Black Edition front grill trim

craigomills

Reaction score
On the BE front radiator grill where you would normally have the chrome horizontal strips I have a loose black strip just above the number plate that has lifted away in the middle. It went into Audi today to be looked at and I was told it must have been done when I fitted my private plate (which is stuck on) they say its not warranty and its not a replaceable part so would need a complete new grill. Apparently there are some clips which have snapped/become loose.

Ill try and get some pics tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this issue? The car has only got 800 miles on it and I certainly didn't do it when sticking the plate on. Nor has it been bumped or knocked.

Completely fobbed off by Audi today.
2e77c63d8ff23a2d96b7fde2672fc835.jpg

Last edited:
Did you not notice this on the day you picked up the car? Pretty sure the grille on my BE A6 is fine but I'll check later and post some pics.

Did you not notice this on the day you picked up the car? Pretty sure the grille on my BE A6 is fine but I'll check later and post some pics.
Only noticed it when I fitted my plate, it's not hanging off and it's not easy to see that it's loose to be fair.

Gonna see if I can get something to stick it back in place.
81ec0f547cbec4ec8b4e2587ff0f84a8.jpg
f791c03978ec8a54ca1619bca9023c40.jpg
fa5c121faf088e69d0850ab95f690f9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

OP, don’t make any modifications!! (In case you make things worse). I also have the same issue , will post pics later on and what the local Audi technician said. Currently out shopping at Asda.

Noticed the same thing on my Black Edition, Its about a 5-6 inch section of trim/strip which comes apart with your fingernail - either side of that length is fine:

So took the car to the Hawco workshop @ Highland Audi for a quick diagnosis & opinion - on my way to Asda of course :wink new:

Audi Technician had a quick look and feel and definitely agreed that there was an issue. He said he would need to remove/re-install the number plate to see if that fixes it but if it didn't, the whole grille would need to be replaced free of charge under warranty. He also said that if the grille was to replaced, he would be sending photos of the faulty grille to Audi UK since it would be them who would be paying for it. But obviously, given the current lockdown situation in Scotland, this would be classed as a 'none essential repair' so at present nothing can be done about it. But once the lockdown ends, I'll be booking the car in with Highland Audi and getting them to investigate this further.

So if I do end up getting a new grille, then you should as well. You may need to get in touch with Audi UK though, if your dealer is being awkward about it.

Btw my number plate was fixed by the supplying dealer (Grimsby Audi) and it hasn't been touched by me. Car has done just over 12k miles (bought brand new).

Last edited:
Mate, that is so helpful. Cheers.

I went back through some photos that I took a couple of days after delivery and the issue is there on the car before I did anything with the number plates. I have sent a load of photos and an email to Arval who are looking into it as ultimately its their car.

This is a complete attempt to fob me off by the Audi Derby dealership. And to be honest I'm not at all surprised given the service I had from them with my previous A4 which was terrible pretty much everytime I went there for anything warranty related.

Wonder if any other BE owners have had the same issue?
528b30aa33fe3ffcde246e7d058c1c02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk