Bikes (push).... Talk to me.

S3 Rav

Reaction score
Right guys,

Have been thinking for a while now about buying a push bike to ride to work couple times a week. The journey will be about 12-13 miles each way. One problem though, I know nothing about bikes. I don't want to be spending stupid money but indont mind spending money on quality if that makes sense. Looking at max £300 I think. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks. Rav.

£300 isn't very much in honesty. You'd of course get more for your money buying secondhand, but unless you have some knowledge you could get easily stung.

I'd have a look at a local bike shop, probably not Halfords unless you take someone with knowledge with you, as the staff should be able to give you some better advice. My wife bought a Giant Roam last year, just over £300 and it's really nice. You want an aluminium frame as it will be so much lighter than a steel one, and I'd suggest V Brakes over cable discs, but thats about the only choice you'd get at that price point really.

Just some ideas for you:

Hybrid Bikes | Commuter Bike | Evans Cycles

I picked up a Giant Escape 4 last autumn for about £350. A fairly basic hybrid, but pretty durable.

Bike have progressed a long way over the last few years. As others have said though £300 isn't a big budget at all. When I built my hack back in '94 I blew well over a grand on it.

PICT0912.jpg

Used to have Cook Bros cranks on it but a sticky fingered scumbag decided they needed them more than me :(

Stick to V brakes over discs as they will be cable at this price range and they're not all that good. 2nd hand is a great option but you'll need a idea of what you're looking at

I am well in to mountain biking. I went and got myself a Specialized Rockhopper. £600 is a little steep (not compared to the £5000 bikes). However I couldnt have spent my money any better! It is a superb bike. For £300 these days even in Halfords you cant get hydraulic brakes. Bikes are very steep. Look at a specialized rockhopper. Trust me.. you wont be disappointed.

The pictures don't do the orange justice. The orange is really bright.. I pass very few people that don't turn around for a second look. They are available in many different specs. Mine is the basic but however it still handles one of the most difficult mountain biking trails in Wales. A trail that people buy £3500 bikes for and they still manage to break them. 570 miles into mine and still needed nothing more than a set of tyres and a service.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Here is a few pictures of mine:

Bike as standard:

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

After I added about £50 worth of odd little bits just to make it stand out a little more:

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

If your commute is road only, consider a hybrid or road bike. The smoother tyres are a huge advantage. I used to commute on my mountain bike, but now I keep that for fun only and commute on a road bike (but with flat handle bars).