BLOWN HEAD GASKET? Audi A4 B6 3.0L V6

shash_128

Reaction score
Hi,
i have an audi a4 b6 3.0L V6 which has loads of mayo/creamy crap on the oil cap and some on the dip stick.
It doesn't overheat or lose water, there is no oil in the coolant but does feel slow (loss of power?)

Took it to my mechanic today who done a Leaking Cylinder Head, Gasket & Block Test
The blue liquid in the tester is meant to turn green then yellow meaning that the head is gone right..

However it stayed blue, only went slightly darker. Mechanic still thinks the head is going? Is he right?
Someone else told me to use Steel Seal?

what do you guys think?

Cheers

If you're doing lots of short journeys a bit of mayo on the oil filler cap isn't unusual. I certainly wouldn't recommend putting Steel Seal in.

Take it for a good long drive and see if Mayo disappears

Clean the breather system out, i agree with above , v6,s take a while to get warmth through the whole engine and need a good run regularly.

I only do short journeys so I'll deffo take it for a long drive..

Regarding to the breather system are you referring to the crankcase breather valve or the air box?

Crankcase and this might be why its not pulling well

Hi,
i have an audi a4 b6 3.0L V6 which has loads of mayo/creamy **** on the oil cap and some on the dip stick.
It doesn't overheat or lose water, there is no oil in the coolant but does feel slow (loss of power?)

Took it to my mechanic today who done a Leaking Cylinder Head, Gasket & Block Test
The blue liquid in the tester is meant to turn green then yellow meaning that the head is gone right..

However it stayed blue, only went slightly darker. Mechanic still thinks the head is going? Is he right?
Someone else told me to use Steel Seal?

what do you guys think?

Cheers
Hi
I have a 3.0 Avant and experienced similar when I first got mine but don't worry .... I was a tech for Greenflag and it's quite common in a lot of vehicles that do short journeys especially thru the winter.
I got some fully synthetic oil and a new oil filter. Took car out for a good run to get nice and hot before draining oil so that the oil brings out as much contaminant as it can.
Then fit new oil filter and refill. It takes about 6.25 litres from empty.
Regular oil changes with quality oil and mine has never come back.
People have also mentioned the breather system. The first thing to check is the PCV valve under the rear inlet manifold cover as they can block or leak air. There is a breather pipe that drops down the back of the block and around the side apparently it is prone to hardening and breaking. If this was the case you would probably smell oily breather fumes when your heads under the bonnet.
Any help ?

Reactions: shash_128 and cjmcgrath
Wow thanks for all the replies especially Jon a4 3.0!
I did as you said and took the car for a good run, then to the mechanics who poured some engine flush in the car and left it running for an hour then replaced the filter and oil.
I only changed the oil 5 months ago but it came out pure black! From now on gona take it on long drives often and change the oil regularly.

Thanks for the help

As said above. A friend of mine has a 2.4v6 cab, bought it after his BMW 320 head gasket went. He dropped it down to me to do a service on it, car runs spot on, no loss of any fluids but his oil cap was caked in Mayo. I asked how much does he drive it and he said 2 miles to work and 2 miles back every day with the occasional 60 mile drive to his sisters. Cleaned the Mayo off and it hasn't returned after him driving it a bit more.
So I'd say its just from not warming up properly