Bit of ebay help

tdia4

TDIPOWARRR
Reaction score
Recently sold a laptop charger on ebay for £21, sent the item out next day first class.

Anyway 2 days ago I got a email from the guy who bought it asking where it was, I told him I had sent it out ages ago and that I have the proof of posting reciept, I said what was wrote on the reciept and it turns out its his old address its being sent to.

He is now going on saying that I should have used the address from paypal and not ebay, now I always use the address from ebay, always have always will. He's saying now that he wants a refund.

I've told him that its not really my problem and that the ebay address should have been updated and he didn't say use the paypal address or anything.

I also said won't your post get forwarded to your current address, to which he has replied, "It doesn't now because I moved ages ago" Now surely if it was that long ago since you moved you should have updated your address on ebay by now.

So do you think I should refund, in my eyes its not my fault at all, why should I be left out of pocket because someone can't update their address?

tbh i would tell him where to go, it's not your fault he should have updated his address

When he completed the sale in ebay he would have had to select his shipping address, and if that was his old address then its his problem, not yours. Explain that to him.

So, if you don't mind the negative feedback then tell him to go jump.

Tell him to F@@k right off. If he cannot be assed to update his details thats not your fault why should it cost you for his f@@kin laziness !!!!!!!

So whoever lives there now has a charger that doesn't belong to them and should return it, or he does still live there and is trying it on.

There is only one course of action.

Mail some dog **** to the same address, just for the hell of it:yes:

Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly you have to send the goods to the address on the paypal payment otherwise your not covered by the seller protection. It looks like whoever lives at his old address is going to get a free charger and you will have to refund him!
Not the outcome that you will like but that's how it works, think yourself lucky it's only a relatively small amount!

Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly you have to send the goods to the address on the paypal payment otherwise your not covered by the seller protection. It looks like whoever lives at his old address is going to get a free charger and you will have to refund him!
Not the outcome that you will like but that's how it works, think yourself lucky it's only a relatively small amount!

Hmmmm... I'm not too sure about this.
The sale/purchase was done through ebay therefore I think its fair to assume that whatever address is held on ebay is the one the goods should be sent to.

Taking who is actually right or wrong out of the picture, I reckon the buyer should just accept he messed up by completing the ebay part of the purchase with the incorrect address and take the hit on the chin.
There wouldn't be a problem if he had his correct address stored on both.

Don't refund him.
Delay delay delay while you transfer the money from your paypal account to your bank account and then cancel the link/direct debit between them.

Last edited:
Yes but seller protection only covers you if you post to the address on the paypal protection

Post the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page. If the item is delivered in person or if the seller posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme.
You may access the “Transactions Details” page by logging into your PayPal Account, selecting “History” and then selecting “Details” for the transaction.
If it goes to dispute, then it's likely ebay will end up reimbursing the buyer and put your paypal account into negative.
Harsh I know but that's the reality!

Sounds like a new scam to me, his old address was probably something like his parents house, or at least somebody he knows. He can then pick it up and start a dispute.

So, according to ebay/paypal policy there is nothing you can do because you (apparently) sent it to the wrong address? I wouldn't reimburse them because it looks like a scam and because even if it's not a scam it's clearly not your fault.

It's not right that ebay owns paypal now, the whole point of paypal was to send money safely without auction sites and such influencing them.

Not sure what I should do about this now, i'll wait untill he opens dispute and take it from there. Or I could write to where I sent the item to asking if they would be kind enough to either send it back to me or send it on to him if I cover the postage.