Blue "wannabe police lights" on car

oli356

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the punishment is for blue lights being fitted to a car in the grill is?
When I was on my way home on Wednesday I had an Astra approach at speed in the 3rd lane, flashing me to move over, there was a car in the middle lane so I didn't.

The driver proceeded to turn on 2 alternating flashing blue lights in the grill. It was obviously not emergency services so I pulled over but not in a hurry to do so.... my friend (passenger) rang the police on them. Luckily the M6 had lots of traffic due to lane closures and road closures. We came off the M6 somewhere near Stafford and at the side of the road saw the same Astra surrounded by a few police cars ;)

Once they overtook me though I let them pass for a few moments before putting my foot down for a few seconds to make them feel a bit slower (Diesel Astra vs S3....) They then caught up once I had slowed down to cruising speed again and their passenger started recording me lol. Funnily enough I was talking to a police officer later in the night as one started a rolling road block due to a car on fire on the motorway, but I wasn't getting in trouble unlike the Astra driver

DN08 XGU - if anyone knows the driver, please laugh at them for me :) I also had a crazy lorry driver being an idiot in a 50 zone on the M6, tailgating, honking, flashing etc... then tried to barge me off the road when he eventually went into the 1st lane and was side by side with me before he started to change lanes and force me to get out of the way.... his company got a call, his manager called us back and we were informed he would be spoken to once he had woken up the following day after his shift had finished... eventful journey.

IMG 20180510 WA0081 IMG 20180510 WA0082 IMG 20180510 WA0065

Reactions: LawrenceH
Lol , ametures .

Like the Police use 10 year old cars .

Reactions: RS4B5, Tj 0785 and oli356
Lol , ametures .

Like the Police use 10 year old cars .
You say that but I did have a blue light vechile a VW estate which I think is 2000-2005 go past when vechiles were attending to the car fire. Maybe it wasn't police, I think fire chiefs (or whatever they are called) have blue lights in their own vechiles, so it could be other emergency services.... but it was just clear that this muppet and his pal were not :)

Don,t let the idiot in the truck tarnish your view of all lorry drivers oli356,unfortunately there are a lot of so called professional drivers that really shouldn,t be behind the wheel of a go-kart never mind a lorry.

Don,t let the idiot in the truck tarnish your view of all lorry drivers oli356,unfortunately there are a lot of so called professional drivers that really shouldn,t be behind the wheel of a go-kart never mind a lorry.
Yeah it hasn't. I've never really had a problem with any lorry driver before, he did back off finally and must have gone down to 40 mph as he became quite distant, this was after recording me (for some reason) while holding his phone..

Got a picture of how close he was to this Merc, at least I would say he was close. And at times he was no doubt closer to me.
IMG 20180510 WA0070

That certainly looks too close imo,
No excuse for driving so close but it happens all the time nowadays,when i,m working and in the truck i normally just ease up a little and let them get on their way.
Although my truck is at the higher end of the power scale of whats available (16ltr V8) it is speed limited to 54mph so i generally don,t catch many cars up:)

Reactions: oli356
No excuse for driving so close but it happens all the time nowadays,when i,m working and in the truck i normally just ease up a little and let them get on their way.
Although my truck is at the higher end of the power scale of whats available (16ltr V8) it is speed limited to 54mph so i generally don,t catch many cars up:)
Off topic but you can't beat the sound of a SCANIA V8

Reactions: voorhees and 740mick
No idea about trucks so not a clue what he could be limited to, it was a
MANTGX 26.480 whatever one of them is :)

If he was close then OK could be fine with it. But close with his other behavior is a different matter. Me and my mate were talking about how close some trucks are though when cruising, proper slip streaming it looks like. I'd be scared to be the lorry behind and just see nothing but a trailer in front haha.

I hope the police do something about this as impersonating a police officer is quite a serious crime and they could be doing it on the impression you could have pulled over and then take your car.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I hope the police do something about this as impersonating a police officer is quite a serious crime and they could be doing it on the impression you could have pulled over and then take your car.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Yeah well we saw the car surrounded by marked police (and an undercover) so hopefully they got their *** kicked.. I did tweet Stafford police to see if they would comment, but nope :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound and martin1984
The penalty is up to 6 months in prison.
Police take it VERY seriously.

Reactions: oli356
I wonder if they asked for a solicitor and the police sent in the cleaning lady
:/

I know some on here are bikers, The annoying trend for Goldwing and Paneuro riders to add hi-viz chequers to their bikes and wear hi-viz vests/jackets with "Polite Notice" on the back really ****** me off, I have read somewhere that these people can now be asked to remove these additions to their bikes and stop trying to look like a Police bike.

Slightly off topic...
Yesterday I was out walking when a bus pulled up to let passengers on and off, causing traffic behind to have to wait in order to pass.
As traffic on the other side cleared, cars behind the bus started to go around it safely. Up ahead I spotted a motorbike approaching. He wasn't speeding or riding stupidly but cars still passed the bus into his path which he took objection to (rightfully) and blasted his horn and handed out a few hand gestures.
The problem is, it was HIS fault because he decided to have a RED light in his headlights causing motorists to see a red light and assume they were looking at the rear of a bike at first glance. I have no doubt it confused drivers and they pulled out on him purely because it wasn't a white light travelling towards them.
Unfortunately I walked past the bus as he rode past it on the other side, so I was unable to get his registration otherwise I would have reported him.

I wouldn’t count on it. Most drivers just aren’t looking properly (or at all) and just saw the gap so drove into it.

You would have reported him for being in his lane, within the speed limit and doing nothing wrong?! Red light or not, it takes a fraction of a second to register that the red light is coming from the front of a motorbike and not the rear of a car. People need to stop taking liberties with bikers lives just because they are small and leave a bit of a gap that cars can try and squeeze through.

Seriously can't believe I just read that!

No doubt the biker would have blamed the car driver, but if the car driver said they were confused as they didn't expect to see a red light travelling towards them, the biker would be accountable. It's that simple.

No, it's not that simple, as the car was on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD trying to overtake a stationary bus. Regardless of light colours, the car would be 100% to blame, but the biker would be 100% worse off than the car driver because they are more vulnerable.

To be honest, you sound like the kind of person who would call the police on someone for having a "loud exhaust". Bit like the neighbours of a guy I knew. Funnily enough the police came round, looked at the car and did nothing. Just wasting their time.

Then again, I'm not surprised by someone who tracks their MPG on their forum signature. Says it all for me.

Reactions: LawrenceH
No, it's not that simple, as the car was on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD trying to overtake a stationary bus. Regardless of light colours, the car would be 100% to blame, but the biker would be 100% worse off than the car driver because they are more vulnerable.

To be honest, you sound like the kind of person who would call the police on someone for having a "loud exhaust". Bit like the neighbours of a guy I knew. Funnily enough the police came round, looked at the car and did nothing. Just wasting their time.

Then again, I'm not surprised by someone who tracks their MPG on their forum signature. Says it all for me.

Yes, the biker would still likely be dead, all because of some confusion over the colour of the light on the front of his bike. You sound like the sort of person who thinks they can do exactly as they want and as soon as there are any consequences, try and blame every one else for them.

At the end of the day, there would be blame apportioned on both sides (insurance would likely call it a 50/50) but the Biker has put himself in harms way by illegally adding a red light to the front of his bike.

That said, I also believe in natural selection - make of that what you will.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and monopole