Bit low at the back????

750FLYER

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've had the A4 6months now, love it.. but have always thought the rear suspension looks low.... I can only guess that the previous owner was maybe a rep who overloaded the car with tonnes of crap.. This may be wrong... maybe i'm wrong... maybe it should look like that?

What do you think??? Does it look a bit low???

I've looked at other A4's on the road and think it is a bit low.. If so, what should I do? Is it new shocks or new springs needed maybe??

Any thoughts appreciated.
WP 001325
WP 001324

These pics are her pretty much totally unladen by the way... small box in the back and a baby seat.....

It all depends what is in the small box I guess ???

Seriously, I think its pretty much how the A4 Avants with factory springs seem to settle to with time, however, there is an often experienced issue with the the rear coil spring fracturing, loosing around 1 'coil' which ends up sitting in the spring location in the rear arm. I'd look at that to confirm.......

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/broken-rear-springs.245610/#post-2483621

I'm guessing yours is SE model judging from the wheels ? My S Line Avant sits about 30mm to high at the front too, relative to the rears (the rears for me sit perfectly in the arches so wouldnt want this to change when changing springs)

I think if you look through a few of the recent threads ,theres a few of us with this stance issue looking to do something in the near future......

as gary says, check for that broken coil section, my had broken after the first ring section, but, the car didn't show any loss in ride height but has felt a bit looser recently when cornering.

Yep I've been asking the same question, seems this is quite normal a stance for our cars. What were audi thinking?!?!?!

And get that front wing sorted before it eats itself :tongueclosed:

lol yeah that rust.. gotta sort it very soon I know.

Yep I think the front looks high too.. nothing that seems to affect the ride so guess it will be OK.. the box in the back weighs not a lot although I did fit a towbar recently and they are quite heavy. I'll have a look at the springs but probably unlikely that they've both broken I guess??

lol yeah that rust.. gotta sort it very soon I know.

Yep I think the front looks high too.. nothing that seems to affect the ride so guess it will be OK.. the box in the back weighs not a lot although I did fit a towbar recently and they are quite heavy. I'll have a look at the springs but probably unlikely that they've both broken I guess??

It seems broken rear springs is also relatively common (seen a lot of posts on here where members have reported this) I had mine checked a few weeks back just in case this was the reason mine was lower at the back.

Looks about the same at the front tho Soot1.. Mine looks ridiculously high. Is yours an S-line? They have a more sporty stance anyway I think

S4's don't have an Sline version but the springing and feel is exactly the same as the Sline A4's and A3's.

Yep I got snapped springs............ Easy job??????

not too bad but allow for stuborn nuts and bolts to make things a tad more trying, it does appear to be a common problem on B7 avants, is it one or both.
had the same issue on mine, and after new springs fitted the rear end still sits at exactly the same height as it did with the broken ones.....

It's the nearside... Didn't have time to look at the other side but will prob be best to replace both at the same time I guess... Any advice on which ones to buy? I don't want to upgrade just replace like-for-like....

mine was offside , warranty covered the repair etc ,but they would only replace the broken spring , said that the other side would not need replacing and would not cover doing both so just had the offending side fixed, no problems so far with one new and one old spring and ride seems fine and no un-eveness either.

I would replace both. You can be sure if one has snapped the other will follow
It's the nearside... Didn't have time to look at the other side but will prob be best to replace both at the same time I guess... Any advice on which ones to buy? I don't want to upgrade just replace like-for-like....
Just use the OE Audi sourced ones.

Just an update on my car photo Post 10. I have just found out that the rear springs were renewed by an Audi main dealer this January 2015. The upshot is, Avants do sit a tad lower at the rear even when new.

I replaced both rear shocks and springs and now the car actually does sit at a better angle.. and it all feels lovely and bouncy.. :yellowrs4:

Springy then Soot1.. If you prefer this wording! ha ha...

To put it another way they work fine and great, smashing, lovely... spot on!

so a happy bunny then, glad your all sorted now.

Reactions: 750FLYER
Awesome! By the way Bikey Boys, I'm at Snetterton this Monday woo hoo!

Hope it didn't rain Soot1... I have a fairly depressing 80% wet record at Snetterton.... Bloomin place.

Lovely track tho tis true!

Just a bit wet from lunch onwards, not so bad in a car, "oversteers are us"

This was me and my mate trying very hard to avoid 'oversteer'.. Me on the inside... Kept it shiny side up happy to report.... :eek:

WETTERTON

real bikers do it in the wet.....nice one chap

Cool, but bikes just scare me, in the 'Self Preservation Society' is me. The yellow bathtub scares me enough.

Last edited:
na, bikes are fine chap, just take a brave pill and go fo it, you cant beat it for the pure rush, everytime i take to the track it i feel years younger...you should try it sometime.

As long as its even on both sides i wouldn't worry.