BMW M235i on order, test drove an RS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4CAB

Reaction score
Its been niggling in my mind that I hadn't driven an RS3 before ordering the BMW M235i. I have had a string of Audis but know I don't want another S3.

The RS3 is very different car with much more look at me body styling and more noise both in and outside the cabin. The engine sounds nice but different to the M235i engine. It was a very wet day so the traction was put to the test and very impressive with a very strong pull from the 367 BHP 5 pot.

My views are based on the normal journeys I do on A roads and motorways with a lot of poor condition normal roads too and the test drive took them all in.

Good points - Engine power, traction, super sport seats in the demo car and the pop up sat/nav screen.

Not so good points IMHO - Far less subtle than the M235i, louder in noise and looks, ride on the 19" wheels not so good as the M235i on 18" wheels. Difference in price over the M235i. The demo car had a rattle from the dashboard.

There is no denying that the RS3 is quicker off the mark than the M235i especially in the wet.

Last edited:
I've just px'd my second m135i against the RS4. If you want a fabulous toy they are great fun, if you want an all weather work horse stay quattro.

you should consider winter wheels essential and an lsd plus arbs close to if the m235i s your main car.

Me, if i could, i would have kept the m135i as a summer / track toy.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Your the guy off the M135i forum?

I loved my M135i in most ways BUT, it really did show me how limited a RWD car is in the UK, I live in the south east with the least rainfall in Britain and it still rains on average a 1/3 of the year, then take damp mornings, cold mornings, poor road surfaces and no LSD and it really showed me how limited for traction the car is, yes on a dry day it was great and yes people will say that gentle throttle modulation will keep the rears from spinning but you'll then be going a lot slower than an equivelant powers 4WD car, my M135i would snake all the time pulling out of damp junctions or off wet roundabouts with even a hint of attempted throttle fun which then made it essentially a summer time car only.
People will say RWD is more fun but who are we kidding does the average person drift their way to tesco? People will say 4WD is boring, how? As far as I can see it using 100% of a cars performance 100% of the time is more fun than 100% only say 20% of the year

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, Jake 61, Rocketer and 2 others
Have to agree .... Great engines & gearboxes but I would not have another Bimmer either in this country - just not suitable to our weather, unless it's your 2nd or summer car.

Reactions: Jake 61
The amount of RWD high performance cars in UK I am not sure it's that big an issue unless you drive like a tool all the time but as I mention the traction is a big advantage over the BMW but only really from staring off.

I really hoped Audi had fixed the long standing 8P dashboard squeaks and door seal noises but both existed on the RS3 I drove :(

I think the BMW is better compared to the S3 to be honest but I don't want another 4 pot and the RS3 engine is superb.

I think that the difference between the M135i which is unique in its field and to the rest of the performance RWD in the UK is that with the others like the C63 even at normal speeds you have got that V8 chugging away and the exhaust note to go with it, the M1/235i I found to be no sense of occasion when taking it really easy, it needed to set your pants on fire to be fun and the lack of diff and traction limited the ability to do that, people will say about the noise of the 6 pot engine but the noise is quite heavily synthesised through the speakers, turn it off and it's quite a shock how quiet the cars engine is so that spoilt its biggest trump card for me.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Yep igmr from babybmw. I think they banned me when I said I'm getting the RS3. Glad to be coming back into Quattro, hoping to get the M135i PX'd for the RS3 before the predicted bad weather hits..

Wish I could afford to run both the RS3 and the M135i.

You'll find the lack of traction of the M235i quite entertaining especially come winter as the engine loosens off and the tyres get a little older. Great fun mostly but wearing those times you just want to cover the miles. Becomes a big issue if, like me, you live at the top of a hill.

There is no right or wrong preference here, very different vehicles built to very different design criteria. BMW for a toy, Audi for business. I am sure you'll be very happy with the M235i, it is just the right balance to be lovable.

I just like the reassurance of quattro 4 wheel drive and knowing it will get me further in bad conditions and keep me safer too.

Yes 4WD is not the answer to everything and it will not overcome ice etc, but it will get you through snow where front wheel drive cars struggle and frankly rear wheel drive cars just don't stand a chance - I know I have seen the abandoned cars (mostly BMW's).

In the wet, quattro is far safer and reassuring.

With the UK weather getting more unpredictable - colder / wetter etc, I just don't entertain a rear wheel drive car, especially when Audi give me a quattro equivelent for the same money in most cases.

Defo not knocking Bimmers, just rear wheel drive cars in general which for me are a no no.

I'm sure the M235i will be a great car.

Reactions: NevMan and DAYTONA 500
It's great to see a balanced view on this unlike many forums

Reactions: Jake 61 and RGBARGEE
I had m135i and traded it for the rs3
M135i was nice but as has been noted it's a mini gt car rather than hot hatch I feel as it was just too soft lovely engine and box but too soft and quiet in the long run I missed the feeling of my old rs4 the special feeling the sporty handling and the noise. Rs3 I hope fills that gap for me as I didn't see point spending loads getting the m135i to where I felt it should be.

Am open to all cars just love cars in general. Bmw ave had a few but they never last long in general the rwd becomes tiresome lol
There 6cylinder diesels are lovely tho compared to all the 4 pit versions of your into that

Looked at BM 5 and 3 series diesels and concluded Audi 3.0Tdi was better particularly the Bi-Turbo. BMW generally just don't quite make the grade for me. Tacky, clingy and the quality perceived or otherwise is not as good as Audi. Mr Audi please send me a cheque or a bigger discount off my RS3 please ;-)

Reactions: Pulp84
Lol like it RG the 3.0 Audi is lovely engine also. I was disappointed with the Bmw interior it was lovely to look at but was quite plasticy didn't think it would be

I liked BMW 2002tii and 3.0CSl 'Batmobile'.
I ran an employee car lease scheme for my employer and drove most versions 3/5 from 1988 -2000. Subsequently I seriously looked at a 330CSi Cab ... bought Audi.. a 530d ... bought Audi.. a 320 Estate for Mrs... bought Audi.. Looked at new i series.. bought Audi... I can honestly say that I do think they are rubbish in comparison with Audi.. Neighbours have had GT, X1,X3 1 series and the finish etc is really not good in my opinion.

Snobbish I know but one of the problems I had with the M135i was that unlike its rivals the A45 and RS3 the BMW really showed that it wasn't full blown M car, suspension and lack of diff were the major points, it's quite soft and others have said its more of a GT cruiser, over a rough road near me the vertical travel on the suspension was huge it was like a bouncy castle, when I moved onto the A45 it felt much more focused in the handling department.

I actually prefer theM135i to the A45! incoming... reckon MB are as bad as or worse than BMW these days... all bling and lycra.

Never had a Merc.

Went to enquire on two occasions ....

Once for the original A45 AMG, then last year for the facelift ...

Both times got sick of waiting for a salesman so cleared off - very poor customer handling and that was enough to put us off.

So first time went and got the S5 and the last time ordered the RS3 :)

If i ever try a 3rd time think i will have to try a different Dealer lol !

Reactions: NevMan and Statler
The dealer experience is so important. I used to avoid our local Audi dealer until they changed hands in 2007. As for BMW the local dealer 'Love it **** (short for Richard)' or some such name is so bad I will not go near.. Falseness, lack of product knowledge and too much bling and lycra.. I will travel to Devon or the Cotswolds to look rather than visit the Bristol Branch. MB locally OK but the product... I don't play golf, nor do I have a 70 year old wife on tow with a pooch...nor do I wear beige cords.... Just stereotyping (both hands at once)...

You're right RG ..... I've had exceptional customer service from my Audi Dealer for the last 8 years - and it does build some trust & loyalty.

I always push them to the max on deals for new cars and it helps I really l really love Audi cars but having a good Dealer really does enhance the car ownership experience.

Reactions: NevMan
Absolutely... I struggle a bit more with Bristol Audi these days. Used to get on really well with the General Manager Richard T who sadly died suddenly 2.5 years ago.. somehow I never feel I have had quite such a good deal these days but OK. Trouble with many main dealers is they judge you on what you are wearing on the day ... **** Love it Richard BMW in Bristol can't be bothered approaching scruff bums like me not realising they probably can probably afford any car in the place.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Some interesting comments.
RWD is possible to drive in the snow, it is not impossible, it just takes more skill than FWD or AWD (but I would say that ;))...I drove my E90 M3 on 19s with summer tyres past a lot of dumped FWD cars in snow, and my only difficulty was getting it on my drive due to the incline and compacted ice.

RWD is purer driving in my view - if you can learn to balance the car properly, there is no doubt you can drive faster because the car will be lighter not having the extra diffs and the steering is clean without being hampered by the drivetrain.

Having said all that, I was tempted by the M2 vs RS3, but, the sound of the RS3 is too good, and the practicality plus aftersales care at my dealer helped swing me. (My wife drives a Q7, and we bought that instead of a BMW due to the poor service I received with the M3!).

Given that, ditch your order for the M235i and order an RS3 - the engine is truly awesome and as others have said, the M235i is not a real M-car.

I am now having to learn to drive again, as the RS3 is definitely different...will be booking some training with CAT Driver Training at Millbrook
(if you've never had advanced driving instruction, these guys are amazing, and Millbrook is fantastic)

Keep your order in, the M235i is a great car. Traction is fine in summer even in the wet. Gets a bit iffy as the temperatures drop more than a bit if the road is greasy but that is why BMW recommend their winter wheel packs below 7C. Not quite as good an all round solution as an RS3 but certainly viable. Even with winters it will squirm about occasionally as the torque kicks in but manageable albeit with the occasional bum clencher moments. I think that is what is known as the fun element of BMW ownership.

RS3 is bought with the heart not the head imho, doesn't stack up on paper vs cheaper rivals but I'm smiling every day!

TX.

Reactions: NevMan, jimojameso, RGBARGEE and 1 other person
RS3 is bought with the heart not the head imho, doesn't stack up on paper vs cheaper rivals but I'm smiling every day!

TX.

Exactly !

Zero compromise with the RS3 ... just endless smiles & enjoyment :)

Reactions: NevMan, DAYTONA 500 and RGBARGEE
What were your finals thoughts mate, sticking with the BMW order?

Traded in my RS3 yesterday for an M4, totally different kind of car and RWD will take some getting used to

What were your finals thoughts mate, sticking with the BMW order?

Traded in my RS3 yesterday for an M4, totally different kind of car and RWD will take some getting used to

Blimey Billy - why trade the RS3 "so soon" ????????????

Surely Dealer shafted you on part ex price or did you manage a huge disocunt on the M4 to off-set ?

Any pics of the new beast then ? :)

Only dealer ones at the moment as not had the weather or time for decent ones!

bc0d7138d1e5ab85c81180ae09c25415.jpg

a7ca63524b66d24a78904396d3e43c66.jpg

Wow, externally that is sooooooo much nicer looking than any current Audi product.
A lot of grunt through the rear, watch out for bumps.

Reactions: billyali86
I've had 3 M135i's, 2 auto and one manual so I guess you can say I'm a fan of the car and the brand. TBH I never had any issues with traction unless we had snow, for this I had a winter set up and never got stuck once.

I only switched brands as fancied a change and have enjoyed the S3 I currently own but missed the sound of <4 cylinders hence why my RS3 arrives March 1st.

I wouldn't cancel the M235 order as it really does look great and offers exceptional value, do hope you ordered via TRL though as his deals are amazing !

If you didn't PM me and I'll share contact details...

Issue with M2 is limited numbers, long waiting list and full list price, the previous model does hold its value exceptionally well though so could be a 'sensible' purchase.

I think I'll be going for one after the RS3..

Yes, demand outweighs supply for M2s, no deliveries at UK for current orders until 2017...

RS3 is a great option for that zone. My concern would be arrival of facelift this year, but surely discounts will go higher with that factor, and RS3 probably will not change too much (except big tech upgrade).

audi-a3-2017-hatchback-s-line-201625230_7.jpg

Is it limited numbers? Thought it was going to be a free for all on the m2 like m4 and 3?

The latest news was that it is not limited production but the fact that the M2 doesn't have a dedicated production line like the M3/4's means they have to pull regular 2 series off the line to turn them into M2's which takes longer so limits the amount they can produce, so they sort of are and are not limited production lol the discounts you can get on half decent spec M4/3's at the moment I think anyone would be mad to order an M2 especially as it doesn't come with half the regular 'M' trinkets

Still no spy shot of facelift RS3 though asport! I still maintain we won't see one on the road this year.

TX.

Reactions: ascottr, RGBARGEE and Snake Pliskin
No, only spyshots for facelifted A3 sedan and facelifted A3 S-Line. Spyshots for cabrio, sportback, S3 and RS3 coming in next months.
This year just started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.