Bit of help needed...

johnnywb

Reaction score
Hi all,
Back in May i bought two tickets to the Reading festival from ebay for a mates 21st, turns out she's having a do that weekend, so i sold them again. I cannot now get hold of the person i bought the tickets from. I'm outside the 60 day ebay cover period and also the 45 day paypal cover period. I have a phone number for the guy, but it just rings. his address merely says 'bebington, merseyside' and his ebay account is in a different name to to his email address. Beginning to think i might have been F**cked over. Does anyone know if there is anyway i can get an address from a phone number? Like a reverse directory enquiries? Pay pal must have his bank details, so i'm fairly confident that the police would be able to trace him, but any advice would be hugely appreciated.

If I read you right, you've re-sold the tickets even though you've never received them yes?

If you don't mind me asking, why did you wait so long before going back to Ebay/Paypal to question the seller on the whereabouts of the tickets?

The tickets have only just been released from the promoters. I was too late to get them from a promoter to start with so went to ebay. My friend then arranged to have a party that weekend, so as i couldn't use them, i sold them on.
The guy was emailing me after i bought them fine, but now sems to ahve disappeard off the face fo the planet, strangely enough i haven't heard from since the 60 days expired, which just makes me more suspicious.

I'd agree with TDI, they must have dealt with the same situation a load of times before so should be able to give you some advice or help sort it out.

Already tried that one. His email address is kevin_corkill@...... but his details on ebay say his name is Jeff Banks. Address is just bebington, Merseyside. the phone number given just rings and rings....
his ebay account has been suspended.
It's looking good isn't it?! I've contacted his email provider (its a popular webmail one) to see if his account is still active and i ahve contacted paypal because thats how i paid him, to see if they will give me the contact info that they have.
The one good thing is that i paid through paypal, so he must have put some bank details in, in order to get the money out, so hopefully the police wll be able to trace him that way. I don't know why but i feel like i need to get as much info as i can before i go to the police, for some reason feel like they won't bother? I know they will, just a bit odd.
Tried directory enquiries online, there's a lot of J. Banks and K. Corkills in Merseyside, which is why i was looking for a reverse directory to see what this phone number i've got is for. Aaaaaargh.

oh right - sounds interesting to say the least.

I take it that neither ebay or paypal are willing to make an exception in this case as your outside the relevant dates?

I don't think theres a lot of alternatives other than old bill at this point, What about trading standards - do they cover the internet?

it seems that you've tried to contact this guy by all reasonablew means before going to them.

might be worth dropping him an e-mail threatening to go to da fuzz before you contact them so at least he can't say you never warned him.

Sadly ebay and paypal are having none of it, my bad i guess, won't be buying concert / festival tickets more than 60 days before again.
Ebay must have a better address for him than they've given me, just seeing if i can get it but i doubt it. I'm going to have a look at trading standards website and give the police a call tonight, they always want you to come in the following day to make a statement, so might try and arrange something for Saturday when i can get back to Reading. I've told him to contact me by Friday 1200 at the lastest or i'll; 'take action to reclaim my money' might be worth making clear what i mean, but ont he other hand, don't want him trying to disappear.

Maybe wrong on this, but if you pay for something with a credit card, and you don't recieve it, you are totoally within your rights to re-credit your card. There may be some small print for pay-pal.

Johnny, what was his feedback score and how much have you lost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phone directory enquiries and ask for a number for Jeff Banks in bebington, Merseyside, then get a reverse phone book, I'm sure you can get them on ebay or find them somewhere on the net and you can then get his full address.
Go to his house and kill him.
Simple.

Well if you're not going to kill him then just confrunt him.

But make sure you don't win the reverse phone book from the same guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe wrong on this, but if you pay for something with a credit card, and you don't recieve it, you are totoally within your rights to re-credit your card.n:

[/ QUOTE ]

TDI, you're thinking of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. For transactions over £100, this allows you to make an equal claim against your credit card issuer for mis-representation or breach of contract by a retailer.

Unfortunately, it does not apply here. On this occasion, he didn't use his credit card to pay for the tickets, he used his Paypal account. Even though the credit card may have been what "fed" the Paypal account, that is viewed as a separate transaction. Here's why:

The credit card transaction is for the transmission of funds from the credit card account to the Paypal account. That has been fulfilled as required, so there's no mis-representation and no breach of contract.

The Paypal transaction is the payment for the tickets, but this is not covered by Section 75 of the CCA .

So, even though he can bring a valid claim for breach of contract against the retailer, there is no right to bring an equal claim against either Paypal or the credit card issuer.

Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, Johnny.

bebington's not far from me, people in Bebington are posh.dont think they do crime there......
all i can say is your mate must throw pretty wild partys for you to miss reading....
if you find his address, i could go and punch him in the throat for a small fee.

i also do stamping on the testicles for a further fee.
full price list is available upon request. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Ebay is just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif unless u buy from a user with lots and lots of good feedback... i've been ripped off for a car which i bought and then appeared to be a pile of w4nk and also a phone which wen i recieved it found it was brand new but stolen.... so many a55 holes about tryin 2 rip us off! hope u catch the buger mate!

[ QUOTE ]
Ebay is just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif unless u buy from a user with lots and lots of good feedback... i've been ripped off for a car which i bought and then appeared to be a pile of w4nk and also a phone which wen i recieved it found it was brand new but stolen.... so many a55 holes about tryin 2 rip us off! hope u catch the buger mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for that invaluable contribution. Welcome to ASN.

Yeah, section 75 JDP, i knew it was around that number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, section 75 JDP, i knew it was around that number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you knew all along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry guys, went out for a beer and didn't log on after work. Sadly the my paypal is fed from my bank account, not my credit card, so that poo poo's that one. I tried directory enquiries, sadly they want it a bit more specific than i can give. tried 118 500, 247 etc, new plan is to start with 118 001 and go all the way through..... or maybe not. I spoke to the police who said a crime has definately been committed (no sh!t sherlock) but wait a week just to make sure then report it.
The guy didn't have any feedback.... unfortunatley i've never had a problem with this and have been pretty open minded, however now, if they don't have a feedback of 50 million i ain't touching them. well ok, 10, and that'd be my advice to anyone else, it jsut isn't worth the hassle, or make sure you get a landline contact number that works from them first. and the answer to the big question is.....i'm out of pocket by about £380. ouch. But on the upside, i think i've found a phone number for ebay. this could be fun.

Hi Johnnywb

pm sent, i don't know if these are the correct contact details for him, but it may be worth a try!

Just a thought, bu if someone signs up with Paypal, they have a traceable location and bank account and phone number, this must be a lead for the police.

Thanks OG, replied to your PM!
Yeah TDI-Line, that's my main hope is that i paid by Paypal, so the police will be able to trace the bank account details. I'm going to speak to the Police next weekend, just on the off chance that they might reply this week. Already spoke to Thames Valley, who said wait one more week anyway to get closer to the festival i guess, and then contact them. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for the help and support. I'll let you know what happens. Hey, the tickets could still turn up.... couldn't they.......!!!??

It's unlikely, but in any event, the best of luck in tracing the guy and getting your money back.

Right, reported it to the Police on Thursday. Basically i phoned up to ask if i should see someone particular as it's an internet crime and the woman on the other end of the phone took all the details and gave me a crime reference number there and then. I told her that i'd be back in Reading at the weekend, but then not for about 3 weeks, so could she put a note getting someoen to call em as i have a load of paperwork they might find useful, transaction details etc. Still waiting for the call....... they must all be busy changing the films in the gatsos......

Thought people might like a little update on this story;
so 15th August i first posted this. The tickets never turned up, so i contacted the Police during the last week of August. We are now on the 27th of November, pretty much 3 months since i contacted the police.
The Police have contacted ebay to get the sellers details, they did this the week i reported it, producing everything they need to produce to prove that they are the Police.

Ebay have STILL not replied with the sellers details. Good to see they care eh?

Anyone got any advice where to go next, i was thinking Watchdog and maybe a newspaper.

P.S. called ebay (yup,found a phone number) 'oooh, we're very sorry, but can't help you.' No, more like you can't be BOTHERED to help me.

to$$ers