Black edition TDI vs TFSI, B8 vs B8.5 recommendations?

Wastegate86

Reaction score
Currently looking into upgrading my b6 190 Avant for a newer model.
Started looking for a b7 special edition but now I'm thinking just go all out and get a b8 as I plan to keep the car a long time.

Been looking at the black edition and id like the petrol but I can't seem to find many. So now I'm thinking I might need to compromise with the 141hp TDI.
I'm also struggling to decided against the b8 or the b8.5.

Just after some people's opinions to help me decide.
That includes faults to look out for, desirable options, prices, maintenance required.
Any info would be appreciated.

I have the B8 3.0 TDI quattro. Brilliant car, fantastic engine if you can find one of those.
I have had a couple of issues.
The wiring to the front parking sensors became compromised so that disabled the whole system requiring new wiring to the sensors in the front.
There was an issue with the front suspension which was changed on warranty, only affects some 2008 and 2009 cars I believe. Manifests itself with a squeak when turning the steering wheel.
The brake pad warning stayed illuminated, again, wiring had become compromised so required repair and the front passenger door lock was giving a fault. It didn't cause any problems but replaced anyway.

The engine and everything else have been faultless in the last few years and the above points are only minor.
I would personally go for the B8.5. The above issues would hopefully have been sorted by then

I have a B8 2.0 TDI Quattro 170.

Fantastic motor and so far i've had no issues with it. The only thing that i can say is that theres no privacy glass as Audi in their infinite wisdom decided not to put it in the Black Edition saloon. It all depends on your budget. If yo can try get the b8.5. I went with the B8 as there was about 3k on the price difference for what is essentially the same car.

Defo get a tfsi! SAME mpg as the TDi and a lot quicker! Just make sure you get one that has had the oil consumption rectification work done!

As for B8 v B8.5, a lot of people prefer the look of the B8 but it all narrows down to price difference between the two.

Yeah the price concerns me slightly as it's around 3k difference. However I'm a sucker for the flat bottom steering wheel plus I prefer the facelift.
The way I look at it is if it's 3years younger then it's worth the 3k.
Is there any other benefits on the B8.5?

From what I've read the TFSI had the updated rings on facelift models so that should be less concern if I went petrol.
Is there any major issues with the 143hp Tdi engines? I'm guessing oil pumps arn't a problem anymore?

What I'm after is a one owner car with yearly servicing. Options wise I don't know what I'm looking for but I know the Black models come with a few.

The oil problems effected facelift models as well up to a certain point. See the oil thread for more info.

A black edition would be your best bet for doc and they are probably the most common model.