Black Edition

Sorry it was question but worded incorrectly. I still do not see why it would not be included as I have friends that have ordered new cars in the past and if the manufacturer has changed spec during the build schedule then they have had those options included.

The answer is yes. If it is standard as at a certain date your car will be built with it in. Your order is price-protected as well so you won't pay for it. I think the S3 drivers really benefitted from this when Sat Nax was standardised earlier this year.

I have also gone from Phantom to Brilliant Black so I can offer a comparison on this to, though I must say I am one of the very few who was not that sold on the Phantom as it for the most part always looked 'dusty'
I very nearly did this. My first A3 was metallic Panther Black and the replacement was ordered in Brilliant Black but I bottled and changed it to Panther Black at the very last second :)

Will also be my second 170PS TDI, although my current car is the original engine from 2006, not the new CR unit.

Full spec:

A3 3-Door 2.0TDI 170PS S-Line
Lava Grey metallic
Technology Pack with AMI
Bluetooth mobile phone prep with cradle in front armrest
Xenon plus
Bose Sound System with 8 Speakers
Comfort Pack
Electric Folding Door Mirrors
Interior Light Pack
Luggage Pack
Non smokers pack
Reversible boot floor

Last edited:
Did Audi ever do Panther Black?

Now I am really confused with our order. Bluetooth now standard on BE but price goes up £200. We have Tech PAck ordered which had BT included yet base price remains the same WHY? Seems Audi are trying to profit out of this one. You pay for Tech Pack to include BT and they put up the BE price and include BT which we already ordered as part of Tech PAck..

Am I missing something..
Full order

A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0TDI 170PS Quattro
Phantom Black
Comfort Pack
Technology Pack with AMI + Bluetooth mobile phone prep
Flat Tyre Indicator
Open Sky
Interior Lights
No Smoke pack
Storage Pack
Luggage Pack
Through Load

We are still scheduled for week 7 but beginning to wonder as week 40 was planned and all quiet at the dealer, no loan car in sight either..

:gaehn:

Last edited:
am i still looking at a 6 month wait?

can someone confirm the rumours of BE 'ending'? if it has, can i still get black grill, LED's and bose?

thanks

am i still looking at a 6 month wait?

can someone confirm the rumours of BE 'ending'? if it has, can i still get black grill, LED's and bose?

thanks

Yeah if not longer?

I don't know about the rumours of them stopping production of the BE but you will still able to get the black grill, LED's (SLine only) and Bose

longer than 6? oh my gooddnesss.

how much are people paying on lease? mines working out at 4k deposit and nearly £400p/m ? including tax, but think i might go down the vat registered route...

Did Audi ever do Panther Black?

I am sure he meant 'Phantom' Black and was just a typo...

The details for mine, as a copy and paste:

AU A3 DIESEL HATCHBACK 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro S Line 3dr [Start Stop]
Solid - Brilliant Black/Sprint Cloth/Leather - Black
18" 20 spoke alloy wheels
Electric folding door mirrors
Sound pack - A3
Matt brushed aluminium inlay
Silver stitching

Plus all the usuals.

Best copy and paste is this Actual Delivery Date 21/10/2010 :drool:

As said my previous was exactly same in spec of the car just an 09 Model and in Phantom Black

Short review, photos and a comparison of Phantom V Brilliant and how much of an upgrade the Bose system to follow in about 10 days...

The second "Panther" should have been "Phantom".

When I had my first A3 in 2003, I'm almost postivie the metallic black was called "Panther Black". I know the current one is called "Phantom" but it was definitely called something different when the A3 was launched.

Lets just call it metallic black vs Brilliant Black ;o)

I had the metallic and I did like it, but it could look 'dusty' in certain lights and the fact I noticed that says enough to show it as an issue.

So in choosing the next one I had the choice of metallic or the sound pack and went to the sound pack and stayed with the standard brilliant black.

So I will be able to compare the paint, the sound system upgrade and how the stop/start works.

So a short and honest review to follow.

As Stratts said above: It's like as soon as you place the order you start to think "I wish I'd gone for that instead". It must be a natural reaction....

It is!!! So I will be glad to get mine and put an end to the "I wish" and just live with fact we all might split hairs on here over many things, but at end of the day we are all ultimately going to be very happy with owning a great car no matter colour etc and so on :eek:)

The second "Panther" should have been "Phantom".

When I had my first A3 in 2003, I'm almost postivie the metallic black was called "Panther Black". I know the current one is called "Phantom" but it was definitely called something different when the A3 was launched.

Our 53 Reg first 8P A3 was Ebony Black Metallic as was our 05 T Quattro which were a bit naff and flat/dusty looking, whereas the later Phantom Pearlescent is sparkling shiny most of the time and easy to keep clean.

Other info...
Panther Black is a new optional colour for the RS5
There is now an A5 and A4 Black Edition too see Brochure Download on Audi site

Last edited:
put my new rings on today too.

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Thats it! Defo doing front and rear badges white now... ;)

It does look good, just not sure about the rear rings being white? Surely the same as having no rings, has anyone any pictures of this on an Ibis 3dr?

It does look good, just not sure about the rear rings being white? Surely the same as having no rings, has anyone any pictures of this on an Ibis 3dr?

What no rings or white on the rear? pic of mine in the dealers looked like it had nothing on the back if you recall but not on a 3 door.

like that,

58777_467064370311_786905311_6559862_7473780_n.jpg

Thing is if the badges are white they will present a shadow and thats what you'll see, will be a double take thing. :)

I had an A4 avant S-line in Brilliant black for the past 3 yrs (now gone -waiting for my BE) a work colleague had the same car in Phantom black during same period. Brilliant black is a deeper black which, when cleaned, looks better. Phantom black isn't as dark, due to the pearlescent finish - as mentioned previously looks dusty. So I think the brilliant black looks better, downside is that the paint is softer and is more prone to chips and bird droppings eating into the finish.
So brilliant is cheaper and looks better when clean, but will show marks, scuffs, etc. more than Phantom.

Had a call from the dealer today! as my car has got an expected build date of week 13 2011, he is liaising with Audi UK to try and organise a courtesy car from January as the estimated date Oct 2010 and then revised date of Jan 2011 is unrealistic.

At long last I have some news - ok it's not the car I ordered but at least it's something.

Waiting on - A3 SB BE 2.0TDI 170 S-Tronic, Ibis White, Open Sky, Full Leather, Folding Mirrors, Light & Rain sensor package, Interior Light package, Bluetooth, Model Tech deletion and non smokers pack.

Ordered August 5th
Expected Late April 2011

At long last I have some news - ok it's not the car I ordered but at least it's something.

Why just for January? if you were told it was due in October then you may get one from november really, unless i'm understanding this wrong..

Because October was the original date on the paperwork when placing the order in the showroom with a worst case scenario being January, Audi UK will only provide a car for the delayed period hence January onwards.

Thats right, ours was due October so 'loan car' due in November BUT protects the PX value and we can suspend insurance and cash in the tax. Hope we don't have to have an A4.

Out of interest, is everyone experiencing long delays waiting for a Sportback? I'd heard that the 3-door wasn't experiencing as much delay and mine is apparently on course for delivery next month, having been ordered in July. Maybe the two models are on totally separate production lines?

Out of interest, is everyone experiencing long delays waiting for a Sportback? I'd heard that the 3-door wasn't experiencing as much delay and mine is apparently on course for delivery next month, having been ordered in July. Maybe the two models are on totally separate production lines?

omg i hope so! so you got your 3 door black edition in 3 months? (ish)

Hi,

This is my first post but I've been following this forum closely since ordering my BE. I ordered on 12th July and at the time, the dealer told me the wait was "about 3 months" but after reading this and the problems people have experienced, I expected that to potentially double.

Amazingly though, they stuck to their word and I picked up my BE on 30th September so had a total wait of 2 months and 18 days!

I wasn't going to post as felt bad that some of you have been waiting so long as I have no idea how or why I got mine so quickly. But I thought my story might give people some hope at least! It just seems so odd that there doesn't seem to be any order and it's more just pot luck.

For those of you who are suffering a long wait... trust me, the car will make it all worthwhile... I love it!

Hi,

This is my first post but I've been following this forum closely since ordering my BE. I ordered on 12th July and at the time, the dealer told me the wait was "about 3 months" but after reading this and the problems people have experienced, I expected that to potentially double.

Amazingly though, they stuck to their word and I picked up my BE on 30th September so had a total wait of 2 months and 18 days!

I wasn't going to post as felt bad that some of you have been waiting so long as I have no idea how or why I got mine so quickly. But I thought my story might give people some hope at least! It just seems so odd that there doesn't seem to be any order and it's more just pot luck.

For those of you who are suffering a long wait... trust me, the car will make it all worthwhile... I love it!

Great stuff! At least someone has experienced a normal lead time on a BE. Can I ask what spec/ colour combo it was please? Just out of interest.

For reference I ordered mid-Feb and will be lucky to see it by the end of November.

Mine's a 3-door and ordered mid-Feb. Delivery forecast for end Nov/ early Dec.

What Spec have you got Kaiser. I am told that the biggest delays are on the Sportback Tdi SS (in particular the Quattro) Ours ordered about the same time as Laiser is a week 7 2011 build.

If more inspiration was needed, I received confirmation that my Sportback BE is now "In Transit to the Dealer", which means it could be anywhere but at least it is on the way at last.

I checked the dates yesterday - I ordered end of April, but the order wasn't placed by the dealer until 4th May, so it has been 5½ months from order to build.

I have had an A4 courtesy car for the past month, and Audi have said I can keep it until 1st March, which is a shame.

The S3 I cancelled because they couldn't give me a build date (Ordered in late May and no bulid date by August) has arrived ! WTF ! Have just informed the lease company as I ordered a 135i coupe about 2 weeks ago. I cant understand how a car can arrive early when several months ago they couldnt give me a build date and only a 'estimated' delivery of 3 months !

It's a 3-door 2.0TDI (170) in phantom black (not the quattro version). Can also confirm the 170 is definitely a twin exhaust ;-)

omg i hope so! so you got your 3 door black edition in 3 months? (ish)
It's not a Black Edition I'm afraid, just a standard S-Line (with a truckload of options). I suppose this could make the difference but it's only really the wheels which could be holding up the Black and not the standard S-Line - maybe this is what the problem is?

Mine was ordered via the broker (company car) at the very end of July and they're still adamant it will be at the dealer mid-to-end November. Will keep you posted.

Mine's a 3-door and ordered mid-Feb. Delivery forecast for end Nov/ early Dec.

I orderd a sportback B E late feb s/tronic / open skysunroof / sat nav / and a few other options
and picked it up 22 may , why the long wait for yours

So if I have ordered my car on Aug 5th without adding the Bluetooth and it is not scheduled for build until week 13 (April) 2011 then the Bluetooth should be added on a no additional cost.

Don't know if your post is a statement or a question, but I have called our lease company and asked if bluetooth will be on my car which was ordered on 11th August. I suspect not, but there's no harm in asking.

The answer is yes. If it is standard as at a certain date your car will be built with it in. Your order is price-protected as well so you won't pay for it. I think the S3 drivers really benefitted from this when Sat Nax was standardised earlier this year.

Stratts is 100% correct, I am happy to say. My lease company have just confirmed that my car will come with Bluetooth as standard.

Thanks PMG and Stratts for clearing that up, well that means another little added bonus from Audi without even opening the wallet.

Nice! And thanks for the confirmation. Did you add any optional extras at all? And which dealer did you order it through?

Yeah, I got the comfort package, sound package and interior light pack. Bought privately through Wakefield Audi.

Yeah, I got the comfort package, sound package and interior light pack. Bought privately through Wakefield Audi.

Honestly no hate from me. You've been lucky and been treated as a customer should when shelling out so much cash, so good for you! Although it does mean that the order and build process is even more hit and miss than I thought it was...

Honestly no hate from me. You've been lucky and been treated as a customer should when shelling out so much cash, so good for you! Although it does mean that the order and build process is even more hit and miss than I thought it was...

Yeah, I know I've been very lucky after reading the hassles others are having on this forum!

To be honest, from my point of view I can't fault the dealership or Audi. They were spot on with everything they said, originally estimated 3 months, I then had a call early August to say build week was scheduled for week 36 (W/C 6th Sept) and they hoped I'd be able to collect it before the end of September. In fact, if I'd been available I could have picked it up any time from 27th September.

After reading the ridiculous delays others are having I was convinced there was going to be some mistake at the last minute and refused believe I was really collecting it until I saw it sitting there!!!

Yeah, I know I've been very lucky after reading the hassles others are having on this forum!

To be honest, from my point of view I can't fault the dealership or Audi. They were spot on with everything they said, originally estimated 3 months, I then had a call early August to say build week was scheduled for week 36 (W/C 6th Sept) and they hoped I'd be able to collect it before the end of September. In fact, if I'd been available I could have picked it up any time from 27th September.

After reading the ridiculous delays others are having I was convinced there was going to be some mistake at the last minute and refused believe I was really collecting it until I saw it sitting there!!!

Haha great story! Maybe Wakefield had some manufacturing spots still available where other dealers didn't? Just guessing. Don't 100% know that's how it works but I thought I had heard that before.