1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

Black boxes

Raiden Aug 23, 2017

1. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

My niece is after insurance and online she can save £50 with a box.

Iv'e never had one so not sure how these work. Say she gets one and when it comes to renew in a years time will the insurance company turn around and say 'on this day you did 35mph in a 30 so its now going up'?

Are they a scam? Years ago I was asked by a broker to have one fitted to halve my insurance. I told them 'look its a R32, I won't be driving miss daisy in it'

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. martin1984

martin1984 Well-Known Member Team Silver Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

I work with some young lads and all ive heard is bad as in can be quite restrictive with driving times and also possible to fine you4 being above road speed limit.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

4. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Loads of youngsters (17-21) in my extended family have had them - they are not a con - very often the only way a young teenage, newly qualified driver can get car insurance.
    They do not monitor them in the detailed way you outline. They monitor generally as follows:-
    1) If they exceed 100 mph the insurance can be invalidated.
    2) It picks up fast and erratic driving and sensible driving and they can usually log into a site and see their monthly judgement e.g excellent, good, acceptable, poor etc. Good marks can get discounts on the insurance.
    3) With many schemes they will monitor and adversely score a lot of late night & "early hours" driving as this is statistically when many youngsters have accidents.

Toonsoldier91 likes this.
  5. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

Hmm maybe not for her. she's 21 and not the slowest of drivers