Black Edition or Standard S3 Saloon

Ad72

Reaction score
Current order is an S3 saloon s-tronic BE, navarra blue, 'v' spoke alloys, supersport seats, rear parking, auto hold assist. Same spec standard S3 (have to add b&o, privacy glass) works out at £15 a month more on pcp. Do I go BE or standard as I do like the standard wheels but I also like the black pack on the BE.....
Never had so much trouble choosing a new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all a matter of personal taste really. To me, i think BE goes best with the lighter colours and leave standard on the dark colours but everyone has different opinions.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: well_cool, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
For me it is the black edition all day long!

What about the A6 - I assume your chopping it in for the new S3?

I'm sure someone with a standard order would be more than happy to swap wheels if you prefer the standard ones.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Ad72
For me it is the black edition all day long!

What about the A6 - I assume your chopping it in for the new S3?
Yes, shes being traded in. Car not due till Sept so I get to drive he for another 5 months.

Reactions: Jassyo06
It's all a matter of personal taste really. To me, i think BE goes best with the lighter colours and leave standard on the dark colours but everyone has different opinions.

I agree but don't want a white one, like yellow but keep chickening out!!. I saw a navarra blue S4 with black pack yesterday and it looked amazing in the sun, sure it would look less impressive on a dull day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Psyman79
I had a similar thought as I had a good offer on a BE S3.

The problem for me is I also prefer the standard alloys and due to ordering the car in Mythos black, I think the BE takes too much away from the car, silver mirrors etc...

Reactions: well_cool, Ad72 and Psyman79
Go yellow, its the only way :) Aberdeen have a black edition S-line saloon in just now and it looks awesome :) i would've gone Vegas BE saloon if id had the money

Reactions: Rob2k68
Go yellow, its the only way :) Aberdeen have a black edition S-line saloon in just now and it looks awesome :) i would've gone Vegas BE saloon if id had the money

If I could see some decent pictures of one I may be persuaded!

Current order is an S3 saloon s-tronic BE, navarra blue, 'v' spoke alloys, supersport seats, rear parking, auto hold assist. Same spec standard S3 (have to add b&o, privacy glass) works out at £15 a month more on pcp. Do I go BE or standard as I do like the standard wheels but I also like the black pack on the BE.....
Never had so much trouble choosing a new car!

Are you sure on the cost differences?

The appeal of the BE model is that the additional spec is factored into the residual value whereas a base model car with all the spec is lost.

The residual values are based upon standard cars, the more and more options you add, the heavier the depreciation cycle will be and the higher the monthlies.

This is why the BE is a better deal as the residual value rises.

Im sure i done the same configuration test and it worked out a lot more than £15pm. Are you 100% sure that you do not want the VC? For me, this is what sets the car off against a pre facelift older S3 and I'd be put off the car (if searching the 2nd hand market) not having it.

Reactions: Ad72
If I could see some decent pictures of one I may be persuaded!

VY looks stunning in the S3, and it is the only car this side of an R8 that I would seriously consider. Both VY & AB are truely great colours.

Reactions: Psyman79 and Ad72
Are you sure on the cost differences?

The appeal of the BE model is that the additional spec is factored into the residual value whereas a base model car with all the spec is lost.

The residual values are based upon standard cars, the more and more options you add, the heavier the depreciation cycle will be and the higher the monthlies.

This is why the BE is a better deal as the residual value rises.

Im sure i done the same configuration test and it worked out a lot more than £15pm. Are you 100% sure that you do not want the VC? For me, this is what sets the car off against a pre facelift older S3 and I'd be put off the car (if searching the 2nd hand market) not having it.

I take your point, VC looks nice but I prefer some of the other options over it. I'm 100% sure on the cost difference as I have both quotes. In effect I'm adding around £800 worth of additional options to the standard car to get to black edition (exclude wheels) so at £24/month/ £1000 it works out at £19 so some of the options must increase the residual value to get the £15 increase.

VY looks stunning in the S3, and it is the only car this side of an R8 that I would seriously consider. Both VY & AB are truely great colours.

My 9 year old boy is begging for vegas yellow.....ahhh

Reactions: Psyman79
I take your point, VC looks nice but I prefer some of the other options over it. I'm 100% sure on the cost difference as I have both quotes. In effect I'm adding around £800 worth of additional options to the standard car to get to black edition (exclude wheels) so at £24/month/ £1000 it works out at £19 so some of the options must increase the residual value to get the £15 increase.

Okay, you've just added the B&O and the Privacy. I'm sure there used to be a black styling pack option aswell, along with of course the wheels which completes the BE Bundle.

I'm sure your figures are wrong, it's £31pm for £1000. Just had a play around with the finance calculator online. If you increase deposit by £1000, your monthly payment reduces by £31pm. I'd presume the same would be true with £1000 worth of options, add or subtract.

Have a play around yourself...

https://m.audi.co.uk/finance-and-offers/finance-calculator.html

Okay, you've just added the B&O and the Privacy. I'm sure there used to be a black styling pack option aswell, along with of course the wheels which completes the BE Bundle.

I'm sure your figures are wrong, it's £31pm for £1000. Just had a play around with the finance calculator online. If you increase deposit by £1000, your monthly payment reduces by £31pm. I'd presume the same would be true with £1000 worth of options, add or subtract.

Have a play around yourself...

https://m.audi.co.uk/finance-and-offers/finance-calculator.html

Depends on how many months it's over, on a 48 month (47 + final) it's around £24 / month / 1000 borrowed. Are you using the 36 month figures?
Just checked and it's actually £23.

Depends on how many months it's over, on a 48 month (47 + final) it's around £24 / month / 1000 borrowed. Are you using the 36 month figures?
Just checked and it's actually £23.

When I ordered I didn't have a choice, and in my opinion and yes it's down to individual taste I think the S3 is subtle enough without taking away the only bling it has got... when I look at my standard S3 I instantly know what it is. With a BE I'd have to look round the back to check it's a real one..

The BE is a no brainer for me - mine attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6139.JPG
    IMG_6139.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: Jakes2514, Djs3saloon and Rob2k68
Ad, yes was quoting the 36.

My opinion would be to keep the BE. Looks a bit more aggressive without all the chrome, it will retain a slightly higher value and I think the V Spoke wheels are nicer personally. (A lot less common and again distinguishes the Facelift from the pre facelift)

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Thanks for all the comments and I see pros and cons for each. So I've just spent the last hour at the dealer and totally changed my order!!!
So I've finally and I mean final spec for a standard S3 saloon, s-tronic, Vegas Yellow, rotor grey supersport seats, rear parking, hill hold, privacy, b&o, auto dimming rear mirror. I'm not going to question my decision any more..... honest

Reactions: ASRman, well_cool, Psyman79 and 1 other person
Vegas saloon.... Taxi.....so wrong for a saloon

Reactions: Jakes2514, MattSedg, Djs3saloon and 2 others
Vegas saloon.... Taxi.....so wrong for a saloon

Don't worry, if I see you waiting for a lift I'll drive past and at least it won't get nicked.

Reactions: Jakes2514, SILVAF0XX and Jassyo06
Vegas Yellow needs the black pack to set it off, I'd say it's the colour that most suits the black pack.

That just my opinion though, we all have different tastes. Im sure it will look great. :grinning:

Vegas Yellow needs the black pack to set it off, I'd say it's the colour that most suits the black pack.

That just my opinion though, we all have different tastes. Im sure it will look great. :grinning:

We all have different tastes???
A Elvis yellow shouts out...to me the lack of taste, but each to their own as they say... Now where's that Taxi number am off oot for a pint lol

Reactions: MattSedg, Tom.H and Ad72
Vegas (AKA) Elvis Yellow is definitely a Marmite colour. After spending ages in the dealers looking at various colours on new and used cars, various S3's and none of them floated my boat. Navarra looks amazing in the sun but in the shade with black pack looked a little subdued and not what I'm after. The black pack IMO looked to cheapen some cars (especially an S4 in Navarra) and the S3's with chrome and silver mirror caps looked the best, whatever colour. Yellow for me was the stand out colour that whatever the weather will look yellow. If it looks ***** when it arrives I'll just have to buy some numbers to stick on it and register it as a taxi, that way it can earn its keep!!

Reactions: Jakes2514, SILVAF0XX, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Vegas (AKA) Elvis Yellow is definitely a Marmite colour. After spending ages in the dealers looking at various colours on new and used cars, various S3's and none of them floated my boat. Navarra looks amazing in the sun but in the shade with black pack looked a little subdued and not what I'm after. The black pack IMO looked to cheapen some cars (especially an S4 in Navarra) and the S3's with chrome and silver mirror caps looked the best, whatever colour. Yellow for me was the stand out colour that whatever the weather will look yellow. If it looks ***** when it arrives I'll just have to buy some numbers to stick on it and register it as a taxi, that way it can earn its keep!!

Nevermind me mate just having a laugh, glad you've finally sorted yer new car order out

Reactions: Ad72 and Djs3saloon
Wanted to place my order today, but I am inbetweeen the quarterly change over for deposit contributions. My sales advisor seems to think the have cut all contribtions on the s3... ?? Hopefully not, on the Audi web site it still states £600 down from £800. I am expecting a phone call tomorrow to state if a contribution can be applied to my deal. I hope this Isnt the case as I would of sealed the deal soon if I was informed, any info would be great. Cheers

Reactions: Jassyo06
Wanted to place my order today, but I am inbetweeen the quarterly change over for deposit contributions. My sales advisor seems to think the have cut all contribtions on the s3... ?? Hopefully not, on the Audi web site it still states £600 down from £800. I am expecting a phone call tomorrow to state if a contribution can be applied to my deal. I hope this Isnt the case as I would of sealed the deal soon if I was informed, any info would be great. Cheers
I can find out for sure tonight mate when my son get home from work

Reactions: pburv and Ad72
According to the online finance calculator the £600 deposit contribution is on till July 2nd if i'm reading it correctly?

According to the online finance calculator the £600 deposit contribution is on till July 2nd if i'm reading it correctly?
I hope so mate, I did state this to my sales advisor but he was unsure and need to go higher to find out more info.

Reactions: Ad72
I hope so mate, I did state this to my sales advisor but he was unsure and need to go higher to find out more info.
To be honest l can't see Audi cutting the finance contribution, it's a pittance as it is mate,contributions hardly ever get removed, they just get larger as the car/model gets older but will confirm tonight

Reactions: pburv and Ad72
I think you will be fine, some very good sales advisors and some very poor ones. I had to explain how the +£40k luxury car tax worked to my advisor. To be fair though he' s only young but a really nice helpful chap.

Reactions: Jakes2514 and Djs3saloon
To be honest l can't see Audi cutting the finance contribution, it's a pittance as it is mate,contributions hardly ever get removed, they just get larger as the car/model gets older but will confirm tonight
I was a little stumped at why he couldnt get a answer for me as I was sat next to his desk willing to sign up if he could sort out the contributions, as he disappeared into the back a couple of times with still no solution. He did up my discount to 11% to see what the figures looked like without the Audi contribution so I will be pushing that this is kept on any deal going forward. Previously 8% -9.8 now 11%

I was a little stumped at why he couldnt get a answer for me as I was sat next to his desk willing to sign up if he could sort out the contributions, as he disappeared into the back a couple of times with still no solution. He did up my discount to 11% to see what the figures looked like without the Audi contribution so I will be pushing that this is kept on any deal going forward. Previously 8% -9.8 now 11%
11% dj Sammy lol is a good discount seldom bettered mate

Reactions: pburv and Djs3saloon
11% dj Sammy lol is a good discount seldom bettered mate

I was thinking the same thing, I have been adding the deposit contribution in to work out the total % discount and have achieved 11.8% so 11% without the contribution (a cash purchase) is fantastic IMO.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
I was thinking the same thing, I have been adding the deposit contribution in to work out the total % discount and have achieved 11.8% so 11% without the contribution (a cash purchase) is fantastic IMO.
You get the same discount whether on finance or on the Johnny Cash

Reactions: pburv and Djs3saloon
You get the same discount whether on finance or on the Johnny Cash

I didn't know that, so the finance contribution is a red herring. So if a car is £40k for example and the finance contribution is £1000 and max discount is £5000 i'd get £5000 off for cash or £4000 off if on finance and then the additional £1000 off as a deposit contribution making the total discount the same ( excluding interest etc) the car is £35k

Think mine was 11.1% matched by Hitchin from Maidstone I think.

I didn't know that, so the finance contribution is a red herring. So if a car is £40k for example and the finance contribution is £1000 and max discount is £5000 i'd get £5000 off for cash or £4000 off if on finance and then the additional £1000 off as a deposit contribution making the total discount the same ( excluding interest etc) the car is £35k

On carwow the cash price and finance price as well as discount amount is shown differently, ultimately the difference is the fact that the finance offer will have the finance contribution, the cash offer won't.

On carwow the cash price and finance price as well as discount amount is shown differently, ultimately the difference is the fact that the finance offer will have the finance contribution, the cash offer won't.
So in effect a bigger discount if you take finance and then settle it after a month or so.