Facelift BIL11 85 Audi RS3 Build

Well today has been a disaster. After having my car for about 3 hours I got a phone call saying they are having difficulty with the programming. Every facelift RS3 they have had so far has had programme 02. Mines has got 03 which they have never seen before. They’ve told me that they need to get hold of Audi to get the new software but said it’s not a case of just phoning Audi and asking for it as they wouldn’t do that. So I’ve no idea what he meant. How is he meant to get it then. He said he’ll have it by the end of the day so my car will be ready by 1pm tomorrow. How successful do you think they will be?

They said they will give me discount but I’ve had to pay £100 for hotel and my girlfriend was with me but has work tomorrow so just had to pay £100 for her to get a 7 hour train journey home herself which is annoyed me most.

Sorry to hear, i am always careful when client is comming for Revo from far away so i ask VIN or if he has someone to read ECU number so i am prepared. Probably problem is stock file update which they dont have map adjusted to and need to wait stock file (version from car ) to be able to build map

I hope u will solve tomorrow

Reactions: billymc92
So from them saying they will have it by end of the day (5pm) they still don’t have it. But APPARENTLY they will get it in the morning. I’ll give them till lunch time which is my hotel check out time and if nothing I guess I’ll just be taking a huge loss and heading home with my 400 horses

Reactions: Kristijan Sabljar
So from them saying they will have it by end of the day (5pm) they still don’t have it. But APPARENTLY they will get it in the morning. I’ll give them till lunch time which is my hotel check out time and if nothing I guess I’ll just be taking a huge loss and heading home with my 400 horses
Have they suggested if they're going to do you a big discount for your troubles?

So disappointing :( Judging by the reputation MRC have, I’d expect better and a good offer of compensation. Why did you have to pay for this hotel in the first place is my question?

Try to stay positive even in light of the disappointing day, give them the benefit of the doubt and hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow and forgotten as you blast home

Have they suggested if they're going to do you a big discount for your troubles?

Yeah they said I would but I can’t see it being more than I’ve just had to pay for hotel and train ticket which is £200. So doubt I’ll be any better off and it’s a extra day I’ve spent of my time stranded in a hotel room alone

So disappointing :( Judging by the reputation MRC have, I’d expect better and a good offer of compensation. Why did you have to pay for this hotel in the first place is my question?

I’ve no idea. They honestly didn’t sound to sorry or helpful when I went in

Hopefully tomorrow I have better news and I’m not driving home in a standard car. I’m definitely not staying another day if they ask as they could just keep saying “1 more day” and before I know it I’ve been here for 4 nights

I’ve no idea. They honestly didn’t sound to sorry or helpful when I went in
Ben in the office is very much a "computer says no" type of character. But Doug is one of the best in the business so hang in there.

Reactions: billymc92, PanamaS3, Beebee-one and 1 other person
Hope you are getting better news this morning billymc92?:thumbs up:

Reactions: billymc92
I have a feeling you'll be in for a long day today but will get the car back today at some point.

This is the risk you take with being a guinea pig. The exact same thing has happened to me before but it's just one of those things, it's not MRC's fault, they could not possibly have known what software state your ecu would be in prior to your arrival. I remember they were tuning my TTRS and Mihnea stayed in all night tuning it, (So did I in the waiting room) he eventually released the car to me at 0130 before I headed off home. Yes 1:30am, he had been tuning it all day from around 1pm and kept on going and going and going to the map was at its best.

The car did go on to break Stage 2 1/4 mile records though and I believe it still stands today 6yrs later.

Hopefully you do get it back today at some point though but I would be surprised if it was ready by 1pm especially if Audi have added in any extra security measures or obstacles to overcome.

Reactions: billymc92 and AudiNutta
Phoned 30 minutes ago and the reception girl says “I believe it’s on the dyno just now”
Doug must have got a solution. I’m so excited :smilingimp::smilingimp:

Reactions: Jefecito and FBF01
Phoned 30 minutes ago and the reception girl says “I believe it’s on the dyno just now”
Doug must have got a solution. I’m so excited :smilingimp::smilingimp:
Be sure to stop by Stratford-upon-Avon on your way home for a beer...would love to see it! ;)

Reactions: FBF01, billymc92 and AudiNutta
sounding positive!:racer:

Reactions: AudiNutta and billymc92
My friend had a similar experience with his PFL 8V when it was tuned to stage 2. Mihnea was in at Banbury and was on the dyno all day fine tuning his car. Eventually finished at 7.10pm. When my friend called me during the day and said he was getting annoyed at it taking so long and then said 'some bloke with a weird name' was tuning his car and not Doug. When he spelt it out who it was I very jealous. The end result was a sublime and super smooth torquey map that would do fast and consistent 11.6sec 1/4 miles one after the other.

Reactions: AudiNutta and billymc92
6C172AE3 335D 4132 ACAC AB18C7473658

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Jefecito, Kristijan Sabljar and 5 others
I went to 4 petrol stations to try use a pressure washer before arriving. All of them only had a car wash which is a big NO NO

That is a very good shout, car wash like brillo on paint work :frown new:

I take it you never got away at 1pm then? Getting away anytime now is an absolute nightmare traffic wise as the M6 around Birmingham and all the way up to Lancaster is chock-a-block between 4 and 8ish. There's nothing worse than waiting all day on the car only to be stuck in huge amounts of traffic around Birmingham with a huge journey in front of you to go. Last time I was there, it took me 5hrs to get from Banbury to just north of Lancaster and my eyes were dropping, I had no choice but to stop and stay over in a Travelodge before heading on my way again early morning.

MRC is a bit of a nightmare journey, with Doug being Scottish you think he would open a 2nd MRC business somewhere up north.

Reactions: FBF01
I take it you never got away at 1pm then? Getting away anytime now is an absolute nightmare traffic wise as the M6 around Birmingham and all the way up to Lancaster is chock-a-block between 4 and 8ish. There's nothing worse than waiting all day on the car only to be stuck in huge amounts of traffic around Birmingham with a huge journey in front of you to go. Last time I was there, it took me 5hrs to get from Banbury to just north of Lancaster and my eyes were dropping, I had no choice but to stop and stay over in a Travelodge before heading on my way again early morning.

MRC is a bit of a nightmare journey, with Doug being Scottish you think he would open a 2nd MRC business somewhere up north.

I’m still sat here now. He said at 2 it would only be another hour. I’m dreading the ******* drive home!

Reactions: AudiNutta
I’m still sat here now. He said at 2 it would only be another hour. I’m dreading the ******* drive home!

I would seriously consider stopping over at Travelodge Lancaster M6 Services for the night or you may never make it back to Scotland (About £40-45 per night). You'll already be shattered waiting around at MRC all day, then you'll have a minimum of a 7hr journey home at this time of day.

You will see what I mean when you hit Birmingham and then up past Manchester rush hour. Also use the M6 toll if you can to save at least half an hour.

I've done it a few times now mate and its absolute torture. I'm a bit further than you, Banbury - Dundee.

Any idea on the figures they have managed yet? Surely must be 500+?

Last edited:
I'm fascinated to see what you get charged for all the hassle, albeit not all their fault.

Reactions: Phil3
Still here :rage::openmouth: he’s been out on a test run. Sounds like the pops and bangs are back again.

Unfortunately the stage 2 hardware has got him the same gains as stage 1 so it’s less than he expected. ****** typical.

I was hoping this wait was gonna make it even better but I don’t get that sort of luck.

He said off the top of his head it’s got 512PS and 715nm

I’ll update use more After my 350mile journey in rush hour traffic.

Hopefully be away from here in the next half an hour!

Better get a good discount for all this hassle!

Reactions: Jefecito, JamesCrs3, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Still here :rage::openmouth: he’s been out on a test run. Sounds like the pops and bangs are back again.

Unfortunately the stage 2 hardware has got him the same gains as stage 1 so it’s less than he expected. ****** typical.

I was hoping this wait was gonna make it even better but I don’t get that sort of luck.

He said off the top of his head it’s got 512PS and 715nm

I’ll update use more After my 350mile journey in rush hour traffic.

Hopefully be away from here in the next half an hour!

Better get a good discount for all this hassle!
What mods you got again? Has he done a before and after? Has he said what stopping getting abit more power but stage one is about 480bhp so stage 2 would only be 520 ish full exhaust should see 530-540bhp any more I’d say turbo is needed.

Stage 1 cars are only getting 470-475ps at MRC at the moment so if yours is banging out 512, then that’s a good 35-40ps over Stage 1.

Also, 530ps would probably be your max on 99 octane anyway. A little bit lower than expected but not a huge amount. May just be a staler batch of 99. You’re a guinea pig aswell, they usually find more gains later on down the line.

Doubt you will get much discount as you were already getting a deal on the engine and gearbox map were you not? Maybe £100, maybe £200 because you’ve been there all that time.

Reactions: JamesCrs3
Well 512ps and 715nm is not too bad and is a decent step up on stage 1 numbers. Should be an interesting drive home!
I bet with some decent fuel (use Tesco 99) and a bit more time tweaking the map, it would get close to the 520/530 you were expecting (on pump fuel anyway).

How's the car then Billy? What were the final figures, did you get your dyno plots?

So here it is. Quite shocked that the car before the map with the Forge intercooler, Milltek decat downpipe and Eventuri intake only got 409.8ps.

E3EF77F5 18B7 4C43 B3FC DBD82BBB2EF8

So the car is at 512ps and 710nm and if you thought that car was fast before your in for a shock. My whole body was shaking from adrenaline :tearsofjoy:

Half way home the police were doing a rolling road block at 15mph for about 20 minutes for some reason and I was at the front so as soon as they moved I had about 35 miles of 3 lane road to myself until I caught back up with the traffic. You can only imagine the amount of fun I had :sunglasses:

MRC ended up only giving me £100 discount which I thought was pretty shocking considering it had cost me £200+ to stay and it was a extra 29 hours of my time. Doug says he has got a few videos of the rolling road so as soon as he emails me them I will upload them.

I treated myself to launch control #5 on my way home.

Reactions: Rhyso, JamesCrs3, FBF01 and 3 others
Wow, impressive numbers Bill, you must be pretty chuffed.
I reckon you soaked up those 35 miles somewhat rapidly :hubbahubba:

Reactions: billymc92 and AudiNutta
Nice one Billy, looks quick.

£100 is better than a kick in the balls and I believe you got a deal on the engine and gearbox map anyway so discount quite a bit more than £100 off their full retail cost.

Yes, the advertised gains on modifications never amount up to anything on a standard car. Talk of 20hp from the Forge cooler + 20hp from the intake + 20hp from the downpipe never end up performing like that. Going through MRC's previous TTRS/RS3 facelift plots, the cars are making 395-400ps bang on the money so your mods are making 15hp max on the standard car. On the Stage 2 car though, a good 35hp jump over Stage 1 going by the Stage 1 figures they are posting for other cars.

I suspect MRC will find more horsepower later on down the line with this engine.

Reactions: billymc92 and NevMan
So here it is. Quite shocked that the car before the map with the Forge intercooler, Milltek decat downpipe and Eventuri intake only got 409.8ps.

View attachment 149106

So the car is at 512ps and 710nm and if you thought that car was fast before your in for a shock. My whole body was shaking from adrenaline :tearsofjoy:

Half way home the police were doing a rolling road block at 15mph for about 20 minutes for some reason and I was at the front so as soon as they moved I had about 35 miles of 3 lane road to myself until I caught back up with the traffic. You can only imagine the amount of fun I had :sunglasses:

MRC ended up only giving me £100 discount which I thought was pretty shocking considering it had cost me £200+ to stay and it was a extra 29 hours of my time. Doug says he has got a few videos of the rolling road so as soon as he emails me them I will upload them.

I treated myself to launch control #5 on my way home.

Did they say they could get more if you changed something? Eg full exhaust or more fuelling.

Stage 1 is "always" the best bang for your buck. After that it is diminishing returns and big / bigger bucks. Always been that way :yes:

TX.

Edit - tbf it is almost 70hp up on a PFL in same state of tune so happy days surely ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: billymc92 and NevMan
Pleased for you @billymc92

Having experienced 'just' a stage 1 tune on a PFL, I can say how much difference a remap makes, so can believe you when you say how fast it must feel!

409ps as standard is ok. Bear in mind the car has to be properly tuned to take advantage of your mods. And I'm sure it still needs some running in. I'd be pleased with 512ps and 700+nm of torque!

Edit: just watched the LC video. It's about 14 very rough seconds to get to nearly 150mph...mega!

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin Whitehouse, Jefecito, billymc92 and 1 other person
Fantastic results Billy. The extra 169nm torque must feel like a huge improvement. :icon thumright: The fact that you have lost nothing anywhere is amazing. You wouldn't believe the time, effort & money expended to get similar, but much less driveable, results out of a 2.5 Impreza.

Did MRC have any comments on the hardware you had fitted? I'm mainly asking about the air intake but any information would be interesting.

Reactions: NevMan
Fantastic results Billy. The extra 169nm torque must feel like a huge improvement. You wouldn't believe the time, effort & money expended to get similar, but much less driveable, results out of a 2.5 Impreza.
This to me proves how much Audi have had to wind back the power on these engines so as to not tread on the R8's shoes.

Further edit: the standard torque figure of 541nm... the FL cars I've seen seem to be comfortably eclipsing the supposed 480nm standard figure. @AudiNutta recall yours was similar.

I might get mine on a rolling road to see what it does.

Reactions: AudiNutta, T-800 and billymc92
Great results.

But less torque than standard until 3500rpm. Is there anything proven on the market that can increase low down toruque/power?