Black tray under air filter

Russdaz

Reaction score
Hi all what's the black tray that sits under the air filter in the air box for?

Looks a bit like air baffles to me to reduce intake noise? Or does it have another purpose?

No idea what it's for, Russdaz, but I flung it anyway. Anything that restricts airflow is not good and other than a louder intake roar and freer revving throttle, I don't notice any difference.

what filter are using?

I did wonder if it was to protect the paper element.

Pipercross filter and MK Performance turbo air intake hose. No complaints. In addition to the louvred tray, the stock filter has some sort of foam membrane on its bottom. It's a wonder to me that any air gets through at all! As I've said before, the stock air filter resembles a loaf of bread.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Pipercross filter and MK Performance turbo air intake hose. No complaints. In addition to the louvred tray, the stock filter has some sort of foam membrane on its bottom. It's a wonder to me that any air gets through at all! As I've said before, the stock air filter resembles a loaf of bread.
Yeah I was pretty surprised too.

I think it stops bigger insects and stuff hitting the air filter. Took mine out too.

The black tray/baffle is a hemholtz resonator specifically designed to smooth air flow and ensure the filter gets air to the filter across the entire surface thus giving a performance increase. Inside air boxes you get poor air flow this ensures you get a even flow.
I read somewhere that removing it can ever so slightly decrease performance.
Revo recommend you remove it when fitting there hose and filter kit so not sure what's right.
Audi must put it there for a reason .

Interesting idea about smoothing air flow, but looking at it, I'd go for resonator idea looking at it, and by the difference in sound.

Hemholtz resonators don't actually smooth air, they create pulses, which cancels out noise frequencies. Id image Audi would fit the resonator for drive by noise regulations, and actually lower cabin noise, as I have noticed it's quite a bit louder inside without it. Something not everyone would like.

Interesting you say about air boxes not flowing much air, normally your more worried about making sure there's enough air for the filter to breath, then smooth the air after the filter.

Anyone using a k@n?

Last edited:

Yeah pretty much all standard paper ones do. It's a pretty big filter box for a 2.0ltr

Interesting idea about smoothing air flow, but looking at it, I'd go for resonator idea looking at it, and by the difference in sound.

Hemholtz resonators don't actually smooth air, they create pulses, which cancels out noise frequencies. Id image Audi would fit the resonator for drive by noise regulations, and actually lower cabin noise, as I have noticed it's quite a bit louder inside without it. Something not everyone would like.

Anyone using a k@n?
K&N weren't making filters when I got mine. It was only Pipercross sadly. Had ITG in my Clio 197

Oh they do now, :) always had k@n cones until my last one that had the panel filter from Mountune.

Just not as loud as I was expecting

Oh they do now, :) always had k@n cones until my last one that had the panel filter from Mountune.

Just not as loud as I was expecting
Yeah the panel filter is better than the standard but a cone one would make a better noise. I'm limited as my piggy back ecu is bolted to the top of the airbox.
2015 04 28 173653

Reactions: andy l
I've had a Pipercross Cone Slightly Modified by my Family Mechanic,
Certainly increased noise,but not too much,very happy with it.

Attachments

• DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 208
A few weeks ago I managed to get a revo intake kit really cheap just looked at it the panel filter is made by ITG.
I didn't realise ITG made a filter for the S1.
Ian the Abt unit looks like a quality piece of kit.

A few weeks ago I managed to get a revo intake kit really cheap just looked at it the panel filter is made by ITG.
Ian the Abt unit looks like a quality piece of kit.
I wonder if Revo swapped from Pipercross because there were a lot of problems with the quality of the early ones.
Yeah the piggy back unit is almost as big as the normal one lol.

I've had a Pipercross Cone Slightly Modified by my Family Mechanic,
Certainly increased noise,but not too much,very happy with it.
Have you got a cold air feed pipe from the front or is it OK sitting there?

Reactions: S1Pete
Just checked and done the search: http://itgairfilters.com/search/
Looks like you'll need to quote the part number in order to get a dealer to give you a price and availability.

Just checked and done the search: http://itgairfilters.com/search/
Looks like you'll need to quote the part number in order to get a dealer to give you a price and availability.
Might spoil myself. I have one of the first Pipercross ones and I'm really not impressed with the quality. When you lift it out it has sagged into a convex shape on the underneath.

Have you got a cold air feed pipe from the front or is it OK sitting there?
Hi Ian,
The position of the cone is just slightly offset from what was the old intake opening,
seems to get plenty of air feed from this,since this photo was taken I have fitted a Heat Shield,
with effect.
Best for the New Year

Hi Ian,
The position of the cone is just slightly offset from what was the old intake opening,
seems to get plenty of air feed from this,since this photo was taken I have fitted a Heat Shield,
with effect.
Best for the New Year
Cool. Yeah happy new year to you too

Reactions: S1Pete
Heat soak can be an issue with cones, unless boxed off.

I just thought there'd be more turbo noise, but then Ian starting to realise the Fiesta st uses a different type of turbo.

The k@n is a quality bit a of kit.

Yeah the panel filter is better than the standard but a cone one would make a better noise. I'm limited as my piggy back ecu is bolted to the top of the airbox. View attachment 113574

How do Audi look at that, if you took it to them with it fitted? Thinking warranty as it's new, hence why I didn't go cone filter.

How do Audi look at that, if you took it to them with it fitted? Thinking warranty as it's new, hence why I didn't go cone filter.
To be honest I can remove everything in about 10 mins and just plug the leads back into the standard ecu. What would let the cat out the bag would be if they spotted the forge intercooler.

Had my car in for oil change etc, with the cone fitted,even the mechanic said it looked good!