BNS 5.0 headunit preouts?

sliced

Drive safe, stay alive.
Reaction score
Hi just wondering does the BNS 5.0 headunit for a 2006 a3 have preouts for a sub?

Whats the best way to connect rca cables from an aftermarket sub?

Yes all Audi HU's (apart from the very lowly ones) have front and rear pre-outs, they are detailed on the schematic on top of the HU. They all need to be able to drive the Bose system (if upgraded) so this is why they have to have line outs. They are not on a standard RCA connection though.
On the non Bose system the easiest way to drive an amp for a proper sub is to use the rear pre-outs and remote on already going to the stock tupperware sub behind the passenger side boot trim.
You can't unplug the connector though as the amp inside the stock sub also drives the rear speakers, so you need to use wire taps or similar to get the left & right signals and remote on trigger.
8PSubPinout.jpg

Reactions: sliced
Wicked, I didn't have to go anywhere near the headunit, managed to tap into the feeds from the existing non Bose sub in the back.

Would've been easier/neater if I could've done that but the extra panels in the boot due to the soft-top meant I couldnt get at the amp... not with the amount of time/effort I was prepared to put it!

Was there a remote turn-on output from the stock amp which you used??