Blk Edition, optional extras.

Matt99

Reaction score
Hi there, im new to this but cant get much help from the Audi Website.
Im ready to order a new A3 S/B Blk Ed. Due for delivery in Jan, still undecided on colour, but one thing i want to know, regarding the roof bars, can these be fitted aswell as having the panoramic roof????
All suggestions on colour and spec etc welcome... thanks in advance.

Matt.

i believe so.

i reckon Phantom Black, Condor Grey or if you're feeling flush, Suzuka Grey or Sprint Blue (both will be ~£1500). definitely get a flat bottom wheel as well, and the light and rain sensor pack. moving the stalks isn't difficult but the auto dimming mirror is a must have imho. also it can't be retrofitted without replacing the windshield.

my choice would be phantom black i saw a s3 sb black edition the other day it looked awesome to be fair not sure about the roof bars tho soz

i believe so.

i reckon Phantom Black, Condor Grey or if you're feeling flush, Suzuka Grey or Sprint Blue (both will be ~£1500). definitely get a flat bottom wheel as well, and the light and rain sensor pack. moving the stalks isn't difficult but the auto dimming mirror is a must have imho. also it can't be retrofitted without replacing the windshield.

If you spec the "Comfort Pack" you get Rear park sensors, Auto lights and wipers with dimming mirrors and cruise control. All for £500....

Colour wise I would go for Phanton Black..

Firstly if you are getting the open sky roof then you can have the roof bars as well. these will be black as you are ordering a black edition.

Extras, (all down to you and what you use the car for) would go for the sat nav stereo as it looks better, alcantara seats, the comfort pack as audicruiser suggested. you already get the Bose upgrade and the flat bottom wheel and xenon lights as its a BE.

I would also suggest the quattro if your planning on keeping it a while, but if your after economy the 140 TDI is cheaper to run than a wind mill.

There the must have's in my opinion, as for a colour the Suzuka Grey is very desirable if you have the cash. if not Black seems the most common colour.

I wouldn't dismiss Brilliant Black. A few people have questioned me about the colour of mine thinking it was a special colour as it's so much deeper and glossier than many of the other Audi's around (and other cars for that matter). One guy was convinced it was because it's a black edition! I almost daren't admit it was std (ie no cost) flat black!

yeah i agree it is a nice colour 2 but stay away from car washes with brilliant black otherwise it wont be very glossy for long lol

Your question may have one of two meanings...

"Roof bars" might mean roof rails, or base carrier bars.

Carrier bars will fit. they go left/right. They clear the open-skye. I have these.

Roof rails are also def. available with open-skye. I've seen plenty of 'em. these go fore/aft, and NOT left-right.

However, of you get roof rails, you MIGHT be able to fit the DIFFERENT version of base carrier bars which is used when you have rails, but I've never tried that combo myself.

There is a black SB BE across the road from our house, it does look very nice I must say. Almost had me questioning my choice of colour but it's too late for that now.

There is a black SB BE across the road from our house, it does look very nice I must say. Almost had me questioning my choice of colour but it's too late for that now.

I see you have ordered a Ibis White. Best colour in my opinion. I have a SB blk edition in ibis white and it makes the smoked wheels look even better.
I like the ibis white with the glass roof becuase you get a glossy tinted roof and a black spoiler too. Worth considering :yes:

I see you have ordered a Ibis White. Best colour in my opinion. I have a SB blk edition in ibis white and it makes the smoked wheels look even better.
I like the ibis white with the glass roof becuase you get a glossy tinted roof and a black spoiler too. Worth considering :yes:

The roof adds quite a lot to the cost but I ordered it specifically for the looks of the car. As mine is a MY11 it will have the new 'Arm' wheels which are similar to the TT ones, not sure if I'll like those yet but we'll see. I originally ordered Aluminium Inserts but they've been deleted as an option on the BE now which is a shame.

I agree I have seen an Ibis White BE recently and it looks stunning with the glass roof.
I too have an Ibis White BE on order but sadly didn't add the open sky system, I went a bit mad with the options anyway so had to stop myself somewhere otherwise would have had an :asskicking:on the price!
It took me a while to decide between Black or White but yes, with the BE the Ibis White goes very well with the darker wheels and Black shiny bits!

Did you manage to get much of a deal on yours Nick??

Did you order before the MY11 changes?

What options have you added??

To get back on topic for the OP - Matt you can spend quite a lot on options and you'll never really recoup the cost so it's wise to be careful, that said as you can see I ordered quite a lot on my car (Although a lot of them have been made standard on the S3 for MY11) but I have had a few VAG cars now and I know what I like.

Auto Lights and Wipers are a great feature, folding mirrors are good but sadly they don't auto close when you switch the engine off. I think Rear Parking Sensors are a must, you can do more damage than the cost of the option in one wrong move when reversing. Bose is a must have, although I guess on a BE it's standard. Think about the interior colours as they can be changed often at no cost. I don't think Sun Roof's are a great option but that's a personal choice. I think the DSG gearbox is a great bit of kit but adds a fair bit to the cost.

If you have any specific questions about options come back and ask, we're happy to help.

Did you manage to get much of a deal on yours Nick??

Did you order before the MY11 changes?

What options have you added??

To get back on topic for the OP - Matt you can spend quite a lot on options and you'll never really recoup the cost so it's wise to be careful, that said as you can see I ordered quite a lot on my car (Although a lot of them have been made standard on the S3 for MY11) but I have had a few VAG cars now and I know what I like.

Auto Lights and Wipers are a great feature, folding mirrors are good but sadly they don't auto close when you switch the engine off. I think Rear Parking Sensors are a must, you can do more damage than the cost of the option in one wrong move when reversing. Bose is a must have, although I guess on a BE it's standard. Think about the interior colours as they can be changed often at no cost. I don't think Sun Roof's are a great option but that's a personal choice. I think the DSG gearbox is a great bit of kit but adds a fair bit to the cost.

If you have any specific questions about options come back and ask, we're happy to help.

Hi Stu,

Mine will be leased but think I got quite a good deal and after some haggling it came to a little over £500/month and I have gone for S3 SB BE with Comfort pack, Tech pack, Interior light pack, Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Lights, Non-Smoking Pack and Type Pressure Monitor. I ordered early May (ETA Mid August - but as car is supposed to be in production this week I am not sure if that is a little optimistic?).
I have been told it will be a MY11 so like you some of the options added are now standard, although the subtle changes look nice, still not entirely sure on the wheels yet tho. When do you get yours and I assume pics. will be up when you do?

Back on topic...

I have to agree that Auto lights & wipers are a must and the adaptive lights & folding mirrors IMO are too although I am dissapointed to hear they don't auto close.

An option which may not be worth it is electric seats, the electric lumber support is good (which I think you can spec. without having electric seats as well) but I didn't really see the point in having electrically adjustable seats without memory? Unless Audi told me wrong and they do have memory?

One thing I will miss is Keyless entry, it is so handy to leave the key in your pocket - I wonder if Audi will bring that in the next gen. A3?

Hi Stu,

Mine will be leased but think I got quite a good deal and after some haggling it came to a little over £500/month and I have gone for S3 SB BE with Comfort pack, Tech pack, Interior light pack, Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Lights, Non-Smoking Pack and Type Pressure Monitor. I ordered early May (ETA Mid August - but as car is supposed to be in production this week I am not sure if that is a little optimistic?).
I have been told it will be a MY11 so like you some of the options added are now standard, although the subtle changes look nice, still not entirely sure on the wheels yet tho. When do you get yours and I assume pics. will be up when you do?

Back on topic...

I have to agree that Auto lights & wipers are a must and the adaptive lights & folding mirrors IMO are too although I am dissapointed to hear they don't auto close.

An option which may not be worth it is electric seats, the electric lumber support is good (which I think you can spec. without having electric seats as well) but I didn't really see the point in having electrically adjustable seats without memory? Unless Audi told me wrong and they do have memory?

One thing I will miss is Keyless entry, it is so handy to leave the key in your pocket - I wonder if Audi will bring that in the next gen. A3?

Thats why i went for alcantara, who needs heated seats when your sitting on a that!

My BE was an in stock car and came with Sat Nav, heated seats, light / rain sensor pack, phantom black metallic, mobile prep (bluetooth) and CD autochanger. If it had been my personal choice I would have omitted the CD autochanger and gained some space in the glovebox as all my music will fit on a couple of 32Gb memory cards, otherwise very happy with the choice of options.

You might be able to swap out the CD changer for the AMI which would likely suit you better. There is an accessory kit for the AMI now.

When I ordered by BE (Mar 09) I spec'd it with, amongst other things, the Open Sky sunroof and the roof bars. I was able to choose the colour of the roof bars, but went for black to keep it matching. Be warned about the sunroof- I, like others with the sunroof, have had problems with the headlining creaking (apparently it was done up too tightly). Although this is resolved now, it exposed me to the shockingly-poor after-sales service experience of my local dealership. That said, it adds much natural light to the inside of the car and I do like it.

Other options I spec'd:
- ipod connection (for the price, compared to, say, BMW, this is crap. it only plays playlists - perhaps it's better now?).
- front and rear parking sensors (great)
- auto folding mirrors (good, but concur with above comments about folding when engine turns off)
- heated front seats (good)
- auto lights and wipers (excellent)
- coming home lights (good)

I retrofitted the TPMS function to the car. Whilst it was a good learning experience, for the cost (~£75) I'd recommend getting this fitted.

Think someone mentioned the keyless ignition above (?). I had three different A4s when the dealership was trying to fix my headlining. Each one had the keyless ignition. Personally I thought it was the epitome of poor, rickety workmanship and wouldn't want it in my car.

In hindsight options I'd also spec now:
- adaptive suspension (I think mine has bricks rather than shocks)
- TPMS
- bluetooth (two of the A4s had this and it was very good)

Hope that helps!

When I ordered by BE (Mar 09) I spec'd it with, amongst other things, the Open Sky sunroof and the roof bars. I was able to choose the colour of the roof bars, but went for black to keep it matching. Be warned about the sunroof- I, like others with the sunroof, have had problems with the headlining creaking (apparently it was done up too tightly). Although this is resolved now, it exposed me to the shockingly-poor after-sales service experience of my local dealership. That said, it adds much natural light to the inside of the car and I do like it.

Other options I spec'd:
- ipod connection (for the price, compared to, say, BMW, this is crap. it only plays playlists - perhaps it's better now?).
- front and rear parking sensors (great)
- auto folding mirrors (good, but concur with above comments about folding when engine turns off)
- heated front seats (good)
- auto lights and wipers (excellent)
- coming home lights (good)

I retrofitted the TPMS function to the car. Whilst it was a good learning experience, for the cost (~£75) I'd recommend getting this fitted.

Think someone mentioned the keyless ignition above (?). I had three different A4s when the dealership was trying to fix my headlining. Each one had the keyless ignition. Personally I thought it was the epitome of poor, rickety workmanship and wouldn't want it in my car.

In hindsight options I'd also spec now:
- adaptive suspension (I think mine has bricks rather than shocks)
- TPMS
- bluetooth (two of the A4s had this and it was very good)

Hope that helps!