Blow by? just installed catch can.

Solberg

Reaction score
Just installed the IE catchcan kit vent to atmos, -10an x2 to catchcan with filter on top, one from oil adapter and one from rocker cover and removed all stock PCV piping and plugged the hole where the hockey puck was.

Now my car is drinking oil and looks like there is pressure coming out the oil dipstick because the lower part, meaning the metal part under the orange plastic pipe is full off oil so looks like its beeing pushed up there aswell. And the catch can is smoking alot even tho its just been mounted so tho ive not emptied it yet I belive its filling up fast.

When the car is running if I unscrew the oil filler cap and let it just sit loose in the rocker cover hole, its rattling around/bumping around, if I take the cap off I can feel air beeing pushed out, and putting a paper over the hole its blowing the paper away.

So is this normal? Is it blowby? Can I measure something or whatever?

Another thing Ive noticed is that even tho I dont know if its related or not but my car is running all the way down to high 9AFR on wot now, never done that, ive been on high 11 or low 12AFR before, but now no matter what the boost is even if I run on wastegate pressure around 0,4 bar I am seeing 9 something AFR for a period when doing a full WOT run trought the register. WTF could cause this suddenly? Car is even running like ****, but I guess that is because of the verry rich mixture.... or blowby?...or ****** engine?

Sounds like what mine was doing before it got parked up with no cylinder 2 compression/ blow by
Did You only notice it since the catch can was fitted?

Not sure about air beeing pushed out the filler cap, but oil coming out the dipstick is after installing catchcan... My old pcv system was probably broke because my pipes was FULL of oil before fitting catch can, and now they are bone dry.

Never done the catch can so I won’t be much use but it seems coincidence that it’s only happened since fitting it. I’d suggest checking it’s piped right and maybe revert it back to normal see if it stops

If its blowing out the dipstick etc where it wasn't before fitting the can then the can or whatever you have done to fit it is causing a restriction big enough the prevent all the pressure getting out...

<tuffty/>

Would not think a IE kit would be restrictive tho.. :(

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk

Nope... gona have to buy a kit and do it what should the values on cylinders be?
....and have you done a a compression/leak down test?

<tuffty/>

Would not think a IE kit would be restrictive tho.. :(

Might not be under most circumstances but... if there is pressure trying to get out of places other than the PCV then it begs the question...

That said... air is lazy... will take the path of least resistance... if your dipstick tube is not on properly and that presents an easier way out then it will go that way...

If your engine is breathing heavy from blow by (worn bores etc) then its plausible the pressure is more than the IE can was designed for so is in fact presenting a bigger restriction than the std PCV as before it was more or less a direct path back to the TIP

See it from time to time on the dyno if the engine is breathing heavy... you could try disconnecting the inlet hose of the catch can and let it vent to atmosphere for a quick run up the road... see if the issue remains...

But... fact still remains that its pressure in the crank case causing the oil to be ejected through the dipstick and the PCV is designed to relieve that...

<tuffty/>

how easy is it to vent a catch can through a mini filter clogged up with oil?

Reactions: Tj 0785
what size catch can?

you said your PCV pipes were full of oil too?

where is it going to after the catch can? back to tip through hockey puck or as alex said is your filter clogged and thus causing so much extra pressure.

Its all described in first post. :)

Okay so ive done a comp test on cylinders.

And its reading on the mark 200 psi on all 4 bores. Comments?

revert back to just the pipes... that way you can eliminate the can as the restriction

<tuffty/>

Reactions: badger5
Its all described in first post. :)

Okay so ive done a comp test on cylinders.

And its reading on the mark 200 psi on all 4 bores. Comments?

what is "10an x2"

the pipework and catch can needs to be 19mm input and output and probably 1 litre capacity - I had absolutely no luck with a filter it blocked up and shot off after about 30 minutes. you did say all you PCV was blocked up with oil, try taking the catch can away and just allow the pipework to be free for a test to see whether there is still a lot of back pressure.

good compression doesn't always mean there is not a valve fault does it, that is the maximum pressure.

weird it doesn't load...

I can see that on ECS tuning.. did you honestly spend that much money?

it doesn't look like 19mm input, is that a reducer?

Upload 2018 5 31 23 11 38

Last edited:
With tax and deliver it cost me around 500 gbp, So it kinda ****** me off if it is the IE kit that is ****** around, the hoses are big, bigger than the stock pcv shitt pipes, tho a thing I noticed is the plug/adapter for the oilfilterhousing, I mean the ouput hole in the middle which supplies the AN hose is tiny as a baby blueberry.

With tax and deliver it cost me around 500 gbp, So it kinda ****** me off if it is the IE kit that is ****** around, the hoses are big, bigger than the stock pcv shitt pipes, tho a thing I noticed is the plug/adapter for the oilfilterhousing, I mean the ouput hole in the middle which supplies the AN hose is tiny as a baby blueberry.

Jesus Christ man what’s wrong with you ha

Can easily be done for less £100

Reactions: SamHendry
Because bolt-on, everything fits, no hassle and looks so damn nice is my experience with everything from IE.But I agree that their prices is on another planet.

They are pop, why would their good selling catch can kit for 1.8t have struggle on my 1.8t? Why am I having so much pressure with on the spot 200 psi on all 4 cylinders, not 200 199 201 198 or 40 210 156 179 but 200 200 200 200, where does blow by come from?

Thinking about what Ive talked about before, when standing still with the car in neutral gear and free revving the turbo is building a good amount of boost (yes it does, can free rev and read 0,8bar of boost atleast). And with my old PCV system which was prolly old, leaky and broken I had alot of oil in my charge pipe, in just a little but aaalot oil, thats the reason I first installed the catch can.

But all this oil, could it have clogged up my intercooler for example, would an intercooler that is full of old engine oil be like an old air filter full of dust and sand that is overworking and then give the engine backpressure which makes me able to build boost on free revs?

Or could there be another logic reason to why I have so much positive crankcase pressure when my piston rings seems to be fine? And like I mentioned in top post I read 9,8AFR or something when doing WOT runs, which is very silly not normal atleast not happend before as long as ive owned the car. My fuel gauge is also reading 2,8 bar and I swear it was reading 4 bar before.... could have been 3 bar also but NOT under 3 bar.

Don't know why you are able to rev the car and get boost surely that is a problem itself.
£500 for a catch can!! You could have easiy got one for £50-£100

So, with the IE kit came a silicone vacuum nipple to put on the vacuum port for the pcv valve under the manifold, that silicone nipple had blasted so had a huge vacuum leak thanks to the good quality IE kit....

So changed that and 9 afr is gone and back to normal.

Tho I tried to empty the catchcan by unscrewing the thingy on the bottom of the tank but it did not come one drip... :)

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

considering you paid so much I’d be on the phone to them-kicking up a fuss

Reactions: hydro s3
why not take the filter off the top and see if it relieves the pressure in the system? my TTs engine oil cap bounces around and dip stick always moves up a bit too, will need to check out the PCV system at some point

No need to, I thought I had pushed the plastic part of the dipstick all the way down, but afraid of cracking it I had not pushed it all the way down so thats why it was leaking.

I belive my engine is healthy now and works totally fine with the IE catchcan :)

Problem nr 1: Vacuum leak.
Problem nr 2: Plastic part of dipstick not fully inserted into metalpipe.

Case closed.

Edit: and IE is not the only one with **** quality silicone sometimes I guess, because while searching today I saw that BOTH my brand new Forge silicone hoses from charge pipe to diverter and n75 had start to split in the sharpest bends. So one smack on the hand to both Forge and IE.

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3 and Rainbird
Some things are worth paying for; pistons, valves, turbos, intercoolers, injectors.
Other things aren’t; catch cans

Reactions: GeorgieS3, hydro s3, Stuart B and 3 others
500ml Catch Can from eBay for 25£ delivered and is doing the job, damn well.
500 quid for this? looks nice, but c'mon.. your Engine is trying to **** himself.
Low Range Tank of Catch Can, can cause a lot of trouble... Like spitting oil from the Cold Side of a brand new turbo.

Last edited: