1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

BiTDi Oh my!

Slackworth Jun 17, 2016

1. Slackworth

Slackworth Registered User

Put my A4 B8 3.0 TDI in for its service at Stafford Audi and they lent me an A6 Allroad Bi-TDI.

All I can say is OMG!!! If you're fortunate enough to be able to afford one and debating it right now - stop debating and buy it. The engine and gearbox really are one of the best combinations I've ever driven.

Gutted to have handed it back right now :( Stafford Audi have left me with a big grin today!

SL11CKK, jojo, AtotheK and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

They are great engines, but once out of warranty they will be ££££ when things go wrong, don't know if you remove the engine cover and had a good look around but just to get at the cylinder head rocker covers could take hours of strip down.

However if you plan to keep it while under 3/5 years warranty and then get rid, I would go for it, however I would get either the 272 or 320 PS versions.

I would have one but I plan to keep my C7 for a few years after the warranty has run out, and my old C6 3.0TDi is bad enough to work on but the BiTDi C7 takes it to another level.

Sandra likes this.
  4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Anyone want to play find the engine. It's under there somewhere....
    [​IMG]

Sandra likes this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

It's a bit busy for sure. :)

6. gordie1973

gordie1973 Registered User

Good god man, you'll be giving me nightmares..... Mines coming up on 3 years, almost makes me want to sell it and get myself something else.......

* I said almost..... :smiley:

7. Rhyso

Rhyso Registered User

Nowt to worry about.......

Mate of mine just had the cam chain and tensioners done on his BiTDI.......£5700 later........

Luckily for him he had an aftermarket warranty which covered the bill!!

8. Slackworth

It was the 320bhp version I had - I had a look at the engine but didn't take the cover off. Was too busy driving about :D

£5.7k - ouch!!!!

scottshere and Rhyso like this.
  9. Rhyso

Rhyso Registered User

Yeah it was an engine out job!!!

Also had the EGR Cooler replaced under goodwill from Audi. He's getting his money's worth, that's for sure!! :D

10. rassi

rassi Registered User

First time I hear of reliability problems with the BiTDI - plenty of very high milers in Germany, so hopefully the woes you describe are the exceptions.

Agree that it looks busy under the cover but so do most engines, a far cry from on the beautifully presented engines of the past, e.g Alfa Romeo V6s

11. Slackworth

I was really surprised by the Tiptronic box. I tried a 245bhp DSG A6 Avant and didn't like it in the slightest which is odd considering the S-Tropic is raved about. The Tip box I instantly got the hang of and it just worked flawlessly.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Scottk

Scottk Active Member VCDS Map User

I prefer the tiptronic but I have had it in the last 2 cars. I test drove a 245 with s tronic just before I test drove the biturbo. Had them both for a day and a half and decided the tiptronic was for me. It does get stuck sometimes but you get used to it and can stick it into s when needed.

scottshere likes this.
  14. Scottk

Scottk Active Member VCDS Map User

Any idea what the service history was like? Was it on long life? This was quite a common problem on the early c6 models-or at least not unusual-but this is the first I've heard of it on the c7.

15. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

mines in for its issues on the 11th of july , 4 years old 99000 and it may need a new engine .......... 22 hrs just to strip heads off for the investigation work

16. Rhyso

Rhyso Registered User

Full Audi service history. Just over 3 years old with 75k on the clock

It was on longlife servicing

17. evans1089

evans1089 Registered User

What aftermarket warranty did he have to cover that? Warranty wise?

18. Rhyso

Rhyso Registered User

Think it was Warranty Direct

19. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

A remap on a standard 3.0 TDI will get you close to the output on a Bi-TDI. The sound generator makes it sound nothing like a normal diesel and the auto gearbox mated to the engine does make the most of the engines performance. Not as quick as a DSG on the changes but still good.
    With a map these will go to over 400 bhp.

20. evans1089

Reliable and usable @400?

21. desertstorm

Yes utterly reliable and of course useable. Pretty much any modern turbo diesel engine will do 25-30% increase on a remap .
    The auto gearbox these use will handle the extra torque without a problem and only a small boost increase would be required to make 400 bhp.
    It's unfortunate they don't fit these in an A4, as it would be my choice of car next. I don't reallly need the extra room/ toys that are found in an A6.

22. evans1089

I know you have an A4 mate, followed your build before I sold mine and bought my bitdi.
    If I were to have it mapped, could you suggest someone that has experience with these engines? Revo do on but they estimate 360bhp ish.

I bought my car, and it's a lot of money if it went bang!

scottshere likes this.
  23. desertstorm

That Revo map is a stage 1 and not very aggressive. Other tuners go a little further and have proven results . I haven't looked that much at this engine but a very good tuner with excellent results is JD Engineering. Unfortunately they are in Holland.
    Just over the pond so not a million miles away. There stage 2 which is essentially a custom map for your car running with V power does 400bhp.

http://www.jdengineering.nl/3-0-tdi-313-320-bit/

http://www.jdengineering.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/VAG-3.0-TDI-BIT-313pk-uitdraai.jpg

Not cheap but as you say they aren't cheap cars.

Stage 3 for 450bhp entails intake mods and a bigger intercooler for 450bhp.

evans1089 likes this.
  24. evans1089

They are a bit of a trek! Nice results though