BKD or BMN torsion and rear cam adjustment

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Good evening,
I've just done the cambelt on my car. All gone smoothly and I've got the torsion value to 0.35 which seems nice to drive. I read online about adjusting the rear cams.

I've looked at channel 15 which has litres per hour. As i start it up. Its really low like 0.035 low. Then it slowly goes up. Is there a time you need to lace it running before the figure settles?
I left it a while and it went to 0.56 but i turned it off. Restarted and it started low and counted up again.
I want it set right for mpg.

Thank you.

Turn off all electrical consumers and wait until you see stable consumption, values should be like 0.* l/h and definitely not 0.0* l/h

Take readings when the engine is up to temperature and the air con off. Aim for torsion as close to 0 as you can get, and rear cam 0.4 l/hr for max economy, 0.5 for best power.

Some cars won’t read 0.5 and flick from 0.4 / 0.6 l/hr.
With these your at approximately 0.5 when you see the value cycle between 0.4 to 0.6 every few seconds.

Any more than 0.6 and fuel economy will suffer and if your chipped you will leave a smoke cloud behind every time you put your foot down!

Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread but can I ask a question aimed at those more knowledgeable than myself?
I’ve adjusted the torsion on my car a few times now and am quite confident about adjusting the cam nearest the front of the car, this resulting in a torsion value of 0.0 and a consumption of 0.6l/hr.
I’ve never touched the rear (exhaust) cam as I presumed everything was just about perfect given the above readings ; am I correct ?
The car goes well enough , but if there’s room for improvement I’m all up for it....
Thanks!

Sound spot on. You might gain a few mpg by turning the rear cam back to 0.4 l/hr, but you will loose a bit of performance too.

Cheers Everyone. I'll let it settle in over the next few days then I'll have a look. So it's just a matter or letting the car run until it's settled on a number. I can do that.

Thank you.

Finished work today and it was idling like a pig and it stunk. Rev when standing and it would puff smoke.
Got it warm and plugged in the laptop. Torsion was at 1.49 and l/h was 0.65
Adjusted the torsion to bang on 0.00.
Adjusted the rear cam and it already feels better but not had a chance to check on the laptop yet. I'll check tomorrow.
Driving home felt noticeably nippier.

You probably know this but when the cam is adjusted too far out of range the torsion valve defaults to 0.00 fooling the operator.

Revving the car is you see it flick slightly from 0.00 then you’re truly in range.

Reving the car doesn't make it flick but when it's started cold the torsion isn't on 0.00 so I'm assuming it is correct?

Which way do you turn the rear cam to reduce l/h?
I can't get mine below 0.62 l/h

Last edited:
Unlike the front cam giving a + or - torsion figure, the rear cam shows a number with no + or - so you may need to turn it either way.

When you say you can’t get it any lower, do you mean your hitting the limit of movement in the slotted cam pulley? Or the value isn’t changing when you adjust it?

When you fitted the timing belt did you fit the belt with with both cam pulleys rotated clockwise to the end of their slots?

Yeah the pulleys were fully turned over.
Its driving nicely but instead of 48+mpg it's returning low 40s.

How should the measuring block react? Mine seems really slow and takes an age to get up to number.

Torsion value on my TDI170 BMN is +3.6. Curiously the label on the cambelt cover says 3.6, not sure if this is coincidence or a factory setting. I've tried 0.0 and whilst it seems smooth, lacks power so got it back to 3.5. I get excellent MPG and idle is smooth.

Sorry for hijacking the tread but i want to ask the same thing.After the car was warmed up I adjusted the torsion value to 0.0 and left it at that ,after 1 hour I startered the car it started fine but after a 20 min drive the values shot up to 7.7 ,the car was at 2.2 before that . I try to get it back to 2.2 but what happened ? Did it slipped out of adjustment ? Also on the mesuring blocks on channel 14 tha one that should show the exhaust cam the fields are empty

Morning Chaps,

I have an 07 AUDI 8P TDI BMN170

Could someone please advise how fuel consumption is measured on VCDS, I have measured block 15 but it takes ages to settle (10mins) with all consumers off. I also can not get it lower than 6l/hr. So I wonder if the sensors used to calculate it are naff? Please advise on which sensors they are to check. Looking on you tube, everyone's consumption on vcds displays instantly at the current value and doesn't move.

My torsion with 3deg out. adjusted it and lumpy idle/smoking has gone if anyone was interested. Just can't get the damn consumption down. If I adjust one way it goes down but then up again and the same the other way.

Thanks for any help.

Morning Chaps,

I have an 07 AUDI 8P TDI BMN170

Could someone please advise how fuel consumption is measured on VCDS, I have measured block 15 but it takes ages to settle (10mins) with all consumers off. I also can not get it lower than 6l/hr. So I wonder if the sensors used to calculate it are naff? Please advise on which sensors they are to check. Looking on you tube, everyone's consumption on vcds displays instantly at the current value and doesn't move.

My torsion with 3deg out. adjusted it and lumpy idle/smoking has gone if anyone was interested. Just can't get the damn consumption down. If I adjust one way it goes down but then up again and the same the other way.

Thanks for any help.
Hi there.

Did you manage to figure this out?

I also have similar car - 2008 Audi 8P 2.0 TDI BMN 170 and also the L/h value in vcds takes awhile (1-5min) to settle.
Is the initial value correct or the settled one after few minutes?