Blown hybrid turbo, what now? Bigger, rebuild?

daithi23

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got the dreaded white smoke leaving work on Friday. I took the TIP off and there is a frightening amount of shaft play. Now, from my limited knowledge it seems to be just the bearings that are shot, I didn't drive it after for the wheels to have taken damage. (I hope)

My question is, what is the best way to get access to the turbo? Engine out? Does it create problems if you disconnect the prop shaft and transfer box etc?
Or head off, head skimmed, maybe even a port and polish?

I'm tempted to go get forged rods, maybe a bigger turbo, the usual power chasing madness.

Has anyone got any advise for removing the turbo?

Thanks,
Dave.

EDIT: Forgot to add, 2001 Noggy S3 hybrid K04

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting topic.

the bearings won't have just gone instantly, so the chances are any movement will have been occurring for a while, so internal damage is already possible.

Interesting to note that you are on a ko4 hybrid but you don't currently have forged rods. This would suggest to me that perhaps the hybrid is fairly old?

hybrid technology has come on massively in recent years. I'd be tempted to take this as an opportunity.

Light engine rebuild with forged rods, new rings and shells. Maybe a top end rebuild if the head has done a few miles, and a new spec hybrid from the likes of BBT, and it could transform the car depending on the rest of the spec.

Reactions: scotty_24
I bought the car as is. But I know there are forged pistons. It was done about 3-4 years ago by the previous owner. Currently I'm sitting around the 300 mark.

Can you explain that a bit further please Miguel? Is it just a case of a lot of scrapped knuckles or is there a knack?

My budget is fairly limited.

what hybrid is it mate
turbo removal requires you to remove tue transfer box and subframe i believe
defo not engine out!!!
ive had 2 turbos fitted within 18 months!

you have an uprated manifold
and oem rods
eeeekkkkk!!!!

Standard mani, standard rods I believe.

It's a cr engineering turbo. They've quoted me a very reasonable price on rebuilding it. But told me for an additional 100 pounds I can change the internals.

its a hard job to do
if you dont have experience and a lifter you should go to a professional
to take out the the turbo you have to:
take out downpipe, bolts on the exhaust manilfold, water/oil pipes

My friend is a mechanic with a garage, so that's not an issue. He's there to help me, I just want to have a go myself, at least stripping it down.

With regards to taking the turbo out, get a head kit and take the head off. 3 bolts hold the turbo to the manifold, accessible from above once pipes are moved out the way. Rocket cover off, head bolts undone, belt off etc, and you can then lift the head off with both manifolds attached. You will then be left with the turbo attached to the downpipe via 3 bolts and the block via a bracket that has 2 bolts. It's then easy to remove and refitting is the reverse method.
This give you the opportunity to change the rods, fit new belt/tensioner, head gasket and bolts and everything will be good to go.

That's exactly what I'd priced up Karl. My issue now is who do I get to rebuild the turbo.

search for beach buggy turbos on FB.
dont use anybody else unless you have no choice.
also defo change the manifold while your at it

whats the full spec of the car and who mapped it

it cant have taken me 4 mins to write that!!

wtf lol, turbo comes off without subframe or transfer box, and without the head off, its a little tricky to get too but me and a mate had mine off in 3hrs first time round, sure i could have mine off in 1 1/2 hours now if i didnt have a relentless v3 mani (******* nuts on that thing, but also fitted that without removing the head!-)
get access through the drivers arch with the liner removed and from above, the turbo support bracket nut is a poxy one, remove it at the turbo end, its one nut and bolt then as the two on the block are in accessable. but still doable and it makes the job alot cheaper and spanner monky friendly lol, im not confident in fitting cam belts or cleaning up heads and gaskets, thats why i struggled the hard way. im sure i done a write up if you search my old threads. good luck.

just remember to buy all your gaskets from audi.

Reactions: jojo
Just in case people are curious... turbo is being collected tomorrow for delivery to bbt for a rebuild. Head is going to the best engine shop near me. I'm glad I pulled the head, as the turbo bolts from the manifold to turbo were lose, and cylinder 2 and 3 are pretty dirty in compassion to 1 and 4. I'll try and upload a photo later. It also gives me the perfect opportunity to clean all oil pipes, get a close look at what needs replacing, and fit the downpipe I've had for months now.

I don't have the money to do the rods and pistons etc now, and I'm not sure if I'll keep the car long term so I'm not worried about that either.

If you're putting a hybrid KO4 on there then surely you're going to be at or beyond the limit of what the stock rods will take? Unless you're putting a conservative map on it? In which case is there any point in going hybrid?

Reactions: badger5
The car has been running 300hp for 4 years with the only issue being the turbo going. Which I'm beginning to see thanks to members on here, is a result of it being a CRturbo. I won't be going any higher than that. It is my daily driver so I can't afford to have the car off the road for weeks at a time. IF in the future, I get a cheaper daily, then I'll go to town on the S3 and boree the engine, rods, new pistons, wmi etc etc.