Blown out Turbo... Upgrade or stay stock?

cnseekatz

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new here. I drive a 2008 A3 2.0T DSG. Black S-Line with the Titanium package (I think that's about all I can throw out there!).

The reason I'm posting is because I finally blew out my turbo, and need a replacement. I got quoted $2,200 (out the door) to replace the stock K03 turbo. Or I can upgrade to the K04 for about $4,000.

I like the idea of upgrading, but I'm not sure what else will need to be upgraded to accommodate the new turbo. Any thoughts? Is the upgrade worth it? Do those prices sound reasonable?

I've always driven it bone-stock, so modifying anything is new to me. Any advise/comments would be appreciated!

If you aren't interested in remapping the car then its pointless upgrading. If you do upgrade you'll need s3 injectors, exhaust, intake, new clutch, fuel pump to make it all worth it in the end. Not cheap.

If you aren't interested in remapping the car then its pointless upgrading. If you do upgrade you'll need s3 injectors, exhaust, intake, new clutch, fuel pump to make it all worth it in the end. Not cheap.
Thank you! I figured it wouldn't be a single plug and play application like the mechanic insinuated. That's good info.

Thank you! I figured it wouldn't be a single plug and play application like the mechanic insinuated. That's good info.

The turbo is plug and play but you really wont see any increases unless you buy the stuff above. You'll need to go for stage 3 remap to get the full power out of a ko4

I followed up with the mechanic and here's what he said:

Attached is an estimate for the upgraded k04 / European S3 turbocharger.
This includes matching engine software, along with the required high flow
intake, downpipe, fuel injectors, and high pressure fuel pump upgrade -
along with the turbocharger gaskets, seals, orings, coolant, and engine oil
service.

These upgrades will boost the power of your A3 from the factory 201hp to
approximately 345hp. It is a factory turbocharger from the European S3, so
it will run and drive just like factory with long term reliability. Perfect
for daily driving, road trips, and spirited driving.

The quote was for $6,095.

Just telling you now, That clutch will not handle 345bhp. Anyone here could tell you that :p

Reactions: GGG_666