Bkd turbo fault

Timbo88

Reaction score
Evening Ladies and Gentlemen, new to the forum so please take it easy on me ;)

I bought an old 2005 Audi A3 sportback, 2.0 tdi about a month ago now, ran it for a couple of weeks to make sure everything seemed Ok. All was well apart from a slight whistle/siren type noise from the turbo which I've read is pretty common. Anyway, I had the car mapped just over a week ago by a local company called Redland Remapping performance, two days ago the turbo shat itself. Now I completely understand the map will put extra strain on everything and any weak link will give, but it's the way the turbo has literally snapped in 2 which is concerning me.
Have any of you Gurus seen this happen before?
Tia

Attachments

• 20170413_183128.jpg
    20170413_183128.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 232
Seems to me that this turbo has been on its way out for a long time.

I caught mine in time and only replaced internals, saved me a lot of money compared to buying a whole new unit.
If you can, get an upgraded turbo, maybe the one from 2.0 170 or a hybrid one to make it last a lifetime.

Thanks for your reply Rideen! :)
Yes it probably was on its last legs, unfortunately I hadn't the knowledge to upgrade the Turbo from standard so just went for a recon one from BTN turbos.
My worry is that it 'might' be the map that's caused the excessive damage. As I said, It was noisy anyway but I've never seen a turbo give up so catastrophically lol, and would hate for it to happen to the one just fitted.
:)

Could have been worse, the internals could have shattered into hundreds is shards and wrecked the combustion chambers, pistons and the inter cooler circuit.

Thanks for your reply Rideen! :)
Yes it probably was on its last legs, unfortunately I hadn't the knowledge to upgrade the Turbo from standard so just went for a recon one from BTN turbos.
My worry is that it 'might' be the map that's caused the excessive damage. As I said, It was noisy anyway but I've never seen a turbo give up so catastrophically lol, and would hate for it to happen to the one just fitted.
:)

No problem mate, get your car back to stock map as that is what I have done after getting the same stock turbo again, these things are made of paper in our engines it seems. :D

or it was with chinese internals... If you need I got mine turbo (original one) in good shape for sale.

Cheers guys, yes i am lucky Sooty. I spent ages scraping all the melted in bits of turbo out of the intake side of system, there was particles all the way to the air filter. Had to thoroughly clean out everything between turbo and manifold, about 2 litres of oil sat in it, ****** thing was only running about 10 seconds after it blew. Thanks Mark but I've replaced it with a Btn turbo already :)

No worries, anyway glad that you got only cleaning to do xD