Bit of help needed

Rocko

TT 225
Reaction score
Ok some background, I collected my 2010 A5 back in June. It was the car being driven by the sales manager at the time and was collected with 1800 miles on it

And now for the rant.

[rant]OK time for an update, and not a good one.

I'm currently writing a letter to Audi UK to complain about their shambolic customer service.

The car has currently been away since the 25th of November for them to diagnose the oil consumption issue (7 litres in 5000 miles). Having been in there twice to collect 2 courtesy cars, they have told me that worst case scenario which is now looking likely is a new engine. Audi apparently don't care about diagnosing and fixing a problem when they can change the engine for less money. At the same time they were to replace the sideskirt which was damaged by the dogs.

But that's not the main issue.

1. Service people in Audi will not return phonecalls, I always have to ring them 2 or 3 times to get speaking the person I want to.
2. They first supplied an A4 Avant, bog standard. Not a big issue you might think, but they promised a vehicle of equal specification which this isnt.
3. Neither is the A5 Sportback I've had since 05/12. Both these cars come with Audi insurance with an excess of £500 in the event of an accident,, therefore, I havent left the house when it was snowing from fear of someone hitting it and costing me £500 before Christmas.
4. Before collecting the first courtesy car, me and the wife were left standing outside work for 45 minutes waiting on the taxi they had called to collect us at 5pm. When I asked the taxi driver, he was able to check that there had been no other calls from Audi to them for a 5pm collection.
5. Get a call on 23/12 to tell me that they have not been able to put any miles on my car. Their plan is to give it to an Audi Mastertech who will top the oil, drive it home and check the levels every night. One lives in Gilford, the other in Newcastle and due to snow and icy conditions, the car hasn't left Belfast.
6. The car was then due to be driven round Belfast by one of their drivers, and oil levels checked every night. Due to snow and icy conditions, the car never left the dealership.
7. During the phonecall 23/12 the service guy mentioned that the skirt had still not been repaired, and due to cold conditions the bonder wouldn't cure but if I wanted, I could have come and collected the vehicle for use over the Christmas period. I would then hav to return to get the oil consumption issue rechecked.

All in all, total mess. I am thoroughly unhappy about the level of service I have received and have told them that. I was assured "they would sort me out" but I am not pleased about having a 6 month old car with a new engine. In terms of resale value, this would put me off despite being a dealer repair.

A5 most unreliable car? So far, yes, but the aftersales service has been 1000 times worse.

[/rant]

So where does that leave me? I haven't had the car for a month and it's still not fixed, nor have they tried.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I have had a lot of dealings with dealerships and non of it very good. Its always best to try them though, which you have. It is totally wrong a 6 month old car needs a new engine and I agree with your thoughts on resale etc. May be worth pushing them to diagnose why its so oil thirsty before just changing the engine. If you get no joy, try Audi UK to either customer service or the top Guy, Jeremy Hicks. I have dealt with them and been extremely impressed tbh. Just dont go in guns blazing, it wont get you anywhere, no matter how frustrated you feel, be nice. Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

So where does that leave me? I haven't had the car for a month and it's still not fixed, nor have they tried.

You need to look into the sales of good act, doesn't a car, especially being sold to you from a dealer, must be of a certain roadworthyness or you can tell them to stuff it and request a full refund within a month? I've heard of people who have had bad experiences over a 12 month period with a VW Polo, and in the end, VW themselves had to pay back in full, including any interest payments, the full value of the car to compensate. Now Audi are essentially the topend of VW, so you should throw the book at them with the way you are being treated, as it seems they are not doing what they have promised, despite the bad weather?

Hi Jo, seems that's way. I've hunted and hunted for any legal documents regarding time limits on repairs but have come up short. I'm not happy with the way things have gone and they dot seem to care at all.

Now it's a £30000+ car that needs a new engine, yet I don't seem to be taking precedence in their thoughts. I've found out that despite being promised a call as soon as they open tomorrow, they are in fact open today. Being treated for a mug I think.

Lesson learnt, Audi don't give a rats *** about their customers.

I’m pretty sure you can throw the book at them on this. You have already given them more than enough chance to start fixing the problem and it sounds like they have been very unreasonable.

If I were you I would give them a deadline for tangible results. Explain that you want the car sorting by a (reasonable) date and if not you are going to reject the vehicle under the sale of goods act for being of an unsatisfactory quality and not fit for purpose….

Contact Audi UK and let them know exactly what you are doing and make a log of every conversation (names, times etc) for potential future use. Also put your intentions in writing to the dealership and CC Audi UK in too.

The trick is to appear reasonable but at the same time push for results. You have to give them opportunity to fix the problem before you can reject the car. I would reject the car if they decided they were fitting a new engine by the way- it would devalue it. At the same time I would reject the car if they didn’t get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

Again, it’s all about being reasonable. A reasonable person would expect that a 30k car wouldn’t need a new engine/major repair after such a low mileage and if it did you would expect to be treated well…

Have a little read of this; Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

Rocko, at the end of the day the vehicle hasn't lived up to the purpose it was designed for.. if it was for instance sake a tv or washing machine etc then it would have been replaced by now..

Drastic i know but "fit for purpose" is what they have to abide by..similar thing happened with a mates car when we were abroad in the military and the vehicle was replaced..

(ps good to see another local on here - even tho i originate from the east mids lol)

sales of goods act, section 46 subsection A. i believe mate.(cant confirm this atm)

if anything is wrong with the product, car, cat (insert anything bought) within the first 6 months of purchase ur entitled to a full refund, full repair or replacement.

ill try find the full section.

Edit: Here ya go, this applies to both new and 2nd hand.

48AIntroductory

 
(1)This section applies if—
(a)the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and
(b)the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery.
(2)If this section applies, the buyer has the right—
(a)under and in accordance with section 48B below, to require the seller to repair or replace the goods, or
(b)under and in accordance with section 48C below—
(i)to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
(ii)to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.

-----
48B
(1)If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—
(a)to repair the goods, or
(b)to replace the goods.
(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

Last edited:
For the record, Jeremy Hicks is a superstar. One email to him and now the director of Audi Belfast is looking after me.

And he phones when he says he will, unlike that other eejit.

Hope it gets sorted soon then mate! Sounds like you've had a right ballache with them so far!!! Keep us all updated with future news.

Come on Welly, you mean to say he aint in your PAB???

Rocko to be honest mate, I have heard nothing but praise for Jezza, I hear his team are really good and they will ensure whatever issue it is that you are having with Audi is resolved in a relevant and timely manner.

So lets hope this is the case here....let us know how you get on.

Car needs new pistons and rings, which is happening on the 19th.

But in the mean time, they are taking back the A5 2.0 TDI Sportback they leant me and supplying an S4, which Im collecting today.

Things are looking up then!!!! And new pistons and rings will be better than a new engine. As you say, looks a little better than a full engine swap on the log book for future selling...hopefully!

Hope you enjoy the S4, you'll end up wanting one of them now, haha.

Car needs new pistons and rings, which is happening on the 19th.

But in the mean time, they are taking back the A5 2.0 TDI Sportback they leant me and supplying an S4, which Im collecting today.

That sounds like a win then.... :thumbsup:

Yep couldnt be happier. Well I will be once I have the car back, but Jeremy Hicks is now a god to me. He effectively sorted out the issues I was having with the dealer in a day, and now the MD of Audi Belfast calls me every other day with updates.

Must not fall in love with S4, MUST NOT fall in love with S4.

f9115946.jpg

In love with S4. Amazing wonderful car.

Hi Rocko, S4 or no S4 mate, so you are going to end up with a 6 month old A5 TDI that's had to have it's pistons and rings replaced, or a new engine dropped in? Are you seriously happy with that?!

I wouldn't be personally.

In all honesty id push for a new car, not a repair or a new engine.Sad to hear your dealers crap.Youd think that something germanic would be pretty consistent across the board.My dealer in coventry is brilliant.Doesnt help you though!Nice to know that someones listening to you now

At this point I have no choice. They are offering to repair the car, I have to give them the opportunity. If it sorts the problem then I'll be happy. If not, I'll be wanting this S4.