bmw 1 serie?

StephaneS

Reaction score
Seen it in the flesh yesterday and it looks so much better than on pictures!
I am well impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I checked the engine available but nothing very sporty. Does anyone know if they will launch anything with 200+ bhp?
Anyone seen one and what do you think?
Or even better has anyone test driven one? what's the handling like?

Yes I test-drove a 120d which for now is the fastest one you can get.

With 163 turbodiesel horses and a whole mountain of torque it's not slow at all. I drove an SE-spec car at the launch and it seemed to handle extremely well but then 45mins hoofing around Kensington&Chelsea doesn't exactly extend the chassis all that much. Not too dieselly either.

However, in the metal I didn't like it nearly as much as in the press pictures. It REALLY needs the biggest wheels you can find to stop the proportions looking quite peculiar. One of my girlfriend's neighbours has a grey one, but even in Sport spec it's just rather mumsy-looking.

And.......the interior quality was not what I expected. Poor quality plastics - I would single out the hard hollow-sounding instrument binnacle and the awful plastic hinges on the back of the drivers armrest for particular abuse. Really very cheap. Comfy though and I didn't think the rear was that cramped given some of the test reports.

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
Yes I test-drove a 120d which for now is the fastest one you can get.

With 163 turbodiesel horses and a whole mountain of torque it's not slow at all. I drove an SE-spec car at the launch and it seemed to handle extremely well but then 45mins hoofing around Kensington&Chelsea doesn't exactly extend the chassis all that much. Not too dieselly either.

However, in the metal I didn't like it nearly as much as in the press pictures. It REALLY needs the biggest wheels you can find to stop the proportions looking quite peculiar. One of my girlfriend's neighbours has a grey one, but even in Sport spec it's just rather mumsy-looking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found it really ugly at first but yesterday I was well chuffed. I am pretty sure it was a sport version though.

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
And.......the interior quality was not what I expected. Poor quality plastics - I would single out the hard hollow-sounding instrument binnacle and the awful plastic hinges on the back of the drivers armrest for particular abuse. Really very cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sh*t. do you know if the sport is any different?

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
Comfy though and I didn't think the rear was that cramped given some of the test reports.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think it is as good as the sportback? What about the boot, would golf clubs fit? That's what is killing me in the A3

Steph, you are not seriously considering a 1-Series BMW over your V6 just for the sake of some Golf clubs are you?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not yet
but when I'll go back to France, I'll have a very different lifestyle (ie less money, kids...) so will have to take a diesel and 5 doors and I was hoping the 1-series would suit me with 3.0 diesel engine of the 330d
I mean 40mpg, 220bhp and 400Nm in that lighter car would suit me well.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
I would miss the V6 growl though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Can't imagine the quality differs between models. If anything SE should be the best.

As a non-golfer I cannot comment on whether or not the boot is bigger but it did seem pretty adequate. That said I'm sure test reports said the Sportback is more spacious and there is a hefty difference is boot space between a quattro and non-quattro A3.

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
Can't imagine the quality differs between models. If anything SE should be the best.

[/ QUOTE ]
yep you may be right

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
As a non-golfer I cannot comment on whether or not the boot is bigger but it did seem pretty adequate. That said I'm sure test reports said the Sportback is more spacious and there is a hefty difference is boot space between a quattro and non-quattro A3.

[/ QUOTE ]
well i have compared the boot of the 2.0FSI sportback with my A3 Quattro 3door at the local dealer and there was not enough difference to fit any more clubs...
I mean clubs are only an example, but good for comparing boot practicality. On my previous Astra Coupe I could put all golf clubs and trolley in no prob
BTW I am cr*p at golf hence the reason I need to play often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif