Biggest rims fitted with stock suspension - A3

y15usf

Reaction score
I have been looking around to get some new rims soon and I have been looking at getting bigger rims than my stock 17-inch ones.

My current preference has been 19-inch rims and from messuring, it looks like it should fit with good clearance.

I wanted to know if anyone has had issues with 19-inch rims hitting the body and if I should stick to smaller rims or go bigger. (Pros & Cons)

On top of that, I wanted to know if I could fit 20-inch or even 21-inch rims or would that be too checky?

Will the bigger rims fit on easily or will the hubs need to be changed?

I am looking at getting my suspension raised soon, and I was going to get the rims and raise together, but my tires are starting to bold so might as well get the rims now.

Y15USF

Raise your suspension and fit 20’s the car will look stupid.

Stick to 18”s but get your dsg sorted first.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Raise your suspension and fit 20’s the car will look stupid.

Stick to 18”s but get your dsg sorted first.

That what everyone has been saying but I mean has anyone actually seen a raised A3 - S3 to make that call.

The idea of raising my car came into my head when I jacked my car and my suspension raised, it looks really good in my opinion I cant lie.

My friend did a photoshop as well so he could understand what it would look like and he also said it looks good.

I'll see if I can get that photoshopped picture and post it on here.

Also TBH my DSG is fine, never goes wrong in manual mode and only shifts late in drive mode.

No clutch slip, misgearing or anything like that.

Re. Your dsg.

It isn’t fine. I will function in man. because you control the shift.

If it isn’t behaving in auto then there is an issue and by just using manual you are ignoring the root cause.

Once the metatronics unit fails unless you can find a suitable replacement that is working correctly you may as well write the car off. A new unit is circa 2k iirc. It may be that you are just not used to how they drive and it is functioning correctly.

Spend your money wisely and make sure the dsg is as it should be and do any necessary work, otherwise all other work will be pointless and wasted.

The ride would be terrible on 20’s btw and I doubt they’d fit without any significant arch work.

Re. Your dsg.

It isn’t fine. I will function in man. because you control the shift.

If it isn’t behaving in auto then there is an issue and by just using manual you are ignoring the root cause.

Once the metatronics unit fails unless you can find a suitable replacement that is working correctly you may as well write the car off. A new unit is circa 2k iirc. It may be that you are just not used to how they drive and it is functioning correctly.

Spend your money wisely and make sure the dsg is as it should be and do any necessary work, otherwise all other work will be pointless and wasted.

The ride would be terrible on 20’s btw and I doubt they’d fit without any significant arch work.

Hey, man thanks I appreciate your concern, I think I was a bit savage on the other thread so apologies buddy.

I think there is a possible remap on the gearbox rather than a faulty mech.

The guy I bought the car off didn't tell me anything.

I think it might be the fact I'm not used to how they drive.

Like when I'm driving around 20 MPH my car will be in gear 2? is this normal for S-Tronic.

Plus ill probably stick to 19s I think 20 would be too much hassle.

In auto the dsg will try to get into 6th ASAP. Mine will do 30 in 6th.

You may have some jerkiness pulling away and between 1 and 2. Common issue. If you are in auto and the box is holding gears before changing then you are right, it may have had a map.

It will change just before the redline in sport.

What car is it? I’ve only ever heard of really tuned s3’s having a map done.

In auto the dsg will try to get into 6th ASAP. Mine will do 30 in 6th.

You may have some jerkiness pulling away and between 1 and 2. Common issue. If you are in auto and the box is holding gears before changing then you are right, it may have had a map.

It will change just before the redline in sport.

What car is it? I’ve only ever heard of really tuned s3’s having a map done.

That is exactly what it is, it loves to hold gears even in the normal drive mode.

It's an Audi a3, I bought the car with an induction kit and the engine remap. Possibly other mods that I ain't aware of.

No paperwork to prove it but no other 2.0L a3 feels the same or pulls like this.

I am going to dyno the car soon to understand exactly what map it's at and the bhp figures.

I only remember that my car holds at 2 on 20mph and I think gear 3/4 at 30mph.

Never had the car miss a gear on auto or anything like that, just holds it till late.