Bluetooth Options?

Chrismawa

Reaction score
I've got a retrofitted RNSE unit in my B7. What bluetooth options are available for it? How easy is it to add the OEM bluetooth module to it?

I have OEM Bluetooth model I fitted and to be honest it only gives you Telephone calls and has an canyoning bong sound when
it connects and disconnects the phone.
To be honest there are better after market bluetooth kits that have phone and music streaming, I'm sure someone will recommend one.

As above really .
I tried a few HU's OE ones and Aftermarket , unless you want to stick with OE units for what ever reason then try a decent aftermarket device.
I have an Alpine HU and its been in since this time last year and i cant fault it.
Apple car play etc , excellent BT etc , maps and all i need with a full screen too, really makes the OE units dated in looks and spec.
Just my totally biased opinion....:yahoo::thumbs up:

I have an aftermarket Pioneer unit in mine which supports appleplay and android auto. IMHO much better than the RNS-E offerring.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I want to keep the RNSE though as I like it and think its looks better in the dash than an aftermarket. It would mainly be for phone calls so the OEM bluetooth would be fine. Just not sure if its easy to do?

Reactions: tr7
As we allways say, personal choice.:yes:

Reactions: Chrismawa
I want to keep the RNSE though as I like it and think its looks better in the dash than an aftermarket. It would mainly be for phone calls so the OEM bluetooth would be fine. Just not sure if its easy to do?
I bought mine from Ebay, it came with the module, Quadlock cable and microphone.
You need to buy a high module, and your RNSE software has to be at a certain level, and you need VCDS to programme it.
If you do a search on line you will find fitting guide, not hard to do if your good with basic tools.
Try to get one that was fitted to A4 B7, as I think others with the same part number from other module were coded using Can Bus,
so if you get one from an A3, you might not be able to connect to it.

Bluetooth for calls or Music?

My Car came with RNS-E + Bluetooth (Phone).

I've added this for Music, though I think it also would work for calls.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetoot...537567?hash=item2ce790099f:g:sFUAAOSwoutckTzs

For the money it's incredibly hard to beat. Just plug into the back of RNS-E change setting with VCDS and it works flawlessly

I suggest trying this first before going down more expensive routes. It must be Bluetooth 4.0 as the music is crystal clear

Reactions: Chrismawa

Im in the same boat at the minute. I love the way the RNSE sits in the dash and keeps everything looking oem but at the same time its just too outdated imo, just got to find oue that isnt too chavvy

Im in the same boat at the minute. I love the way the RNSE sits in the dash and keeps everything looking oem but at the same time its just too outdated imo, just got to find oue that isnt too chavvy
Honestly try the adaptor I linked. I thought I buying it to eventually figure out to do it properly but it's been great. Might be the best £6 I've ever spent! and I'm usually an OEM man through and through

Bluetooth for calls or Music?

My Car came with RNS-E + Bluetooth (Phone).

I've added this for Music, though I think it also would work for calls.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetoot...537567?hash=item2ce790099f:g:sFUAAOSwoutckTzs

For the money it's incredibly hard to beat. Just plug into the back of RNS-E change setting with VCDS and it works flawlessly

I suggest trying this first before going down more expensive routes. It must be Bluetooth 4.0 as the music is crystal clear

Do you have a CD Changer in the car or more specific is that connector normally reserved for connection of CD Changer? I have one mounted in my glove box, never use it and currently use a Radio Transmitter plugged into cigarette lighter for Bluetooth. It works actually remarkable well without much static background hissing you normally get with these but always fancied a more OEM solution. Which ideally should also mean keeping the CD changer if at all possible and have both connected. How did you wire in the electrics? Is it plugged into a constant Live, thus potential for battery drain or somehow switched to go off?

My car came with an iPod dock in that space in the glovebox, but yes this replaces that connector.

When connected and enabled with VCDS under Sources 'Aux' shows on your RNS-E

I generally like OEM ways myself, but I'd never even use a CD-Player if my car had one since I can play all my music, podcasts, youtube etc from my phone.

Zero static or background hissing. Seriously, it's surprisingly good for the money. I thought it would be mediocre but sound quality is great

Honestly try the adaptor I linked. I thought I buying it to eventually figure out to do it properly but it's been great. Might be the best £6 I've ever spent! and I'm usually an OEM man through and through

Ive already fitted an oem style Aux input to my B7, and fitted the jack port in the glovebox and it works great. Its the Bluetooth phone connectivity and nav im looking to upgrade to some more modern tech

My car came with an iPod dock in that space in the glovebox, but yes this replaces that connector.

When connected and enabled with VCDS under Sources 'Aux' shows on your RNS-E

I generally like OEM ways myself, but I'd never even use a CD-Player if my car had one since I can play all my music, podcasts, youtube etc from my phone.

Zero static or background hissing. Seriously, it's surprisingly good for the money. I thought it would be mediocre but sound quality is great

Tempted now, actually have been for a while. Did you have to enable with VCDS or since Aux was already enabled for the iPod dock (or in my case CD Changer) did it just pick up? I don't have access to VCDS sadly so would otherwise have to find someone to enable. And where did you pick up the Live wire from if I may ask please?
Apologies Alex for diverting the thread slightly, I have OEM phone connection already installed but the lack of music streaming has been a little annoying to date. And the lack of full post code search on the RNSE but that was quickly fixed with an update ......

I at first swapped my iPod unit (30 pin connector) for a 3.5mm Aux cable which was great, but then upgraded my phone which has no headphone jack..

So while going down the rabbit hole of researching the best BT option I saw these and thought it was worth a punt. And haven't look back

It wasn't what I was expecting, but the only fault I have with it is that I've wired it to permanent power rather than on ignition which is my own fault

Tempted now, actually have been for a while. Did you have to enable with VCDS or since Aux was already enabled for the iPod dock (or in my case CD Changer) did it just pick up? I don't have access to VCDS sadly so would otherwise have to find someone to enable. And where did you pick up the Live wire from if I may ask please?
Apologies Alex for diverting the thread slightly, I have OEM phone connection already installed but the lack of music streaming has been a little annoying to date. And the lack of full post code search on the RNSE but that was quickly fixed with an update ......
I had to enable it in VCDS I believe when I first used my 3.5mm Aux jack, don't remember having to change anything when plugged in BT adaptor. But if you've nothing in that socket in the RNS-E you'll definitely need it enabled. It's a 2 min job on laptop if you can find a member near you
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/pages/VCDS-Map/

As for powering, I haven't done it permanently yet (as I thought I'd end up looking at another OEM solution in the long run).
So mine is currently plugged into the fuse box via one of theses. Just run a cable behind the headunit along behind the steering column and into the fuse box which on the end of the dash on the driverside. Simple job and more than adequate if you're not super fussy.
Amazon product

RNSE maybe OE fittment but it is old now like our cars, and for most the oem units will be 10-12 years old unless you fit a mk2 which wont be a b7 fitment off the shelf and to be honest they don't offer much more over the mk1.

I like oem fitment as much as the next guy but there is such a good range of aftermarket devices that really do put the RNSE to shame.
having been with the full screen Alpine device for a year , would i swap back to rnse, not a chance .
The alpine is so much better in every dept and i hate to say this as i'm not a mobile phone person etc, but , my iphone integrates seemlessly with the Alpine and it been a real win win situation.

Just my input, but dont have a closed mind to aftermarket devices , try one and see.:icon thumright:

does'nt look to bad either.

Upload 2020 8 9 15 51 20

I had to enable it in VCDS I believe when I first used my 3.5mm Aux jack, don't remember having to change anything when plugged in BT adaptor. But if you've nothing in that socket in the RNS-E you'll definitely need it enabled. It's a 2 min job on laptop if you can find a member near you
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/pages/VCDS-Map/

As for powering, I haven't done it permanently yet (as I thought I'd end up looking at another OEM solution in the long run).
So mine is currently plugged into the fuse box via one of theses. Just run a cable behind the headunit along behind the steering column and into the fuse box which on the end of the dash on the driverside. Simple job and more than adequate if you're not super fussy.
Amazon product

Even more tempted now :) Aux should be enabled as that's how the CD Changer comes into play if I remember correctly. Would need to check again to be sure, tested it once and that was it as I no longer use CDs. And if the Changer plugs into the same socket, which I believe it does it should be a straight swap over then. Picking up Live from fuse box shouldn't be an issue but ideally I want mine switched to avoid battery drain. It's not a daily driver being a Cab but in general that may be a little project I might be tempted to try. Not really a huge expense at the end of day. Thanks for the eBay link btw, might follow that up, seen several out there but good to know you've tested it already .....

Reactions: tr7
Even more tempted now :) Aux should be enabled as that's how the CD Changer comes into play if I remember correctly. Would need to check again to be sure, tested it once and that was it as I no longer use CDs. And if the Changer plugs into the same socket, which I believe it does it should be a straight swap over then. Picking up Live from fuse box shouldn't be an issue but ideally I want mine switched to avoid battery drain. It's not a daily driver being a Cab but in general that may be a little project I might be tempted to try. Not really a huge expense at the end of day. Thanks for the eBay link btw, might follow that up, seen several out there but good to know you've tested it already .....
Indeed, like I said I will make it ignition powered (so it auto connects my phone!) I put it together as a temporary solution to se but it's been great, much better than expected so haven't changed it as yet. No battery drain issues for me, months on now, even over lockdown/little/twice a week driving. It draws almost nothing

Never looked into those Alex to be honest as i wanted full screen really but its got the OEM look so maybe more what you are thinking, a lot of guys have them and very happy.

I
Never looked into those Alex to be honest as i wanted full screen really but its got the OEM look so maybe more what you are thinking, a lot of guys have them and very happy.

Looked a while back before fitting my rnse but talked my self out of it and went oem. Its only after using the oem unit for a while ive realised how out of date it is! Time for a change i think

I would'nt go back now, i'd miss all the brilliant modern features my alpine offers, even the alpine phone app that lets me configure more function than i'd ever need..

I would'nt go back now, i'd miss all the brilliant modern features my alpine offers, even the alpine phone app that lets me configure more function than i'd ever need..

Alpine and pioneer Hu are another options of course. Im personally just not a fan of the facia plates you need to install. I will have to make some sacrifices somewhere i suppose

Using a quality fascia plate is a small sacrifice Alex compared to the gains you'll make.:icon thumright: