Black Edition 1.4 TFSI or 2.0 TFSI

DazNoonan

Reaction score
Would appreciate some advice on these engines please, from owners of either but especially from those who have driven both.

I’ve currently got a C220d AMG Line, Diesel engine and I’m thinking of ordering my next car this week and currently the A4 Black Edition with Tech Pack is leading the way... I just can’t decide if the 2.0 engine is worth the extra over the 1.4 engine.

I’ve decided I’m happy to change back to petrol so that isn’t in question, I’m just not sure about engine and most things I read online are about the 1.4 too.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve got the 2.0TFSI (190 ps) on order and the reason I chose that over the 1.4 was that you get a nice 50 ps increase yet the quoted MPG is more or less the same. However the 1.4 is no slouch and is Audi’s best selling A4 petrol model. IMHO you won’t regret buying either but ultimately it comes down to how important that extra power is to you.

Dont skimp on power, you will regret it,i tried low volume cc before,they do tend to have that buzzy hair dryer sound to them,which i didnt really like.
2.0 tfsi will be quieter faster more relaxed and more economical.

Dont skimp on power, you will regret it,i tried low volume cc before,they do tend to have that buzzy hair dryer sound to them,which i didnt really like.

I can hardly hear the 1.4 nor the 2.0 and when I can they both sound pants ah ah.

I had the 2.0 for 48h and it used significantly more fuel than the 1.4 on my commute at the same pace. Probably 20% more.

Having said that, it boils down to the difference in price ; if there is none then the 2.0 will be better value. If the difference is £2k then the 1.4 is probably better value. In my case the lease deals on the 1.4 were silly and made the car 30% cheaper than the 2.0.

The 1.4 front end is significantly lighter, like 150kgs (!!!). This may or may not be of importance of course but for me it made a significant difference in the way the 2 cars handled, particularly on turn-in, although neither are sports car tbh...

Would appreciate some advice on these engines please, from owners of either but especially from those who have driven both.

I’ve currently got a C220d AMG Line, Diesel engine and I’m thinking of ordering my next car this week and currently the A4 Black Edition with Tech Pack is leading the way... I just can’t decide if the 2.0 engine is worth the extra over the 1.4 engine.

I’ve decided I’m happy to change back to petrol so that isn’t in question, I’m just not sure about engine and most things I read online are about the 1.4 too.

I have the 1.4 and I find it really great. It's very smooth, and very quiet. Up to 40mph or so it feels really quite nippy, and I say that coming from my previous car with almost 300hp. It loses steam at higher speeds, but it still gets to 70 or 80mph comfortable in a decent time without feeling like you need to flaw it everywhere to make decent progress. It has a respectable amount of torque for a small engine, and the A4 is quite a light car for it's size. Driving normally you can make perfectly good progress and accelerate just fine with half throttle or less and keeping the RPM below 3k. It does not feel like a gutless small engine you would find in a Vauxhall Corsa or anything like that, if that is your concern.

I was very dubious about switching over to a smaller engine with half the power of my prior car, but I do not miss the power at all. Obviously it is not as quick as my old car, but the A4 is quiet, comfortable, and refined. It is not exactly a super engaging car to drive anyway - it's safe and composed and will take bends at high speed, but it's not rewarding or fun like a hot hatch or sports car. So I don't really feel like I want to push it hard, and in that sense the 1.4 is perfectly adequate. Considering the worse MPG, I am not sure I would get the 2.0 even if it were offered to me for the same price.

All that said, the best thing you can do is test drive them. People will happily give you their opinion on here, but at the end of the day for *you* personally, you may find that you do prefer and justify the extra power from the 2.0

Have you actually tried the 1.4 in the A4 ? It does not seem like you have to be honest. My previous car has the VAG 2.0L engine, and while it certainly is a smooth and quiet engine, it is not quieter than the 1.4. Yes it is faster, but the 1.4 is perfectly adequate to me and many others. The 2.0L gives you about 20% more power, it's not like you are getting double the performance or anything. Nor can I imagine any other engine than the 1.4L being more relaxing or economical. It's a seriously refined cruiser and sits at about 1800rpm on the motorway, you can barely detect the sound of the engine...

They are both good engines, quiet and refined however the choice will be down to your own personal requirements and needs. As far as mpg is concerned I get around 30-35 around town but I can achieve 40 if I try hard enough and on a long run on A roads or motorways I can achieve the high 40's if I cruise along, mid to low 40's if driving more spiritedly.
It will be the torque output that makes the difference..

I

I changed from a C220d Blue Tech sport to a 1.4 Stronic Sline two weeks ago. I’ve not found the 1.4 massively different from a power perspective compared to the merc. It’s smooth, responsive, and relatively quick. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it is compared to merc. I did test drive the 1.4 before buying and found it suited my needs. I didn’t test drive the 2.0 there weren’t any available at the time. There is a small premium for the 2.0 but didn’t go for it as the 1.4 seemed fine on the test drive. Just took me a short while to get used to a petrol again. I’ve not took it fully to it’s limits as yet. It’s not disapointed so far. Really nice car to be in.

Considering the worse MPG, I am not sure I would get the 2.0 even if it were offered to me for the same price.

According to HonestJohn Real MPG, the 2.0 TFSI gives slightly better MPG than the 1.4 TFSI. So its a bit of a no brainer going for the 2.0 TFSI as you will be getting more power and better MPG - provided you're willing to pay the extra of course.

A4 Avant 1.4 TFSI S tronic 38.0 mpg
A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S tronic 39.3 mpg

A4 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S tronic 34.0 mpg
A4 Saloon 2.0 TFSI S tronic 36.5 mpg

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b9-avant-2015

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b9-2015

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89 and cuke2u
Thanks for all the replies, lots to digest and mixed comments. Just going to digest them before replying directly to you, plus I’m rushing to catch a train.

ScottishA4B9 - Any specific reasons why?

According to HonestJohn Real MPG, the 2.0 TFSI gives slightly better MPG than the 1.4 TFSI. So its a bit of a no brainer going for the 2.0 TFSI as you will be getting more power and better MPG - provided you're willing to pay the extra of course.

A4 Avant 1.4 TFSI S tronic 38.0 mpg
A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S tronic 39.3 mpg

A4 Saloon 1.4 TFSI S tronic 34.0 mpg
A4 Saloon 2.0 TFSI S tronic 36.5 mpg

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b9-avant-2015

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b9-2015

I wouldn't take much notice for a variety of reasons. There is contradictory data in there for starters. It's also possible that users going for the 1.4 have different usage profiles, hence their choice of engine, which makes comparisons tricky. There will be profiles where the 2.0 is more economical of course but more often than not the 150kgs will be quite a handicap. My own unscientific experiment revealed a 8mpg gap on my particular commute.

I previously had a C250 AMG prem plus, I went with the 1.4 for my new lease with most of the options included, the main difference for me was the acceleration/power, i feel like the 1.4 lags but it's just a matter of getting used to. Also i wasn't bothered about MPG as i now work closer to home. Overall the 1.4 for me is worth it, it drives smooth and you feel nice and relaxed while driving and wouldn't expect anything more from a 1.4 engine.

I've run an Audi A4 1.4 for about 1,500 miles and have averaged about 40mpg according to the trip computer in driving mostly on motorways and country rides. Compared to my previous ride, a 2006 BMW 325i petrol coupe, I've been pleasantly surprised with my performance. It's not as fast as the BMW but doesn't feel noticeably slower in normal driving conditions. It's torquey and you can put it into sixth gear from around 45mph. There's a small amount of turbo lag at very low RPM but it's fairly trivial and easily driven around. As another commenter noted, the lighter engine upfront makes the cornering turn-in easier. It's not a sports car but can be hustled pretty quickly down windy country roads.

I'm not going to talk you out of the 2.0 engine if the price difference is low enough but the 1.4 is far away from feeling like a penalty box.

I've been running mine since December and about to hit 4k miles. The engine has loosened up nicely and I'd say up to 40 mph its smooth and nippy enough for everyday driving. It cruises quietly and easily at 80 mph even when fully loaded. Would I like more power? Well, yes but anyone would say that about any car!

It was all about cost for me. I have use of a company vehicle for most of my driving so the A4 is an evening / weekend car for me. I'll do less than 10k miles p/a and the lease cost is so reasonable it was hard not to go for it - the equivalent 2.0 model was at least £70 per month more! MPG is anywhere between 30 in town and 45 on a motorway run

The turbo lag is minimal - you get used to it and naturally change your driving style very quickly. It's no sports car but for a large vehicle handles well and is just a very nice place to be with the tech pack and extended LEDs

Would I get the 1.4 engine again - probably and maybe in future the 1.5 will come to the A4. It's what I expected - quiet, smooth, not mega fast but ample.

But I'm 44 and feel a mid-life crisis coming on. Next car needs to have power and a bit of noise so S4/S5 are possibilities :)

Reactions: Syed Shah
I've done 5.2k miles on my 1.4 with the S-Tronic gearbox. It has been adequate and is nippy when needed. Although fuel consumption isn't great but isn't at all expensive to full tank (around £55 full tank with esso/shell/bp). But if I could do this all again, I would go for the 2.0 Tfsi.

The 1.4 tfsi is nice don't get me wrong, but it does feel a bit lacking at times. I feel the power should have been roughly 170 which would have been perfect for the car, but that's just my opinion (highlighted in case many forget it is indeed my own opinion and rumble on). Its nippy like I said, but the lag can be a complete nuisance after a while. Once it get's going, it gets up to speed and cruises very well. 2.0Tfsi i would imagine would take a lot of the 'lacking' feeling away from the car, but don't write the 1.4tfsi off based on a handful of reviews like mine, it's a capable car and defo a very good cruiser. On long journeys it averages around 50mpg and local you'd be lucky for 25mpg.

I would however advise you test drive both and see the difference for yourself

Reactions: mister.c.
I would agree with test driving as part of the dession making process. An extended test drive - even better. I learned this lesson a few years ago when I bought a B8 2.0 136 tdie without a test drive. I noticed the lack of power straight away which was was awful to live with.

Last edited:
I was having the same debate although was looking at both A4 / A5 and Skoda superbs.. I drove the superb with the 1.4TFSI and is was perfectly fine for everyday use, I just know that for the few times when I want to open it up it would be missing that extra oommph.. We also have a 1.2TFSi yeti and it's great with 110bhp.. again very nippy in and about town, but looses puff 70mph+

I ended up going with a 2.0T Superb..

Meanwhile on some of the more american orientated forums i've seen debates as to whether the 252hp 2.0L Quattro is adequate..

I guess they are used to more power out there when your average family people carrier has a 4.0L v8 !

Reactions: Nickfrog
I've got the 1.4 - no complaints at all with it. Would I prefer the 2.0? Sure. More power for the same fuel economy sounds great, but for me it wasn't worth the extra outlay.

I can hardly hear the 1.4 nor the 2.0 and when I can they both sound pants ah ah.

I had the 2.0 for 48h and it used significantly more fuel than the 1.4 on my commute at the same pace. Probably 20% more.

Having said that, it boils down to the difference in price ; if there is none then the 2.0 will be better value. If the difference is £2k then the 1.4 is probably better value. In my case the lease deals on the 1.4 were silly and made the car 30% cheaper than the 2.0.

The 1.4 front end is significantly lighter, like 150kgs (!!!). This may or may not be of importance of course but for me it made a significant difference in the way the 2 cars handled, particularly on turn-in, although neither are sports car tbh...

150kgs?

More like 30, and I doubt very much anybody would be able to tell the difference :D

150kgs?

More like 30, and I doubt very much anybody would be able to tell the difference :D

You're quite right and to be fair if you can't feel the difference in the way a car handles with an additional 150kgs on the front axle, then it's not very important :D.

The manual loses yet another 45kgs.

You're quite right and to be fair if you can't feel the difference in the way a car handles with an additional 150kgs on the front axle, then it's not very important :D.

The manual loses yet another 45kgs.
Audi website says different.

:D

Audi website says different.

The Audi website also says the optional 19” V-Spoke alloys come with 18” tyres, so I wouldn’t rely on it too much... haha!

On another note thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

This is from the website. What version have you got and what does it say ? Worth checking on .de I suppose
The configurator, also a quick google seems to say the same from a fair few sites here and elsewhere.

Only checked the saloon, my guess is the extra 150kgs is a typo or a misprint of the Diesel avant.

150kgs is far too much for just added displacement of a few hundred cc’s.

I used to work for Audi, they make mistakes on their publications all of the time.

1405kg here

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audi-a4-24

Reactions: Nickfrog
150kgs is far too much for just added displacement of a few hundred cc’s.

I guess you're right, that sounds like a lot although there may be other factors.

The French Audi site lists the weight difference at 75kgs between 1.4 and 2.0 autos while the 1.4 manual is 120kgs lighter than the 2.0 auto.

I guess you're right, that sounds like a lot although there may be other factors.

The French Audi site lists the weight difference at 75kgs between 1.4 and 2.0 autos while the 1.4 manual is 120kgs lighter than the 2.0 auto.
The gearbox is heavy though.

The difference on the uk site between the saloon 1.4 S Tronic and 2.0 S Tronic is only 30 kilos 1375 compared to 1405.

I can’t see any reason why the avant would be so much different?

150 kilos is the kind of penalty you get when you chop the roof off and fit pig iron underneath to stop it wobbling not adding 0.6 of a litre to an engine!

Maybe whoever was weighing it didn't get out the car when they did it!

Loving my 1.4. Although, I do have a tuning box in mine..

Reactions: technics100
I bought the 1.4 and I can honestly say (even though I love the car) I wish it had more!

I think the 2.0 in dynamic mode would be sooo much better!

However as others have said the 1.4 is no slouch, personally, I think I’m just ready for more.

If I can, my next car will be a performance model, thinking s3!

If I could buy this car again, I’d go 2.0.

Roll on 4 years lol

Reactions: Syed Shah
I have the 2.0 and being honest didn’t even consider the 1.4.

I’ve owned loads of performance cars over the years and the 2.0 is perfectly adequate, for me the 1.4 wouldn’t be.

I’m sure it’s a great engine though.

Reactions: Theonenonly
Interested in this discussion as I've just ordered a 2.0 TFSI B9 Black Edition saloon. I waited for a deal to come up on it, having seen deals on the 1.4 Black Edition being available for ages at rock bottom prices.

I could well be very wrong, but I just don't think the 1.4 TFSI has enough oomph to justify it's inclusion in a big(ish) saloon car. My only experience of driving an A4 to date has been my Mum's 2.0 TDI 140bhp B8.5, and whilst capable enough, it certainly wasn't nippy.

Bear in mind the B9 is usefully lighter than the B8....a 1.4 B9 is over 100kg lighter than a 2.0 TDI B8

It's no rocket ship, but feels perfectly fine for day to day driving - I can definitely feel the difference in weight when jumping back and forth from my BMW 420d

Interested in this discussion as I've just ordered a 2.0 TFSI B9 Black Edition saloon. I waited for a deal to come up on it, having seen deals on the 1.4 Black Edition being available for ages at rock bottom prices.

I could well be very wrong, but I just don't think the 1.4 TFSI has enough oomph to justify it's inclusion in a big(ish) saloon car. My only experience of driving an A4 to date has been my Mum's 2.0 TDI 140bhp B8.5, and whilst capable enough, it certainly wasn't nippy.

I had a b8 saloon 2.0d 136 tdie and it was really sluggish. Couldn’t wait for the 3 years to be end. It was noisy too. On the motorway it was okay but around town and B roads it wasn’t very quick. I’ve got the B9 1.4 saloon and it’s in a different league. I did test drive before buying but was still apprehensive given my experience with the b8. I didn’t need to worry. It’s no hot hatch but I’ve been surprised with it for a small engine in my opinion. For me the stronic box makes a big difference with effortless gear changes. I’ve read quite a few mixed reports on the stronic about hesitation lower down the rev range and lag. I can detect it a bit but I’ve very quickly managed to adjust my driving style to how the stronic works. I do find the stop start annoying at times but switch it off if it bothers me. Hill hold assist is a pleasant surprise so simple but just adds to an effortless drive. Not sure how manual owners are finding the gear changes. It’s an engine that needs to be worked a bit. Oddly, early days, but I seen to get better mpg in dynamic mode on the routes I take. Thinking back to when I last had a petrol 1.6i Peugeot 206 it needed a lot of gear shifts to get it going.
Not driven it but I’m sure the 2.0 tfsi will be more than capable with extra umph and a joy to drive.

Last edited:
I have had my 1.4 Stronic for a few days and was also a bit worried before I got it coming from a 2 litre diesel. I have though been really pleased and surprised at how good it feels. So smooth and performance is fine for me for everyday driving.

I currently have an A6 190ps but have ordered a 150 ps 1.4 A4 Avant. When I had a test drive u was impressed how nippy the 1 4 is. The weight savings in the B9 really help the power to weight ratio.

I had a b8 saloon 2.0d 136 tdie and it was really sluggish. Couldn’t wait for the 3 years to be end. It was noisy too. On the motorway it was okay but around town and B roads it wasn’t very quick. I’ve got the B9 1.4 saloon and it’s in a different league. I did test drive before buying but was still apprehensive given my experience with the b8. I didn’t need to worry. It’s no hot hatch but I’ve been surprised with it for a small engine in my opinion. For me the stronic box makes a big difference with effortless gear changes. I’ve read quite a few mixed reports on the stronic about hesitation lower down the rev range and lag. I can detect it a bit but I’ve very quickly managed to adjust my driving style to how the stronic works. I do find the stop start annoying at times but switch it off if it bothers me. Hill hold assist is a pleasant surprise so simple but just adds to an effortless drive. Not sure how manual owners are finding the gear changes. It’s an engine that needs to be worked a bit. Oddly, early days, but I seen to get better mpg in dynamic mode on the routes I take. Thinking back to when I last had a petrol 1.6i Peugeot 206 it needed a lot of gear shifts to get it going.
Not driven it but I’m sure the 2.0 tfsi will be more than capable with extra umph and a joy to drive.
I've got 660 miles on a new 1.4 manual, and came from a MY15 A3 1.4 Sportback. The A4 does need working a lot more, the A3 you could basically stay in second from 2mph to almost 30 if you really wanted to, anything below 10mph in 2nd and the A4 starts to complain a little. Hoping this may still loosen up a bit. Also needs to be dropped a gear (or two) for overtaking a lot more than the A3. It's not a problem, just takes getting used to.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've got 660 miles on a new 1.4 manual, and came from a MY15 A3 1.4 Sportback. The A4 does need working a lot more, the A3 you could basically stay in second from 2mph to almost 30 if you really wanted to, anything below 10mph in 2nd and the A4 starts to complain a little. Hoping this may still loosen up a bit. Also needs to be dropped a gear (or two) for overtaking a lot more than the A3. It's not a problem, just takes getting used to.

Be interesting to see how this recent trend of putting small heavily turbocharged engines in (relatively) big cars progresses longer term. The engine is obviously being worked pretty hard in this configuration - are cars like this likely to last 100k+ miles?

Be interesting to see how this recent trend of putting small heavily turbocharged engines in (relatively) big cars progresses longer term. The engine is obviously being worked pretty hard in this configuration - are cars like this likely to last 100k+ miles?
Efficiency is pretty poor at the moment as well, struggling to break 30mpg, but to be fair it's mainly stop start London driving, with one London - Gloucestershire run. In the next couple of months got another London - Gloucestershire, a London - Gloucestershire - Woolacombe - Gloucestershire - London run, and a London - Glasgow - Leeds - Broadstairs - London run, so hoping it'll loosen up and get less thirsty after that little lot.