Black Plastic Trim

jamiewatkins2004

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any suggestions on what products to use on black plastic trim?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi,

I’ve been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for years and found it the ideal product. It’s not too shiny, long lasting, gives UV protection and has stopped most of those annoying squeaks between two different plastics. I use it on the plastic trim inside the car, also the plastic trim outside like air vents, light surrounds, the grill, and found it really good for the plastic covers and pipes in the engine bay.

Reactions: Strachan87
Agree on Perl and 303 is good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtechniq permanent trim restorer. It's expensive but in the long run probably works out cheaper

Reactions: Jassyo06
Have ordered Perl as it can be used on multiple surfaces.

Thanks again to all that replied.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Any recommendations for something to use on black rubber trim (exterior windows) that will restore the colour from a greyish tinge back to black and then protect? Heard about Swissvax Seal feed getting rave reviews but it’s £55 a bottle and seems steep.

Hi,

I use Aerospace 303 Protectant for all the trim inside and outside. It work particularly well on the black windows trim, but if you do use this product, spray it on a cloth first, then apply to the trim.

Reactions: Strachan87
I just got some Raceglaze colour restore after recommendations from a detailing site. Its slightly different in that its petroleum based and actually soaks into the plastic (once it is fully cleaned) and is supposed to restore the plasticisers or whatever its called. It dries to the touch when cured and isnt sticky, I have Perl too, but wanted something that wouldnt wash off after time. Said once applied correctly to last 12 months. Bought for the plastic weathershields on the front of the windscreen on the RS3 which I can never seem to stay looking good. Will post some pics up when I test it on something indoors first to see what it does.

Reactions: Bells
Any recommendations for something to use on black rubber trim (exterior windows) that will restore the colour from a greyish tinge back to black and then protect? Heard about Swissvax Seal feed getting rave reviews but it’s £55 a bottle and seems steep.

l use Swissvax Seal feed bought in 2016 to restore the rubber trims surrounds on my S3 sport back..its the best semi permanent trim restorer on the market...been using it lately on the windscreen scuttle brought it up looking brand...new,2 coats lasts say 6 months....and the bottle is still 2 thirds full....its also perfect for dressing for the engine bay plastics/rubbers...Best £55 spent on any detailing l have purchased.....all other trim restorers wash off....bar C4 of which l have used as well.....it's excellent

Reactions: Bells
Tried the race glaze on the weatherstrips and it did what it said. Its factory matt black/grey now, with no sheen. It took a few hits with APC to get rid of whatever I had applied on it (it had a slight sheen, but the whole trim was not even). Only needed the smallest of drops, applied it and just left it, next day cleaned up any residue on the paint and just wiped off anything on the trim and its transformed it to an even matt finish with no uneven spots at all. Will wait until I wash it to see what happens to it then.

l use Swissvax Seal feed bought in 2016 to restore the rubber trims surrounds on my S3 sport back..its the best semi permanent trim restorer on the market...been using it lately on the windscreen scuttle brought it up looking brand...new,2 coats lasts say 6 months....and the bottle is still 2 thirds full....its also perfect for dressing for the engine bay plastics/rubbers...Best £55 spent on any detailing l have purchased.....all other trim restorers wash off....bar C4 of which l have used as well.....it's excellent
Must admit I was dubious about the seal feed but I took the plunge and bought some, found a discount code online so only ended up paying £45 too.

Applied it over the weekend and it has done a great job of restoring the 3 year old seals on my car. A little goes a long way too so the 250ml bottle will last a long time so you do get your monies worth.

I have just done the 'piano black' sections on the doors of my 2017 S3 with 3m perfect-it and it has made a fantastic difference, I will now wax with Zymol to protect them, I am now looking for more Piano black to polish!!! Door pillar

Hi,

For years I’ve been using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the cars plastic trim, so would recommend that. It’s great on internal plastic trim (don’t use it on the steering wheel) as well as all the plastic external trim, and it’s doesn’t look super shiny like some of the products on the market.