"Big" turbo for my S3

Paul_S3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get a new turbo for my S3 going for 350 bhp.

Plans are:

GT28RS
Manifold by APR or 034 Motorsport
Custom downpipe en sportcat.
Milltek resonated to keep the noise down.
New injectors
Sachs Clutch
Better fuell pump
New hoses all around
Customs remap

I getting it done by a well know Audi tuner in Holland.
Does anyone know how the sound will be and will it be much harder because of the new manifold and downpipe/sportcat?

Maybe I will go for other internals later and I can go up to 390 bhp with the GT28RS but for now 350 is good keeping the original internals.

Do you think this is a good list or would you change anything. Turbo perhaps.
It a lot of money but the fun getting of this will forgett it soon I hope.
Maybo someone has a acceleration video from the outside or fromthe tacho?

thanks a lot for your help

Im guessing with the resonator on the catback it would be fairly quiet but becasue of the cat and downpipe it will be quite basey!

If you are chasing nearly 400 bhp I wouldn't bother with a GT28RS, even the specs say its only got enough flow for 350bhp.

I would imagine you would be running a reasonable amount of boost to achieve that kinda power so I would consider changing the rods at least for piece of mind.

I would add a FMIC to your list too...

<tuffty/>

I don't know where my tuner is getting the exhaust manifold. Sorry for that.

he told me an FMIC was not needed for 350 HP and a GT28rs was good up to 390 HP. When going over 350 HP it would be better, also changing internals. S3 engine is tested by audi up to 350 hp and that's safe. Internals of an S3 are not the same as anormal 1.8T engine.

Any suggestions for the turbo. I do not want much turbo lag en I use my s3 as a daily. What's a reasonable price for the GT28RS turbo?

Exhaust with resonated miltek wouldn't be so loud accoring to the tuner.

At the moment I am having perforated discs with ferodo DS2500 performace brake pads (front and Back). Good enough for now.

Last edited:
When placing a FMIC I will do it by myself using the instructions here.
When cutting in the bumber to have the FMIC fitted behind the bumper, doesn't this negatively influence the stability of the front?

What should be a good price, because when I am looking on ebay I cannot find any good ones. What brand should it be and what is needed for fitment (pipes etc.) and is it included?

Its not bhp its torque that will kill the internals. Pistons/crank are fine as they are forged, rods are the weak point and high cylinder pressure will cause your engine to lunch itself at some point... yor choice... no brainer IMO...

I have a GT30 on mine and producing 380ish bhp at 1.7bar... I would be surprised if a GT28RS can get close...

A FMIC makes a world of difference on a remapped K04 as you are pretty much maxing its flow capacity and turning it into a heat pump. This is less of a case with a proper big turbo but the argument for having a FMIC is still valid. At some point the SMICs will heat soak and you WILL loose performance because of it... even if you are using it as a daily driver.

Don't expect K04 like spool on anything other than a K04, BT power delivery is totally different. Get the hotside right and it will still be a good daily driver. Mine is and was built with that in mind. Mine spools from around 3200k and is on it from 3800k ish...

<tuffty/>

When placing a FMIC I will do it by myself using the instructions here.
When cutting in the bumber to have the FMIC fitted behind the bumper, doesn't this negatively influence the stability of the front?

What should be a good price, because when I am looking on ebay I cannot find any good ones. What brand should it be and what is needed for fitment (pipes etc.) and is it included?

Look here for info on FMIC's for the S3...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75425

Cutting the bumper bar will not affect its ability to shrug off minor parking bumps as this is all its designed to do. If you are in an accident large enough to deform the bumper bar that much it will be the last thing to worry about.

<tuffty/>

0.63 or 0.62... can't remember exactly... its in the first post on my thread :)

<tuffty/>

How many NM's are you running?

Its not bhp its torque that will kill the internals. Pistons/crank are fine as they are forged, rods are the weak point and high cylinder pressure will cause your engine to lunch itself at some point... yor choice... no brainer IMO...

I have a GT30 on mine and producing 380ish bhp at 1.7bar... I would be surprised if a GT28RS can get close...

A FMIC makes a world of difference on a remapped K04 as you are pretty much maxing its flow capacity and turning it into a heat pump. This is less of a case with a proper big turbo but the argument for having a FMIC is still valid. At some point the SMICs will heat soak and you WILL loose performance because of it... even if you are using it as a daily driver.

Don't expect K04 like spool on anything other than a K04, BT power delivery is totally different. Get the hotside right and it will still be a good daily driver. Mine is and was built with that in mind. Mine spools from around 3200k and is on it from 3800k ish...

<tuffty/>

How many NM's are you running?

Don't know exactly as last time I hit the dyno I had a boost leak and was running a std exhaust, think it was in the 330/340ftlbs region so 450/460NM?

<tuffty/>