Black Optics Grill

alinghi9

Reaction score
Hi All

was wondering if you could tell me where I can pick up a Black Optics grill and what sort of price range I would be looking at?

also would if anyone knows where I can get this fitted in london would be much appreciated

thanks

You can change just the frame that goes round the grille 8P4 807 715 VMZ £55.48 INC VAT.

Feel free to correct me,but there appears to be some confusion as to what the Audi optic grill is as I understand it

Optic grill = All black grill apart from Audi four rings and badge,grill surround in Black not available on its own

Standard grill, Chrome surround is available on its own.

Is the part no above for the std chrome surround or the optic pack black surround?

many thanks

they say its not available when you phone up so you buy the whole dam thing , but it is frenchy has given the no, for the black surround mate

yeah good question. think the part number provide is for the frame.

I was after an all black grill and frame. as the standard grill I would say is more grey.

is there such a thing?

Well as far as I can see they list it as black on the description 'VMZ' on the end is black '2ZZ' is chrome. Latest shape A3 no you cant buy the black surround only the whole grille.

but you can on an 06 cant you frenchy im sure someone has bought just the surround im after the surround as mine is tatty i sprayed the whold lot black it looks fine apart from the surround so i need a new one

8P4853651DVMZ is the number for the whole grille £126.03 inc vat have checked with another dealer to confirm its ALL black.

8P4853651DVMZ is the number for the whole grille £126.03 inc vat have checked with another dealer to confirm its ALL black.

Could you tell me the part no and price for a new facelift (as in sig) S3 optic grill

many thanks

ok is that part number for the '07 version and the audi dealer will be able to supply it?

or is there somewhere I can buy the part online?

will the car actually look any different with just the surround compared to buying the whole grill?

trying to decide whether I can justify going the whole hog and getting the full grill or whether the surround alone will suffice?

anyone got any pics of both?

the chrome grill can not take being sprayed it chips , i sprayed my whole grill and surround and plate backing black .

the backing is getting slight tiny chips so im gona gloss vinyl wrap it but the grill in gloss black is sweet really holding out fine so i just got the surround and its great , i did the surround black first it did look ok but the grill got to be black also it looks much better no tpics though sorry

so you would recommend getting the full grill or getting the surround and spraying the grill slats?

do I need the number plate holder aswell or is that the same as the one I currently have?

the grill surround is gloss it looks very nice i wouldnt wrap it , il put some pics on tomoz i was gona buy the number plate holder but when i went to audi last week to get it it was matt black and is really naff gloss looks alot better for the numberplate holder

take the chrome surround off and the plate holder and satin black the grill i took the rings off left em chrome ...

i glossed the numberplate surround and its nice but slighly chipping im gona wrap it in vinyl but buy the black surrounf its very nice in gloss il post some pics tommoz to give you an idea

So what your saying is (sorry, this is confusing)

The standard grill is: chrome surround, matt black grill, matt black plate holder

What I need is: gloss black optics surround, standard matt black grill, gloss black number plate holder

Is that right?

sorry mate my heads a bit mashed today i cant seem to put words to paper ....

spray the grill sating black good few coats , me personally i sprayed my numberplate gloss black but now im gona wrap it in gloss vinyl maybe satin vinyl cos of little chips im getting , because the black plate holder audi sell is matt black and i prefer it in gloss...

buy the surround its a nice shiney gloss colour ... this is how my car is now il put some pics up tommorrow for you , if you dont like it you can do what ever combo you want , its just to give you an idea.....

Did this at the weekend to my 55 S-Line.

The parts you need for full grill swap on the pre-facelift (and prices I paid) are:

8P4853651DVMZ Sline optics grill (this is grill + black edge/surround + Audi badge) - £126.38

8P4807285G3FZ Sline number plate surround Black (just the number plate bit) - £41.07

You only need these two parts to do the whole swap.

You need the number plate bit as the one you have is grey, like the grill and you need a black one to match the new grill. It's a separate part as they do different versions for different country's number plate sizes. The one listed is for a standard UK plate.

The grill is black and I'm glad I changed the whole grill, not just the surround. But, it's personal choice and I've seen both ways and they both look good.

I've got a great guide to how to change it without removing the bumper - if you pm me your email address. Be warned though - the reason you are meant to take the bumper off is there are two screws behind it, holding the grill. Everyone said these are plastic and can be "popped" through the bumper, without taking it off. My screws were metal and so I destroyed the original grill removing it... Wish I'd taken the bumper off, but by the time I found out they were metal - the grill was damaged...

If you have plastic screws it will take 30-45 mins. With metal screws, it will need a good 3 hours... (I have a guide for doing it with bumper removal too).

Last edited:
yes they are metal on the sline as i found out to still got it off though
personally i think you should spray the grill save your self 100 quid and get the surround and plate holder there's a thread maybe on this page or one back with the item numbers on there right because i just purchased them

think I might buy the whole lot for the simple reason that when I sell the car, I can put the whole standard grill back on and sell the lot so wont be any worse off really, just at the moment :)

yeah i was the same i literally ripped the screws out of the bumper theres 2 holes there now in the bumper but you cant see them so im not bothered what a task i was pulling it so hard the bumper and my fingures neerly come off lol....

same here!

Lost a lot of skin from my knuckles too...

A tip for anyone doing this - after you remove the three big screws at the top of the grill, you can screw them back in, so that they hold the bumper in place (but not the grill). Holds it firm, whilst you are pulling on the grill and stops a lot of the bumper flex (which scared me).

the chrome grill can not take being sprayed it chips , i sprayed my whole grill and surround and plate backing black .

the backing is getting slight tiny chips so im gona gloss vinyl wrap it but the grill in gloss black is sweet really holding out fine so i just got the surround and its great , i did the surround black first it did look ok but the grill got to be black also it looks much better no tpics though sorry

Blazin mate I've sent you a PM bout this!

I've just fitted one to my A3. Had all metal screws. Hour later job done. If you want a complete optics grill give pjmspeedy a PM, he'll sort you out :)

my a3 isnt an S line but still had metal screws... i just used the force and tore the fecker out