Bilstein B12 suspension kit (TDi quattro) short review

Adam916

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just a quick review (if you can understand my ramblings) on my suspension kit a few weeks after having it fitted.

Bilstein B8 dampers combined with Eibach pro kit springs (B12 kit)

Done roughly 1200 miles on it since having it fitted including a trip from the West Midlands down to Minehead in somerset, a good mixture of motorway and twisty A and B roads. I have to say I love it compared to very worn, standard suspension lol.

On a serious note I've been in a 14 plate FWD A3 Sline recently with 27000 on the clock and mine feels so much smoother and everything feels a lot tighter through hard cornering (I do a fair bit of that too :) ) the car feels flatter with massively reduced roll compared to the crap that came off the car. Don't know if anyone will understand this but the car also feels less 'crashy' over pot holes/speed humps and rough roads. Such an improvement and put mine next to 90% of other Sline's around the same age and you won't tell the difference, on paper mine should be 10mm lower than a standard Sline but most of them around the same age as mine are running worn springs/dampers and naturally sit lower as mine did before I had the kit fitted.

So on the whole I can't fault it...for what I wanted/expected from it. I needed to keep it practical though lol, my driveway isn't lowered car friendly, the whole area isn't lowered car friendly to be honest as the amount of and size of the speed bumps is ridiculous lol. I also go fishing a lot and had my two mates plus all our gear in the car on Saturday on "roads" an Sline should never have to see, it more than coped.

If you don't do anything like that and want a bigger drop you can buy the kit with the Eibach sportline springs (red instead of black). I think they give roughly a 30mm drop on the Sline but don't quote me on that.

Hope you're still with me after all of that :)

Reactions: Baka, Cambaines and Jake 61
A good review, pretty much what I found when I fitted the B12 pro kit on my A4. Very much improved body control with a firmer ride but the valveing on the shocks is very good so it doesn't crash on pot holes, drains etc. Also as you say the car remains fully useable when it carrying weight you can still negotiate speed bumps etc.

Reactions: Adam916
Nice review, thanks.

Good review. I had the same kit fitted a couple of weeks ago and I would agree with everything you've said. It's not super low but its a good trade off between low(er) and practical. Having said that when I see pics of cars with the Sportlines there is a part of me that wouldn't mind another 10mm