressive fit.

zEvTpgL.jpg

O83YeTM.jpg

XhmbdMQ.jpg

Performs much better during low and mid-range rpm now.

Still need to perform some logging to see if the N75 requires a tweak as the dpf restriction has been removed.
There is zero smoke which is great.

After logging I will establish if there is any scope for more fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, Chop. and Gazwould