Big Turbo Suggestions!

Reaction score
Good Evening Chaps

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and Happy new year (Although its not quite new years just yet)

I'm in the market for going Big Turbo. 400whp range.
I was thinking of going Garrett GT3071R or GT3076R or perhaps even the G25-550. Perhaps the GT2871R however I haven't seen those been used a lot lately.

Thoughts?

I don't really fancy going MAD HP, I dont want to be grenading gearboxes every 500kms. If I can hit 400whp I'll be more than happy!

Bottom end will be fully forged as will the head. Will probs be running Big intake manifold with small port heads along with stock throttle body size and water/meth on 1000cc injectors. Would 400whp be doable?

Cheers guys
S.Pellegrino

Hi dude, 400whp / 460bhp is very doable on either of those turbos, I wouldn’t bother with a GT2871R.

Mainly depends on your budget, either way you’ll be wanting a V-Band top mount exhaust manifold, which will give you plenty of breathing room for what turbo you decide to go with. If I was you.... I’d look at maybe a G25-550. Very well tested over here by Badger5, they are the pro’s with regards to the build your considering.

If your budget can’t stretch to a G25-550 there will be more GT3076R’s available secondhand to buy. Just be careful, there are loads of fake copies out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is with a Garrett G25-550... You won't be disappointed

Sent from my CPH2023 using Tapatalk

Yeah I wouldn’t bother with the gt28 I’d go for the g25 series if budget allows it

Would a gt28 get 400whp/460hp?
Best would be the g25 Turbos and as @S3AMJ said be careful of 2nd hand ones on fb or ebay.

A GT2871R would probably get you to around 400bhp / 360whp possibly a little more, but it’ll be screaming to get there.

Thank you for the replies! Happy new year!

I've been using the 1.8T techinical section in the VWVortex forums BT threads as an idea and for browsing but most threads are over a decade old. Any automotive engineering has come a long way so its always nice to hear current day input.

Ill go G25-550 if I can, probably will and if not the GT3071R/GT3076R.

What are the main differences between those two? I heard spooling time. Around 500-1000rpm difference no?

Cheers
S.Pellegrino

Thank you for the replies! Happy new year!

I've been using the 1.8T techinical section in the VWVortex forums BT threads as an idea and for browsing but most threads are over a decade old. Any automotive engineering has come a long way so its always nice to hear current day input.

Ill go G25-550 if I can, probably will and if not the GT3071R/GT3076R.

What are the main differences between those two? I heard spooling time. Around 500-1000rpm difference no?

Cheers
S.Pellegrino

Between the GT3071R and GT3076R it’ll be marginal difference in spool, probably like you’ve mentioned 500-1000rpm. If I had a tight budget, out of those two turbos I’d go for the GT3076R