Bluetooth for calls and music streaming

George Kost

Reaction score
After have read many topics, I decided to open a new topic because most of the posts I have read are really old, and most of the links don't work. .
I am a new owner of a used A3 8P 2009 1.4 TFSI.

I have the standard 2 din Concert radio, with AUX next to the handbrake.
I believe it has the quadlock connector. Didn't check yet since I wait for the removal keys to arrive.

I need to add bluetooth functionality, for both calls and music streaming.

After many hours of search, I found many adapters that connect to the CD port (white connector). Such the one in this link: Link
If I understand correctly, I will see in the radio and DIS "Track XX".
Similar to the connects2 product: Link

If I understand correctly again, if I want to display the song titles and phonebook in the DIS, I think I have to spend like more than 200€.
Like the Fiscon Basic.

In my honest opinion, I believe that it is not worth it.
No problem at all with seeing "Track XX" at the price of around 50€ more or less.

Am I missing something?
Is there any other product I should consider with a price less than 100€?

In my previous car (Mini Cooper S 2004), I had a simple bluetooth adapter that was connected to the AUX plug and I still did my job!

Best regards,
George

Forgot to mention that I do not have yet MFSW. It is in the todo list.
The ones that show information on the DIS display, only use the MFSW buttons?

Hi George. Check out the Bluetooth streaming unit I have for sale in the classifieds. It does have the "track xx" limitation, but it works perfectly for spotify, etc, and it's cheap as chips!

Hi nick. Thanks for the info. I have seen your post already. this adapter you are selling is only for music streaming.
there is no microphone for hands free calls. i am looking for an all around solution.

Hi George. This is true. My a3 already had factory fitted Bluetooth but that only works for calls, so that device allowed me to have both. As far as I'm aware, I think you're probably looking at a full headunit replacement to get both.

After have read many topics, I decided to open a new topic because most of the posts I have read are really old, and most of the links don't work. .
I am a new owner of a used A3 8P 2009 1.4 TFSI.

I have the standard 2 din Concert radio, with AUX next to the handbrake.
I believe it has the quadlock connector. Didn't check yet since I wait for the removal keys to arrive.

I need to add bluetooth functionality, for both calls and music streaming.

After many hours of search, I found many adapters that connect to the CD port (white connector). Such the one in this link: Link
If I understand correctly, I will see in the radio and DIS "Track XX".
Similar to the connects2 product: Link

If I understand correctly again, if I want to display the song titles and phonebook in the DIS, I think I have to spend like more than 200€.
Like the Fiscon Basic.

In my honest opinion, I believe that it is not worth it.
No problem at all with seeing "Track XX" at the price of around 50€ more or less.

Am I missing something?
Is there any other product I should consider with a price less than 100€?

In my previous car (Mini Cooper S 2004), I had a simple bluetooth adapter that was connected to the AUX plug and I still did my job!

Best regards,
George

there is one called Grom Audio that does what you want, about £130 I think

I have a FISCON with Quadlock works with DIS and MFSW? Pm for details

there is one called Grom Audio that does what you want, about £130 I think
Thanks! Nice product as well.
I beleive it does not support the quadlock connector. It is for the older ISO connector. Link
In the pick list, they only have up to 2009 models.

Thanks! Nice product as well.
I beleive it does not support the quadlock connector. It is for the older ISO connector. Link
In the pick list, they only have up to 2009 models.

It will work on all A3 8p’s as they all use the same connectors apart from the really early ones. From what I believe the grom audio doesn’t connect to the quadlock connector anyway, it connects to the cd changer port.

Ok so I have the typical quadlock connector.
The blue connector is the CD one. There are some cables now as I already have the AUX plug.
I believe I will have to combine the pins of the AUX and the Bluetooth adapter into one connector.
I also have some cables in the second connector but didn’t check witch pins were connected. Will check.

Attachments

• F24BD3A2-DAFF-4020-A030-70E7F235FF04.jpeg
    F24BD3A2-DAFF-4020-A030-70E7F235FF04.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 263
Jumping on the back of this, I hve the 30pin iPod connector in the glove box.

If I use a lightening adaptor, will this work with iPhone 10?

Not overly worried about track listings, just cheap way to get audio through to head unit...

If anyone has done this I would be greatful for info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi m8 . what about a parrot kit. i still have one from before i upgraded to an android head unit . did music from sd card or bluetooth and phone calls . it comes with both quadlock adapters for a3s with bose or without. if your interested let me know.

eddo

Thanks eddo.
I have already ordered one like the links from my first post for under 50€.
Which parot model did you have installed? Did it show the artist information in the DIS screen?

hi george. it is the mki9200 . cant remember if it displayed the info in the dis but i had the screen mounted by the centre vents so was easy to see who was calling or other info.
i liked being able to mount the remote anywhere .

eddo

Today I have received a Bluetooth adapter. I bought it from eBay. For both calls and streaming!
Placed the mic just behind the steering wheel. I also have ordered the original mic and cable to place it in the light compartment. I just have to make it to a 3.5mm jack.
Streaming and call quality is perfect!
This is the one I bought Link.
Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

Hi George, sorry to sound thick, I am, but is this all you need to stream music and answer your android phone calls with the steering wheel? I was considering getting the 8P1 862 335 or another chinese android but your solution seems simpler and more elegant. Do you need VCDS to set it up?

Taff

Hi, I don’t have multifunction steering wheel. So I cannot answer to your question.

The module I installed, replicates the CD player. So for example on the head unit and DIS says CD1 Track1.

If you are playing music from the radio and you have an incoming call, the head unit displays nothing. but if you press the CD button to switch to the module, it automatically answers the call.

Also, if you are playing music from the Bluetooth, you control the tracks with the “next” and “previous” buttons. and if you receive a call while playing from Bluetooth, you accept the call with the “next” button.

I hope it helps.

Very useful this as looking to do the same thing. Product sold out now...will keep checking.

How did you end up plugging it in? Did you combine the wires from the blue connector into the new connector that came with BT adapter? Does ur AUX still work?

Hey,
Yes I combined the two connectors.
If I remember correctly, on the connector of the Bluetooth module, there where empty slots where the Aux-L and Aux-R go. But the Aux-ground was occupied.
I contacted the seller back then and told me that I could remove and not use that wire for the Bluetooth. I think it was second ground for the Bluetooth.
So I removed it and connected the Aux-ground.
So yes the original Aux works!

Thanks Nick for the info!
Hi George,

Check the Gateway Dension for your head unit. is more around £100 and it works great. I had one on my Seat a few years ago and it would display on the dash and I could control it with the MFSW. My A3 had the single din and the compatible dension would have not display track info and found it to be too much for my needs and ended up going for a simple Sony HU with matching color palette. But check them out as they are really good in my opinion.

https://www.dension.com/automotive

Thanks lleiro!
I am not looking for a new solution at the moment.
The one that I have is perfect for my current needs.

For some reason looked like a fresh post but I was teaching all day and it was late at night! Oh well. The info is there for the next wanderer!

Reactions: George Kost