Bit of advice on a scrape please chaps. Ins or diy

dvalve1

Reaction score
Hi all, would like you hear your thoughts.

Had a scrape with a transit van today, near side wing damaged, and bent the bumper out of shape. Fog lamp grille missing and caught a tiny bit on the bonnet where the paint is cracking.

Now the car a 56 plate 8p has done 150k just sailed through its mot and had intended keeping as a runaround wholesaling a second more exotic car. It's worth about 1500-2k.

hardly any (if any) damage to the trannie, as it was it's wheel that scraped mine.

Should I claim for it? Pay the excess, pay in future premiums? Or bite the bullet adjust get it fixed myself.

Don't reckon the large company operated van owners will discuss anything other than an insurance job.

I'm thinking doing the work I guess at around 300 quid but that's just a figure I'm guessing at tbh. Surely can be any more than the excess and increase of premiums in subsequent years.

Any advice on how much I can expect my premiums to increase fr a claim would-be good, pay around £300 atm.

I reckon the van owners would leave their van as is.

Cheers in advance.

Hi all, would like you hear your thoughts.

Had a scrape with a transit van today, near side wing damaged, and bent the bumper out of shape. Fog lamp grille missing and caught a tiny bit on the bonnet where the paint is cracking.

Now the car a 56 plate 8p has done 150k just sailed through its mot and had intended keeping as a runaround wholesaling a second more exotic car. It's worth about 1500-2k.

hardly any (if any) damage to the trannie, as it was it's wheel that scraped mine.

Should I claim for it? Pay the excess, pay in future premiums? Or bite the bullet adjust get it fixed myself.

Don't reckon the large company operated van owners will discuss anything other than an insurance job.

I'm thinking doing the work I guess at around 300 quid but that's just a figure I'm guessing at tbh. Surely can be any more than the excess and increase of premiums in subsequent years.

Any advice on how much I can expect my premiums to increase fr a claim would-be good, pay around £300 atm.

I reckon the van owners would leave their van as is.

Cheers in advance.
Surely if his wheel scraped yours then it’s their fault? So you can claim of his insurance and they pay for the repair in full, not costing you a penny?

No sure what effect the claim would have on my insurance renewal if any in the future, pardon my nativity, not had a scrape for 25 years so am a bit rusty on the details.

No sure what effect the claim would have on my insurance renewal if any in the future, pardon my nativity, not had a scrape for 25 years so am a bit rusty on the details.
You should be fine, the question insurance companys ask is,

Have you made a claim in the last 5 years?. You won’t be affected if it wasn’t your fault and the third parts insurance pays for it.

Otherwise people everyday will be punished for other people crashing into them, unless of course they weren’t insured. But that’s a whole new story ha

Best too chat to your insurance company and seek advice from them about where you would stand , but if i mind rightly if the other person caused the accident and are willing to put there hands up it is there insurance who fit the bill to have your car fixed if it viable to do so and if not then scrapped .

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated. Just miffed off as I love my A3. Had it for 8 years and had no plans of letting it go :)

For a £300 repair job, have it repaired by a body shop and pay for it yourself. Going through your Insurance will end up costing you a lot more down the line even with bonus protection. Your Excess won’t be far of £300 at a guess so you’ll be paying the whole bill anyway.

I have always paid directly for repairs up to £1000, no insurance involved and my policy payments have always been cheap due to no claims.

Going to speak to a bodyshop tommorow regarding repair cost and will see what's what. Checked on excess and is coming in at 150. Checked on a price comparison site what a quote would be with a no fault claim and with my current provider it jumps from 330 comp to 590!! Best quote was still a hundred quid increase. That over the 5 years and it mounts up. Can totally see your logic.

Good job you checked your excess and future premium costs. I upped my excess to £500 last year and of course the premium has dropped to under £300. I’m low risk due to my grandad status and don’t park on the road.

You may see an increase in your future premiums if you do put a claim in, even though it wasn't your fault. Some insurers will say evidence shows if you've been a victim before, analysis shows you are likely to be a victim again. Therefore you are seen as a higher risk compared to someone who has never claimed, regardless of whose fault it is. Of course, it pays to shop around when renewal time comes round. You may find your premium doesn't go up and is not affected by a non-fault claim.