Black Edition 62 plate or S Line 8V ?

Reaction score
Newbie here: could I get your advice on a bit of a dilemma ?
Nearly pulled the trigger on a black edition (Misano Red) 62 plate, 2.0 Tdi S line - from a main Audi dealer, full Audi Service history, done 48k. Can't see any dints, etc and the alloys are unblemished (unlike a few I've viewed around this age). Three of the tyres will need replacing shortly but the car is within my budget (just) and they're giving me about £300-£400 above book price on my p/ex. In addition, in between viewing it for the first and second time the dealership knocked £500 off the sticker price.

However, I'm now getting second thoughts - principally because the 62 plate is the start of the new models. I'm thinking should I wait a couple of months and try for a 62 plate around Aug/Sept when you'd assume there will be a fair few trade ins ? Realistically though I'd probably have to put a couple more thousand in (the sticker price on the BE is £15,495) and likely won't get what I've been offered on p/ex for mine (3k).

It would mean I'd be spending a fair more than I envisaged but then I'm thinking re-sale value will be more on the new shape - so am I being daft sinking the money into the old shape which is right at the cusp of the change. I do prefer the "new" shape but not to the extent of having to spend 2k more(ish) at this stage. Conversely I also like the idea of some of the extras you get with the pre-2013 black edition.

Any thoughts ? Should I just take the plunge with the Black Edition ?

Thanks.

Its a really difficult decision, I purchased a TDI 140 S Line for around 11.5k earlier this year. That was a 60 plate however.

I would say 15.5k is a fairly expensive from the dealer, even though with all history it sounds like it will be a decent car. How do the prices compare to a low spec new A3? Do you actually prefer the shape of the new one, or are you just going on the fact its a newer model?

Thanks for your reply.
I prefer the shape of the new one but only really the S line, unfortunately the lower spec I don't like as much e.g SE & Sport.
For a new shape S line I'm probably looking at having to put in another 1.5k to 2k.
Re the black edition - I've seen 61 and 12 plates at similar prices, lower miles sometimes but 48k doesn't trouble me that much - think I'd rather have the newer plate than the lower miles - another dilemma !

For an extra £1500 I have seen on main dealers website the newer shape with between 30-40 + thousand miles on the clock and like you the mileage would not put me off.Also you get a very good comprehensive warranty with the main dealers. If you look back at some of my old posts you will see over the twelve months I have had my car (main dealer used) I have had at least £5000 of warranty work carried out on it.So if i was you I would take the plunge and get the newer shape car..ps sorry for the long post:blahblah1:

Is that the S Line ? I've been using Auto Trader only so maybe not covering all the main dealers.

Yes that,s the s line on Audi .co.uk..

So do I usually. When you spend the best part of £15000 on a car you tend to feel a little better knowing you have a fairly rock solid warranty with a main dealer...

I would definitely go for the 8v , having just bought an 8p , it is a fantastic car., but being a 12 year old design is showing its age with the interior , just a bit dated . The cars may be a few months apart on the plate age , but are worlds apart on design age ....

Yes, I kind of leaning in that direction. Should recoup some of the extra outlay come resale time (in theory).