Black Window Trim & Grill / Inlays

Benji315

Reaction score
Hey all,

After coming from a 13 plate A5 Black edition, i certainly miss my little black edition extras! As far as i can see Ireland got the option of the black styling pack.

What's the best option of dechroming? I've been quoted nearly £300 to do the windows and side badges, but the grill is another issue, i've seen one on eBay for £575?! That's the only one mind you.

Also i'd love to have the S5 inlays in my A5, sadly you couldn't choose them though. I went for Piano black which is scratching just by looking at it.

I had the piano black inlays in my previous BMW and the scratches were terrible, but the black t-cut colour magic stuff really works to get them out. it's not as abrasive as normal T-cut and works a charm on plastic - tiny tiny amount and go at them with a cotton bud

I have the standard S-Line alu ones in my A5 and they seem a lot more hard wearing!

The standard aluminium ones defo look a lot more hard wearing, but after coming from a black edition before i just went ahead with similar.

As they are so new though i can't see a S5/Rs5 set coming up anytime soon :(

I'm getting my grille wrapped on Monday at the same time as i'm getting the GTechniq done. Not sure on price yet but i'll let you know

What did they charge you Danny? Excited to see how it turns out!

£144 for the grille, wing mirrors and the silver bits around the fogs/laser things. Picking it up tomorrow lunch time, just waiting for the Gtechniq to cure now. Should have some pictures sent over of it by the end of the day.

[photo=large]8606[/photo]

Reactions: rickparmar, Lawrence7, orcomma and 1 other person
looking good going to book mine in for this

now looking at your car I'm considering doing the same to mine, did you get the chrome around the doors wrapped in black ? if so do you have pictures?

now looking at your car I'm considering doing the same to mine, did you get the chrome around the doors wrapped in black ? if so do you have pictures?

I'm afraid I didn't mate did think about it but wanted to see what the grille/mirrors looked like first. That'll definitely be getting booked in in the next few months though. Not picked it up yet so I'll get more pictures up of it in the next couple of days

Does look much better, i think i've been quoted £180 down here in Kent for the grill alone, and then another £180 for the frames.

Reactions: Blessed_Badger
Looks really sharp. I was looking at getting this done but I had seen that other places have just wrapped the whole grille unlike what you have had done. Looks like a factory option at the fraction of the price. Did you specify exactly how you wanted it wrapped?

[photo=large]8610[/photo]

Looks really sharp. I was looking at getting this done but I had seen that other places have just wrapped the whole grille unlike what you have had done. Looks like a factory option at the fraction of the price. Did you specify exactly how you wanted it wrapped?

Yeah I was a little worried as I didn't specify anything, I just kind of gave him creative freedom and I'm very happy with it as it's quite subtle but makes such a big difference. I was actually admiring it before and completely walked past it in a car park thinking it wasn't mine lol not quite used to it's new look.

Reactions: FBF01 and Lawrence7
Looks so so so much better! That and the window trims shouldn't be chrome at all.

Can't wait to do mine.

Danny, had a chat with my local wrap guys.

They've asked for some more pictures of yours, any chance you could fire some my way if you don't mind please?

Good stuff, thanks buddy. Also out of interest, what did they charge for just that? I know you got the GTech done too.

[photo=large]8610[/photo]

Yeah I was a little worried as I didn't specify anything, I just kind of gave him creative freedom and I'm very happy with it as it's quite subtle but makes such a big difference. I was actually admiring it before and completely walked past it in a car park thinking it wasn't mine lol not quite used to it's new look.

Those PP's were a waste of money then! ;-)

Sorry mate, any chance of those pics :)

[photo=medium]8629[/photo]

Did mine myself.. Some decent material and a spare few hours will see you through. Not a difficult job at all, you've just got to be patient.

There are joins in mine as I didn't want to use a full sheet of vinyl but unless you're up close and examining it you can't see it.

I would recommend some really good vinyl and a few very sharp blades!

[photo=medium]8629[/photo]

Did mine myself.. Some decent material and a spare few hours will see you through. Not a difficult job at all, you've just got to be patient.

There are joins in mine as I didn't want to use a full sheet of vinyl but unless you're up close and examining it you can't see it.

I would recommend some really good vinyl and a few very sharp blades!

So when are you opening your own Car Wrapping Garage? :wink:

Hi does anyone have a picture of a Navarro blue S5 with the black grills, rear diffuser and black window trims

Most likely going to get these wrapped

Had mine done back in march! Absolutely in love with it!

Attachments

• 33D2CABA-C3BA-4C85-A19D-C99A533E5B56.jpeg
    33D2CABA-C3BA-4C85-A19D-C99A533E5B56.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 1,832
That looks beaut. How much did it cost. Did you do anything to the rear?

That looks beaut. How much did it cost. Did you do anything to the rear?
Cost me about £250 to wrap the chrome ... nothing done to the rear yet . But spoiler has been ordered from Audi and potentially painting the diffuser

Really sorry guys completely forgot about this! Its filthy at the moment so i'll clean it saturday morning and get some pictures up. Still not had the window chrome done yet but I'm going to enquire about this by saturday too. Cost me £100 for just the grille, lower lip and windows though

I finally got mine done, didn't get the bottom lower lip done. It does look good but it won't ever be a black grill, as soon as they are available i'll be ordering one i reckon. Went from gloss round the windows and then matte on the grill. Just need bigger and better wheels, the stock options are horrible, i think all of the ones Audi offered on the new A5 are horrible compared to my old rotors on my previous A5.

Also my Piano Black inlays look absolutely shocking when any light hits them, they are scratched to **** and i've hardly used the car since i picked it up on 1st April (2700 miles) Interestingly when i looked on Audi's site earlier it's no longer an option to have them and just silver is now. I've gone into Audi about them and they are trying to work something out, i want the ones from the S5 put in as they look a million miles better, and i do not want another black set scratching up again.

FullSizeRender

Looking good the window surrounds make the most difference imho what I would say is the silver inlays on the s5 mark easily as well better than any piano Finnish but aim for carbon inlays if you are fussy. Out of interest what are you using to clean your interior it could be you with a dirty cloth as piano Finnish have always been hard to keep I would never spec them again as an option learnt that the hard way years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted the carbon ones they offer, can't remember the silly name for them but they aren't the standard ones. Just we can't choose them on an A5.

I've only ever cleaned them with a clean microfibre cloth, but i've not even touched the passengers side and they are covered in swirls, half thinking it was like that when i got it.

I have the silver on the s5 as I couldn't get my head around the £500 is they where asking for a few bits of fake carbon trim. A dry microfibre cloth and Piano black trim it will cause swirls better when it's a slightly damp ecloth but better still use your sunglasses glasses cloths they are a better quality. As you you say more than likely audi pdi vallet has probably not helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, I've got mine booked in for the 9th October. Going for the Bumper, grill and window trim. May get the wing mirrors done later.

Finally took the plunge and plasti-dipped the front grill the other day, will try to post pictures later. Only did the grill for the time being as I felt the other silver bits contrasted quite well on a black S5.

The hypochondriac in me has a question though. Does the air that goes through the front grill/radiator get through into the cabin in any shape of form, or does outside air only enter via the inlet outside the front windscreen? There's a lot of nasty stuff in plastidip and I didn't want any of it coming into the car and breathing it in. I know that chemicals may not be toxic anymore once dried/cured but I just wanted to make sure.

What type of black did people use? Ie gloss, matte, satin? I want the chrome on the lower bumper to blend in as much as possible. Thinking matte might be best. Any suggestions?

Z

What type of black did people use? Ie gloss, matte, satin? I want the chrome on the lower bumper to blend in as much as possible. Thinking matte might be best. Any suggestions?

Z

[photo=medium]8610[/photo]

I used Gloss black and I think it blends really well on the Daytona grey

Reactions: Zedi
[photo=medium]8610[/photo]

I used Gloss black and I think it blends really well on the Daytona grey

Cheers that looks spot on. Should have said Mines daytona grey too.

Here's mine, it's a Matt black finish on the grill. Certainly the cost effective option if anyone is considering it. Does anyone have any comments on my previous post regarding the air that passes through the grill/radiator?

Attachments

• IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 1,622
Here's mine, it's a Matt black finish on the grill. Certainly the cost effective option if anyone is considering it. Does anyone have any comments on my previous post regarding the air that passes through the grill/radiator?

Looks much better mate!

In regards to your post about the air passing into the cabin...this would be true for any type of fumes surely? Like sitting behind a big manky bus or the likes :dashsymbol::dashsymbol::dashsymbol: