BMN Engine Timing Torsion Value

Kirit Shah

Reaction score
Afternoon!

New here as my partner has just taken her first foray into the VAG word with a 2007 A3 2.0TDI BMN engine.

Overall, the car is absolutely great. However there was a small issue in that the car can smoke a small amount at idle and you can smell it in the interior quite a lot - very dieselly smell. I've only ever owned petrol cars so wasn't sure if this was just a diesel thing but have read a bit online about Torsion values and them being out can have this kind of effect. Engine seems smooth enough, sounds a bit dieselly but that's a PD diesel right?

Anyway, I hooked up VCDS lite in block 4 it comes up with "steering angle sensor" - 3.39 degrees. Isn't block 4 meant to be torsion value?

Anyone know what the optimal value is for a BMN engine?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• vcds1.JPG
    vcds1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 409
I've sorted this now...

Just as an update for anyone who may find themselves in the same situation in the future - yes, i guess on *some* versions of VCDS lite, torsion value comes up as "steering angle sensor". I marked, then adjusted the inlet cam (nearest to the front of the car) anticlockwise by what must have been 1mm and the car refused to start (i guess anticlockwise was advance when i was already at 3.37degrees advance!). So i moved it the other way from the original line in what must have been 0.5mm and the car fired up and torsion value is now 0.00 with it going to 0.3 when revved.

Car sounds smoother and i'm sure there is less smoke, although its quite hard to tell as it's blowing a gale out there at the moment. I'll check tomorrow to see the smoke situation.