Bird crap

mac1403

Reaction score
Just a small question for the guys in the know. What's the chance of bird crap being so acidic it will eat into the paint and cause a frosted etched effect in less than 6 hours. Reason I ask is I spent the weekend detailing my car but when i came out of work this afternoon there appeared to be a dollop of bird crap down the passenger side. Must admit it looked a bit weird and more like a splat of mud. Anyway, washed it off this afternoon and where it was left what I can only describe as a frosted etched look to the paint. It eventually polished out out with some Merzerna after about an hour of going over it. I just can't believe its possible for bird crap to cause that mush damage in less than 6 hours!

Easy, it will damage the paint in less than an hour.
Its normally dry within a few hours if the sun is on it, and by then the damage is done.

Poxy water based clearcoats

Easy, it will damage the paint in less than an hour.
Its normally dry within a few hours if the sun is on it, and by then the damage is done.

Poxy water based clearcoats

Thanks for the reply mate. I was honestly getting paranoid thinking some scumbag had put brake fluid or something and then plopped it on the car. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it in all the years i have been driving. Usually you can just was it off and there is no mark. You can imagine the look on my face when i washed it off and you could clearly still see a frosted patch . It took about an hour with the pc to get it so it doesn't show. The **** of the matter is I work on airfield so there shouldn't be any birds around anyway!!

Yep, its nasty stuff alright. I spent ages getting rid of bird poo marks on my car the other week. Luckilly none of them were too deep and only took a bit of polishing to get rid of.

I think a good few layers of wax helps though.

T

I have had than, i had a bit on the boot that i had to rotary polish out to remove !!

God damned mutant birds....

I can understand the principle of acid crap, but what the hell are these birds eating? To do that much damage in a couple of hours is insane.....You would think the bird would just melt.....must have titanium guts or something, no wonder they want to ***** all the time

Lol, it is pretty mental; sea birds in particular have highly concentrated paste-like urine with a pH that can dip below 5 and if this is sat on your paint under hot, sunny conditions sever etching can occur within hours. Good to chat on the phone the other day, hope you are now reassured! :yes:

Lol, it is pretty mental; sea birds in particular have highly concentrated paste-like urine with a pH that can dip below 5 and if this is sat on your paint under hot, sunny conditions sever etching can occur within hours. Good to chat on the phone the other day, hope you are now reassured! :yes:

Thanks for the advice the other day. It took 3 days to sort in the end. After day one I would have swore the etching was gone. Next day looked in a different light and it was still there. Had another go with the PC, this time it must be perfect LOL. Went to the garage to fill up, paid and as I walked out I could still see the mark. Tried your method of wiping it down with white spirit after polishing....thanks, worked a treat as I could see it needed more work straight away so continued with the PC, cleaning and checking as I was going. Its now spot on and you would never know there was ever a mark

DO YOU THINK MY ROTARY WILL SHIFT THIS .....LOL

alot_of_bird_crap.jpg

wow!!! can safely say that car is way past saving with a rotory, respray or leave it and go for a rat look or should i say crap look

hi mate,

this is exactly what happened to me yesterday!!

washed it off, and to be fair, it looked like a small animal had the shits on the paint, it was massive!! and brown!!

Not what you'd expect bird poo to look like.

****** my paint, and I've given it 5 go's with my kestrel DA, starting with finess it, then megs 2.0 swirl remover, then ultrafina. and it's still there, slightly. Not that a norm would notice, but I do!

gutted.

hi mate,

this is exactly what happened to me yesterday!!

washed it off, and to be fair, it looked like a small animal had the shits on the paint, it was massive!! and brown!!

Not what you'd expect bird poo to look like.

****** my paint, and I've given it 5 go's with my kestrel DA, starting with finess it, then megs 2.0 swirl remover, then ultrafina. and it's still there, slightly. Not that a norm would notice, but I do!

gutted.

It took me up to now to get rid of it and to be truthful I am not 100% certain its is actually gone. As far as I can tell the polish masks the problem, which is not what you want. I even wiped the area down with white spirit so I could get a true idea of how much correction I had achieved. 5 days later it showed up again. Spoke to Polished Bliss who were very helpful, but had never experienced re-appearing etch before. Came to the conclusion the polish was hidden in the etch and when heat was applied, ie, the sun, the moisture evaporated allowing the acid in the bird ***** to do it's thing again. I polished the area out till it looked totally gone and then applied a hair drier for 10 minutes. To my amazement the etch started to re-appear. I had been polishing with my Porter Cable, an Orange Lake County pad and some Menzerna medium cut polish. As this wasn't cutting the mustard I moved to some Gloss-it Extreme cut and a compounding pad, followed by some final finish and again the Lake Orange pad. I did this last Saturday and so far has not appeared again.
I know what you mean with the brown bird crap though, as that is exactly what mine looked like. What pad are you using with the polisher? If you do decide to move to some thing a bit more aggressive like me, take your time with it and try not to remove more than the etch. Unfortunately it is very hard to see where it ends as like I said before the polish masks the problem.

had this problem on my mates s3, tryed polishing it out by hand at the monthly meet we both attend but no joy, he then bought over to my place for its annual detail and i hit it with the rotory using a red finishing pad and a combination of chemical guys all in one and some autosmart evo fine,it needed a few passes before it was totally gone, then applyed chemical guys factory sealant followed by 2x coats of collinite 845 insulator wax and a layer of dodojuice purple haze. good as new.

Uric acid etching sucks - probably the nastiest type of paint defect to have to deal with. I'm still amazed at just how acidic some types of bird crap can be. :faint:

Uric acid etching sucks - probably the nastiest type of paint defect to have to deal with. I'm still amazed at just how acidic some types of bird crap can be. :faint:

agreed!!! i get this quite alot on customers cars, pain in the backside to put it mildly.

the splodge on my mates s3 was on the car for only a couple of hours and the damage coursed was nasty.

Im pretty sure that some waxes/sealants are better at resisting the bird crap than others...its a shame that an independant test hasnt been done...Its hard to find comparative tests apart from the bent motoring mags 'testing' the mainstream stuff like turtle wax and autoglym.Depending on who bungs the journo depends on who gets the rating.Im in two minds as to go down the scrapper and get an old bonnet and do some testing myself.Only problem is I need a new supply of pigeons as ive exterminated my locals (must be a head shot or theyll flap like buggery).I know there will be a lot of variables especially as to the severity of the crap which of course is dependant on what the buggers have eaten.Ive suffered the damage from bird crap, lime trees(my last b7 supaguarded burnt straight through requiring a visit to the paint shop) and fly squash, and so far have found that my bonnet which was done with blackfire/blackfire midnight sun wax is less resistant than standard collinite.So even to satisfy myself its worth it, cos ill be damned if im going to drive it with its cover on.I blame the water based paint and lacquer.

Im pretty sure that some waxes/sealants are better at resisting the bird crap than others...its a shame that an independant test hasnt been done...Its hard to find comparative tests apart from the bent motoring mags 'testing' the mainstream stuff like turtle wax and autoglym.Depending on who bungs the journo depends on who gets the rating.Im in two minds as to go down the scrapper and get an old bonnet and do some testing myself.Only problem is I need a new supply of pigeons as ive exterminated my locals (must be a head shot or theyll flap like buggery).I know there will be a lot of variables especially as to the severity of the crap which of course is dependant on what the buggers have eaten.Ive suffered the damage from bird crap, lime trees(my last b7 supaguarded burnt straight through requiring a visit to the paint shop) and fly squash, and so far have found that my bonnet which was done with blackfire/blackfire midnight sun wax is less resistant than standard collinite.So even to satisfy myself its worth it, cos ill be damned if im going to drive it with its cover on.I blame the water based paint and lacquer.

Would be hard to do any sort of testing mate. I have had bird guts all over the car and they have been there for a couple of days and all washed off no problem. Like I stated in the original post, my car was washed and polished the day before and the bird ***** was only on there for a couple of hours. Like you said it depends on what bird ***** it is, what the winged rat has ate and most importantly what the weather is doing at the time. If its a very hot day the concentration of the Uric acid will increase dramatically....and thats where the problems occur. Vinyl Wrap is the way forward me thinks LOL

Fair comment Mac, looks like mass extermination is the only answer!!.Ill move up a gear.Its shotgun time!:rockwoot:

Thats an idea.They land on my shed where i pick em off......ok so I could get two at a time with the gun but id need tooo many new sheds!!

Hey Rich, I have just been subject to a dirty protest just below the rear window of my black S3. Unfortunately i work offshore and was forced to leave it in a car park for a 2 week period. I dont exactly the protest took place but what i'm reading below is worrying... I am not blessed with the rotary polishing equipment the text below seems to indicate i will require to remove this blot on an otherwise clean example of the S3. What does polished bliss offer in the way of one off repairs?? or what can you advise?? Any comment appreciated

Hey Rich, I have just been subject to a dirty protest just below the rear window of my black S3. Unfortunately i work offshore and was forced to leave it in a car park for a 2 week period. I dont exactly the protest took place but what i'm reading below is worrying... I am not blessed with the rotary polishing equipment the text below seems to indicate i will require to remove this blot on an otherwise clean example of the S3. What does polished bliss offer in the way of one off repairs?? or what can you advise?? Any comment appreciated

Where do you live mate?

I live just outside Stirling but work out of Aberdeen so i'm up there every so often.

It would be best to swing by with the car for us to inspect the damage with you; we don't generally offer small ad hoc repairs like this (simply because we are fully booked 4-5 months ahead at all times) but if you pop in past we can take a look and try to work out if anything can be fitted in. :icon_thumright:

Found this at the bottom of my garden.No idea who or what is responsible, but it gets my vote.One less shitter.Together with my air rifle, Ill create a pigeon free england!

IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited: