BiTdi - lumpy engine at startup ?

fatbadger

Reaction score
Hi all

I've a 2016 Allroad BiTDI 320. It's just over 50k miles with full Audi history.

I sometimes find that - just for a few seconds after start - the engine can run quite lumpily when I first start it.
Sometimes it's barely noticeable, sometimes it really splutters, and on one occasion has cut out (it restarted again OK). A lot of the time it doesn't do it at all.
It always clear up and drives fine and I have no other issues with it.

Has anyone else suffered this ? Wondering if I have a developing problem, or it's just a feature....(only had the car a few months).

Although it's got full Audi history, I pulled the air filter out the other day and I've never seen one so clogged, it was thick black and felt solid, pretty certain it was the original. It makes me wonder if, say the fuel filter has never been changed and could be a factor in the lumpiness.

Thanks in advance.

I've had that a couple of times over the last few months in my SQ5.
It clears after a few seconds and runs fine.
I have also had what I think have been dpf regents lately so I assumed its connected?....maybe wrong though.

I have noticed it once on my Bitdi.
Ironically it was the day after it had Oil & filter, fuel filter, brake fluid & air filter changed by Audi.
The air filter was filthy when they swapped it.
It was quite cold out too.

I put it down to the fuel filter.

I’ve had this a few times over the last 12 months. Has tended to be when its very wet or very cold. Probably happened 4/5 times

Wondered whether glow plugs might be a little iffy but it happens so rarely that I am just leaving it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk