bleeding brakes.

audi_ro

Reaction score
hello, i managed to let all my brake fluid run out when i changed the front and rear caliper on my 1.8T sport. then when trying to bleed it i snapped off the 2 bleed nipples on the master cylinder.

so i bought a brand new master cylinder from audi and i'm still having problems bleeding the system. the pedel is really spongy and only just bites at the very bottom of the pedel.

i'm not sure if i'm bleeding it right? i put my pressure bleeder on, bleed the two on the master then NSR/OSR/NSF/OSF. is that right? is there anything else i need to do? one of my friends said i need to bleed it on the abs pump???

any help would be much appreciated :) Ro

Try doing the master cylinder last with it being higher up.....they can be a bastuard to bleed mate, i think it would be best to do it diagonally too....starting from furthest away... NSR/OSF/OSR/NSF
ABS may need doing if that fails via pc :ermm:

Bleed nipple on the master cylinder? wtf...

The bleed nipples are on the brake calipers...

You want to flow a good 100ml of fluid thru each caliper to ensure you've shifted all the air.

Try doing the master cylinder last with it being higher up.....they can be a bastuard to bleed mate, i think it would be best to do it diagonally too....starting from furthest away... NSR/OSF/OSR/NSF
ABS may need doing if that fails via pc :ermm:

hmmm not sure, thats the way an audi mechanic said to do it. i'll give your way a try once a few more people can suggest a few things thanks mate

mate im old school. easybleed kit and do left rear, right rear, front left and then front right hasnt failed me yet. thats if you can find an easybleed kit lol...

Bleed nipple on the master cylinder? wtf...

The bleed nipples are on the brake calipers...

You want to flow a good 100ml of fluid thru each caliper to ensure you've shifted all the air.

Yes 2 on the master cylinder, I had to remove the charge pipe for better access my my s3. Id do as recommended earlier and bleed all the calipers then the 2 m/s nipples. I had a nightmare bleeding my brakes, went through so much brake fluid! Found out eventually that my pedal was spongy due to the new discs and pads I fitted, once worn in the pedal felt much better.

hmmm so bleed all 4 calipers first then the 2 on the master? i'd give it ago now but its ****** freezing out!

Also apparently it's worth bleeding the clutch pedal too as they both use the same fluid resevoir.... we really need to nail down a proper way of doing this and then get it placed as a sticky as it seems to be causing even tthe most savvy of mechanics problems.... i'm still not happy with mine though i'm yet to bleed the ABS pump via VAG-Com

Logic and experience with aircraft hydraulics would lead me to think that bleeding the master cylinder first, then cycling the ABS Pump with all four caliper nipples open and then each caliper starting with th furthest from to Master Cylinder but this seems to go against the manual so who knows ?

The audi maintenance manual says to do it with the engine running - why would this be? Servo running is a little unnecessary isn't it?

It does say to do the clutch slave but doesn't even mention the brake master!

not sure if this would work on a car, but on a bike, i fill the fluid up from the caliper using a syringe, could you not do this on a car? maybe 50 ml in each caliper at a time until it makes its way up to the brake fluid chamber?