blackedition 170tdi - FAST FAST FAST

bingobongo123

Reaction score
been a week now and so impressed with the speed of this beast. it reminds me of my BMW330ci

once out of first this thing flies. tip tronic is so much fun its un real

anyone think the same>?

Yes even with 140 it's a great engine with S-Tronic.

Enjoy the new car! :thumbsup:

I totally agree ive had my 170 for 7 months now and I still find it so much fun and so very very fast. S-tronic is so fast isnt it, i love keeping my foot planted and not having to worry about changing gear! Id love to drive the new 170 as there common rail but i wouldn't change mine for anything just yet!

I agree it's quick, but the age old feels quicker than it is line applies!! Torque is what you feel the most out of an engine so a good powered DERV can feel a lot quicker than an 8P S3. However it obviously isn't...

typical example is to drive an S2000, with 240BHP you'd expect it to feel quick but it doesn't though it is. Basically as it's only a 2 litre N/A the torque isn't that high compared to the 170 2.0 TDI...

however on public road the torque is more fun!!

It's alright I suppose - can't argue with nearly 140 mph and nearly 40 mpg :yum:

Still not a fan of diesels :beee: bit too sensible for my taste but I need a reasonably fast car with reasonable economy. Been looking at the Alpina D3 and it's lovely too, but still can't get excited about tractor power :lazy:

My wife's las car was a diesel (1.9 TDi PD 130bhp remapped to 160 odd BHP).

Very good car, great round town bomber, but out on the open road I became quiet frustrated with it after having a fairly free revving petrol. They (the TDi's) are ****** quick, particularly in straight line 50-80mph, but there is something that leaves me cold. It's not engine note as the S3 is no soundtrack to boast of. Would be interested to try the 170PS version though.

Have massive respect for them, but not the urge to go out and buy one despite all the benefits. Bizarre.

I totally agree ive had my 170 for 7 months now and I still find it so much fun and so very very fast. S-tronic is so fast isnt it, i love keeping my foot planted and not having to worry about changing gear! Id love to drive the new 170 as there common rail but i wouldn't change mine for anything just yet!

My previous A3 was a 170 Sportback and it was great. When I decided to change I test drove the new common-rail 170 and the 140. I preferred the 140. The 170 was a little noisier than the 140 and I often found needed to drop to a lower gear in the 170 for corners and roundabouts than I did in the 140. This is by all accounts due to the slightly larger turbo used on the 170cr than on the 140cr. The 140 also gives almost the same performance and better mpg. I've not missed the extra 30bhp.

I certainly agree with you about the S-tronic. I drive with mine in tip-tronic mode almost all the time a it great not have to easy off to change up a gear. I would never want another car without an S-tronic.

i drive the new common rail engine and its soooo quiet. you do not notice it when moving and only notice the idle noise when you are outof the car, the insulation is very good. also i have a 200 watt sound system so dont hear anything anyway.

i will always get tip tronic from now on. great fun.

My previous A3 was a 170 Sportback and it was great. When I decided to change I test drove the new common-rail 170 and the 140. I preferred the 140. The 170 was a little noisier than the 140 and I often found needed to drop to a lower gear in the 170 for corners and roundabouts than I did in the 140. This is by all accounts due to the slightly larger turbo used on the 170cr than on the 140cr. The 140 also gives almost the same performance and better mpg. I've not missed the extra 30bhp.

I certainly agree with you about the S-tronic. I drive with mine in tip-tronic mode almost all the time a it great not have to easy off to change up a gear. I would never want another car without an S-tronic.

Ive never sampled either 140 engine so i cant say the 170 is the sensible choice its like you say id imagine, the 140 makes the most sense but for me i like having the 170 just to be different, the rarer choice, sacrificing the economy for the extra power.

Its does speak volumes for the new common rail 140 that you would switch from a 170 to a 140 and obviously you wouldn't have done this if the speed trade off was that great...

Some days mine feels rapid, some days I find myself wanting more power but I think that happens with every car you have after a while. Its still more than enough to get me in some serious trouble