BigBill's Carbon Black MY19 G01 BMW X3 M40i

BigBill

Reaction score
Hi Bill
Absolutely loving the car thanks. The sound is incredible and the tech is endless. The sound system is fantastic too.
I’m getting around the 30 mpg on average but didn’t buy it for economy tbh.
The space, both inside the car and the boot, is great. It’d be ideal for the dogs. Our wee fella just goes on the back seat tbh but two cockers might be better in the boot with the cover retracted.
The one you’re looking at sounds like it has the three main ‘packs’ which is good.
One thing to watch, if the wheel size is important to you (it was to me), is that some cars were pre-specced with 20 inch wheels despite the M Performance pack coming with 21’s. The 21’s make a difference to appearance imho and they’re not uncomfortable despite run flats being fitted.
I take full responsibility for you changing haha!

Thanks for the feedback, good info there. it comes with 21 inch Bridgestones run-flats fitted. Glad to hear they're not uncomfortable as that was one of my concerns
Spec as follows -
Extra features
These are in addition to what this car typically comes with as standard:
  • Adaptive M Sport suspension
  • 21" RFT Cerium Grey 718 M double-spoke w
  • Display Key
  • Acoustic glazing
  • Comfort Access
  • Sun protection glass
  • Ext. mirrors- folding with anti-dazzle
  • Rear Seat Backrest Adjustment
  • Extended storage
  • Enhanced Bluetooth- wireless charging
  • BMW Gesture Control
  • WiFi hotspot preparation
  • Head-up Display
  • harman kardon loudspeaker system
  • Comfort package
  • M Sport Plus package
  • Technology package
This car comes with
  • RDE exhaust emissions standard
  • M Sport braking system
  • Sport automatic transmission
  • M sport differential
  • Performance Control
  • Variable sport steering
  • Run-flat tyres
  • Roof rails. High-gloss Shadowline
  • Alarm system (Thatcham 1)
  • Instrument panel in Sensatec
  • Aluminium Rhombicle trim- Pearl Chrome
  • Ambient lighting
  • Rear-view mirror. auto dimming
  • Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
  • Sport seats
  • Heated front seats
  • High-beam Assistant
  • Active Guard
  • LED foglights. front
  • Parking Assistant
  • Automatic Air Conditioning
  • BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights
  • BMW Emergency call
  • BMW TeleServices
  • BMW Online Services
  • Real Time Traffic Information
  • Remote Services
  • Digital Cockpit
  • Navigation system Professional
  • Single-Disc CD Player
  • DAB digital radio
  • M aerodynamic bodystyling
  • Exterior trim. High-gloss Shadowline
  • Headlining. Anthracite
  • Active Pedestrian Safety
Still a bit apart on the deal but almost there!
The cockers were on the back seat in a hammock but the new one has mastered the art of eating through seatbelts (dogs belts, not the cars) so the boot is the only place for them

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
@BigBill - Good luck buddy - keep us all informed :thumbs up:

Reactions: BigBill, Audi Bairn and NevMan
2nd that BigBill, reckon you will
Love the drive, so....welcome to the club

019128a3d2a4f081ee654cf8b1a1a33e.jpg

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Bristle Hound, BarryG79 and 2 others
Thanks for the feedback, good info there. it comes with 21 inch Bridgestones run-flats fitted. Glad to hear they're not uncomfortable as that was one of my concerns
Spec as follows -
Extra features
  • Display Key
  • Acoustic glazing
  • Comfort Access
  • Sun protection glass
  • Extended storage
  • BMW Gesture Control
  • Head-up Display
  • Comfort package
  • M Sport Plus package
  • Technology package
This car comes with
  • M Sport braking system
  • M sport differential
  • Performance Control
  • Run-flat tyres
  • Ambient lighting
  • Sport seats
  • Heated front seats
  • High-beam Assistant
  • Active Guard
  • LED foglights. front
  • Parking Assistant
  • BMW Emergency call
  • BMW TeleServices
  • BMW Online Services
  • Remote Services
  • Digital Cockpit
  • Single-Disc CD Player
  • DAB digital radio
  • Headlining. Anthracite
The cockers were on the back seat in a hammock but the new one has mastered the art of eating through seatbelts (dogs belts, not the cars) so the boot is the only place for them

Nice spec there What colour?

Reactions: Pinky1959 and Audi Bairn
Spec as follows -
Extra features
  • Display Key
  • Acoustic glazing
  • Comfort Access
  • Sun protection glass
  • Extended storage
  • BMW Gesture Control
  • Head-up Display
  • Comfort package
  • M Sport Plus package
  • Technology package
This car comes with
  • M Sport braking system
  • M sport differential
  • Performance Control
  • Run-flat tyres
  • Ambient lighting
  • Sport seats
  • Heated front seats
  • High-beam Assistant
  • Active Guard
  • LED foglights. front
  • Parking Assistant
  • BMW Emergency call
  • BMW TeleServices
  • BMW Online Services
  • Remote Services
  • Digital Cockpit
  • Single-Disc CD Player
  • DAB digital radio
  • Headlining. Anthracite

Nice one Bill!
Spec looks almost identical to mine. Only thing I've had retro fitted is a detachable towbar / electrics.
The deals in December were amazing - not sure what they're like now though.
What colour is it?
The initial one I "bought" was black but ended up in a Sophisto Grey which I love (long story, but you've probably read about it on here).
Do keep us up to date with progress.

Reactions: NevMan
Nice spec there What colour?

Like yours it's an MY19 model in carbon black. It looks like an amazing colour going by the pictures of yours on your thread

The only thing worrying me (and it could yet be a game changer) is the oyster (creme) interior. I'll need to see it in the flesh before making a final decision.

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan and Audi Bairn
Nice one Bill!
Spec looks almost identical to mine. Only thing I've had retro fitted is a detachable towbar / electrics.
The deals in December were amazing - not sure what they're like now though.
What colour is it?
The initial one I "bought" was black but ended up in a Sophisto Grey which I love (long story, but you've probably read about it on here).
Do keep us up to date with progress.

I didn't want to go the pcp route so looked for used and went for this one which 11 months old so an MY19 model although the 'product consultant' in one of the main dealers in Glasgow argued with me that there was no such thing as an MY20 model and there was no way that there was an update in September 19 :unamused:.

Deal has now been agreed subject to all going well when I see and drive the car on Saturday. This was helped by taking the £700 back off the price which had mysteriously been added on for GAP and paint/interior protection and another chunk taken off the price by the dealer.
I'm sure that no-one would pay anywhere full price for one (I put the spec into the configurator earlier and it came back at a few hundred pounds under £60k :fearscream:) but I'm pretty happy at the deal I have in place so it's all down to what I find on Saturday

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I didn't want to go the pcp route so looked for used and went for this one which 11 months old so an MY19 model although the 'product consultant' in one of the main dealers in Glasgow argued with me that there was no such thing as an MY20 model and there was no way that there was an update in September 19 :unamused:.

Deal has now been agreed subject to all going well when I see and drive the car on Saturday. This was helped by taking the £700 back off the price which had mysteriously been added on for GAP and paint/interior protection and another chunk taken off the price by the dealer.
I'm sure that no-one would pay anywhere full price for one (I put the spec into the configurator earlier and it came back at a few hundred pounds under £60k :fearscream:) but I'm pretty happy at the deal I have in place so it's all down to what I find on Saturday

No 2020 Model, that’s unreal. Just show him a pic of mine :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, it’s about a £60k car but nobody I know will have paid anywhere near that.

Post some pics along with your thoughts on the test drive :thumbs up:

Like yours it's an MY19 model in carbon black. It looks like an amazing colour going by the pictures of yours on your thread

The only thing worrying me (and it could yet be a game changer) is the oyster (creme) interior. I'll need to see it in the flesh before making a final decision.

Nice one BigBill. Top colour, but needs work to keep clean . Oyster should look good against the dark colour

Reactions: Audi Bairn
No 2020 Model, that’s unreal. Just show him a pic of mine :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, it’s about a £60k car but nobody I know will have paid anywhere near that.

Post some pics along with your thoughts on the test drive :thumbs up:

Just arrived home after a long, trying day! Car was in Carlisle so over 3 hours drive down this morning. Everything was set up so I could take the car home today if all went to plan. Car looked fab, great colour outside and inside, everything was good, and I could see why everyone on here was so positive about them. Prior to signing the paperwork the salesman went to look at my car so I thought I would have another, more detailed look around the X3 only to spot numerous (maybe about a dozen) tiny stone chips across the bonnet! When I pointed this out he told me that was to be expected on an 11 month old car as did the used sales manager when he was called. I was the told that I only noticed them as the car was now inside under bright lights and I wouldn't notice them when the car was outside in natural light. They both thought it was acceptable to present a £38k car with stone chips on the bonnet. I didn't and told them I wouldn't buy any car presented like that, especially at that price.
I then started the journey home in some of the worst driving conditions I've ever encountered. There was two accidents within a mile of each other on the A74 and I had several scary aquaplaning moments made worse as I had taken the winter tyres off yesterday and changed back to the summers in preparation for the expected sale. I headed for Audi Edinburgh where I had a back up option of a Q3 Vorsprung which was a lovely car with just about every option and also had a look at a 2 week old Q5 s-line. They were both very nice but without the 'wow' factor of the X3 (and the sound).
I'm waiting for the BMW garage to get back to me to tell me what they can do but the rest of the car looked immaculate so really disappointing. They have already verbally offered to respray the entire bonnet and arrange delivery so I don't have to make the journey again but I want that confirmed along with timescales.

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Just arrived home after a long, trying day! Car was in Carlisle so over 3 hours drive down this morning. Everything was set up so I could take the car home today if all went to plan. Car looked fab, great colour outside and inside, everything was good, and I could see why everyone on here was so positive about them. Prior to signing the paperwork the salesman went to look at my car so I thought I would have another, more detailed look around the X3 only to spot numerous (maybe about a dozen) tiny stone chips across the bonnet! When I pointed this out he told me that was to be expected on an 11 month old car as did the used sales manager when he was called. I was the told that I only noticed them as the car was now inside under bright lights and I wouldn't notice them when the car was outside in natural light. They both thought it was acceptable to present a £38k car with stone chips on the bonnet. I didn't and told them I wouldn't buy any car presented like that, especially at that price.
I then started the journey home in some of the worst driving conditions I've ever encountered. There was two accidents within a mile of each other on the A74 and I had several scary aquaplaning moments made worse as I had taken the winter tyres off yesterday and changed back to the summers in preparation for the expected sale. I headed for Audi Edinburgh where I had a back up option of a Q3 Vorsprung which was a lovely car with just about every option and also had a look at a 2 week old Q5 s-line. They were both very nice but without the 'wow' factor of the X3 (and the sound).
I'm waiting for the BMW garage to get back to me to tell me what they can do but the rest of the car looked immaculate so really disappointing. They have already verbally offered to respray the entire bonnet and arrange delivery so I don't have to make the journey again but I want that confirmed along with timescales.

That’s rubbish mate, can’t beat carbon black either. Hopefully they come good, think it’s the pick of the bunch personally. Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn
Some day you’ve had Bill, right enough!
Very disappointing to go all that way for this. Hopefully you get some thing sorted but remember there’s plenty more of them out there too. If you need a contact at Eastern BMW, let me know. My experience there was excellent. Just don’t touch Donald Parks at Stirling with a barge pole!
Glad you avoided any mishaps on the road too. The winds and the rain were awful but would be worse the further south you went I guess.

Reactions: BarryG79 and NevMan
That's bad that the car was in Carlisle and not Glasgow.
As for the stone chips and the sales persons attitude I would be looking somewhere else for one nearer home Edinburgh or Glasgow unless you really want this one then talk them into serious discount or freebies for the inconvenience of having to wait.
Have you looked anywhere else since you got home ?

Audi Bairn_
The van and car are a good match, You realise the van will need the same amount of detailing as the car got before you use it , so they both bead superbly.

Hi Pinky, hope you are well and still on radio duties, maybe catch up with you on a rally later in the year, I see there is a closed road event planned for down your way in July.
I've had a look about closer to home but they seem to be a pretty rare as a used car, there are very few about - only 3 on Autotrader within a 200 mile radius of here and none have the same spec or colour combination as the car I viewed in Carlisle so I think I will go ahead once/if they get it to an acceptable standard.

Hi Bill
Yes still doing motor rally safety radios when I get time , The Coast to Coast is based in Stranraer and I will be there.
The Argyll has been cancelled so just the Scottish and Galloway Hills for me locally.
I am really jealous the car sounds amazing and they better do a good job of fixing it and you should maybe consider traveling down again to see it repaired before they deliver it ,I would unless they get it sorted nearer you .
Do you know what garage is painting it ?
Hopefully meet you at a rally soon , Will you be requesting stage starts of finishes so you don't have to take the beast through stages when the event has finished ?
Hope they get it done quickly for you.
Remember the photos

Reactions: NevMan and BigBill
Big Bill, Any word on when you will be collecting the car ?

Car is all ready and I’ve arranged to pick it up first thing on Saturday morning.
Plenty time to get used to it on the 160 mile trip home and hopefully no storm Dennis to navigate through after last weeks journey from hell

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Audi Bairn, BarryG79 and 2 others
Car is all ready and I’ve arranged to pick it up first thing on Saturday morning.
Plenty time to get used to it on the 160 mile trip home and hopefully no storm Dennis to navigate through after last weeks journey from hell
@BigBill - Good luck on collection day :thumbs up:
Don't for get, plenty of pics on collection day for your new thread

Reactions: Pinky1959, Snake Pliskin and Audi Bairn
Well that will be a nice run back home , I hope they are filling to the brim for you for the inconvenience .
I hope they have dione a really good job of it for you .
Enjoy it and remember the photos and watch for plod on the motorway …….So 65 mph max ! ! !

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Nice one!
Looking forward to Big Bills X3 M40i thread come Saturday :yes::thumbs up:
Safe trip. Unfortunately we’ve to get another weekend of it but the consolation is that the X3 ploughs through it no bother.

Reactions: Pinky1959, Snake Pliskin and Bristle Hound
@BigBill - Good luck on collection day :thumbs up:
Don't for get, plenty of pics on collection day for your new thread

Car was looking better today, they way it should have looked last week, and had a full tank of fuel and a rubber boot mat thrown in to make up for the extra journey.
Had a good chance to try the car out on the way home through the high wind, heavy rain, hail and snow. It certainly felt a lot safer and more stable than the journey down in the M140i.
Only down side was 37mpg on the way down and 27mpg on the way home

Attachments

• F5608B89-6B6C-4F4A-B091-F380C8CB88C2.jpeg
    F5608B89-6B6C-4F4A-B091-F380C8CB88C2.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 55A8004A-AB27-4E6B-B0CC-E48530EAA9E2.jpeg
    55A8004A-AB27-4E6B-B0CC-E48530EAA9E2.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 280
  • DA299A41-0495-4325-80EB-EC85C4281981.jpeg
    DA299A41-0495-4325-80EB-EC85C4281981.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 89206DB0-D5BA-4DDB-A547-65D1D6714A7E.jpeg
    89206DB0-D5BA-4DDB-A547-65D1D6714A7E.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: Bristle Hound, BarryG79, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Car was looking better today, they way it should have looked last week, and had a full tank of fuel and a rubber boot mat thrown in to make up for the extra journey.
Had a good chance to try the car out on the way home through the high wind, heavy rain, hail and snow. It certainly felt a lot safer and more stable than the journey down in the M140i.
Only down side was 37mpg on the way down and 27mpg on the way home
Pic's look great mate - Congrats on the new X3
Welcome aboard :thumbs up:

Reactions: BigBill