Bluefin > A3 8V 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHP review

pop80_uk

Reaction score
I looked around and could not see a review of the Bluefin for the A3 8V 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHP model, so here is my review!

I have has the A3 for around a year as standard no mods at all, I have always thought the engine was good but had a couple of spots in the rev range and power delivery which could be improved.

So I looked into various options and then decided upon the bluefin after much debate and research, mainly for these reasons:

> The map can be taken off and on with the hand held device, great for MOT time and services
> The map is known to not be as agressive as other maps
> Bluefin have a good history and reputation

So I purchased the Bluefin for my A3 8V 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHP from Demon Tweeks but you can get it direct from Bluefin:

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

Specs
Original Power 148 BHP > Increased by 29BHP to 177 BHP
Torque 250 nm > Increased by 62 nm to > 312 nm

Installation was nice and easy, plug the unit into the ODB port, follow the instructions and it downloads your original map, plug it into your computer after downloading the bluefin software and this map is wizzed across to bluefin.

They then review the map and upload your new map to your account, you get an email to confirm its ready and then you connect your bluefin into your computer again and it downloads the map to the bluefin device.

The you plug it in to your car and follow the instructions, uploading the map to the car takes around 10 - 20 minutes. A word of warning, when the map starts to upload the car goes a bit crazy, warning lights, buzzers etc. Nothing to worry about and these are cleared after the map upload process has completed.

The difference

Ok, so im going to be honest, the car feels a tiny bit quicker. Nothing momumental or to write home about, but a little quicker. The major improvement though is the delivery of power, it is so smooth now.

Before the car did not feel smooth, and the turbo felt like it was either all on or all off. After the map though it has smoothed out the power across the rev range and this makes the car pick up much quicker and deliver the power much more smoothly through the gears

1st gear > This was terrible before the map and felt really gutless, now after the map its much much better and the extra torque you can feel helping pulling off

2nd gear > This is so smooth now in the power delivery and compliments the 1st and 3rd gear ranges of power

3rd > Low down the rev range it feels much less off and on with the power and punch the throttle and you get a feeling of pace but its delivered without the punch of the turbo at 4 - 5 RPM

4th > Much the same as 3rd but certainly its reaching higher speeds quicker that it was before

5th and 6th > The torque really helps in the pick up, there is litterlly no lag now.

Conclusion:

I am very very impressed, its worth the money and has transformed my car and engine, so I would recommend. It should have come out the factory like this!

Reactions: BillyGiann
I looked around and could not see a review of the Bluefin for the A3 8V 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHP model, so here is my review!

I have has the A3 for around a year as standard no mods at all, I have always thought the engine was good but had a couple of spots in the rev range and power delivery which could be improved.

So I looked into various options and then decided upon the bluefin after much debate and research, mainly for these reasons:

> The map can be taken off and on with the hand held device, great for MOT time and services
> The map is known to not be as agressive as other maps
> Bluefin have a good history and reputation

So I purchased the Bluefin for my A3 8V 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHP from Demon Tweeks but you can get it direct from Bluefin:

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

Specs
Original Power 148 BHP > Increased by 29BHP to 177 BHP
Torque 250 nm > Increased by 62 nm to > 312 nm

Installation was nice and easy, plug the unit into the ODB port, follow the instructions and it downloads your original map, plug it into your computer after downloading the bluefin software and this map is wizzed across to bluefin.

They then review the map and upload your new map to your account, you get an email to confirm its ready and then you connect your bluefin into your computer again and it downloads the map to the bluefin device.

The you plug it in to your car and follow the instructions, uploading the map to the car takes around 10 - 20 minutes. A word of warning, when the map starts to upload the car goes a bit crazy, warning lights, buzzers etc. Nothing to worry about and these are cleared after the map upload process has completed.

The difference

Ok, so im going to be honest, the car feels a tiny bit quicker. Nothing momumental or to write home about, but a little quicker. The major improvement though is the delivery of power, it is so smooth now.

Before the car did not feel smooth, and the turbo felt like it was either all on or all off. After the map though it has smoothed out the power across the rev range and this makes the car pick up much quicker and deliver the power much more smoothly through the gears

1st gear > This was terrible before the map and felt really gutless, now after the map its much much better and the extra torque you can feel helping pulling off

2nd gear > This is so smooth now in the power delivery and compliments the 1st and 3rd gear ranges of power

3rd > Low down the rev range it feels much less off and on with the power and punch the throttle and you get a feeling of pace but its delivered without the punch of the turbo at 4 - 5 RPM

4th > Much the same as 3rd but certainly its reaching higher speeds quicker that it was before

5th and 6th > The torque really helps in the pick up, there is litterlly no lag now.

Conclusion:

I am very very impressed, its worth the money and has transformed my car and engine, so I would recommend. It should have come out the factory like this!

Reviving the thread, in order to ask about any issues over the 3 years with the tuned engine. Is the turbocharger still in tact?
I am considering going with bluefin on my 1.4 CoD, but avoiding the 2 damaged turbochargers I had when m-cantronic was installed....
Thanks!