Big brake upgrade advice. What else do I need

Genius

Reaction score
Been looking out for a deal on a big brake upgrade kit and ended nabbing this set off ebay £135 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

its the 345mm Leon cupra brakes which are supposed to be the same as the golf R and S3.

The seller stated the discs just need a clean up but looking closer at the photos they look knackered on the inside surface so think I will be getting new discs and pads (annoying as the pads look to have a ton of life) but wondering what else I need to make them fit on my A3. Found a list on another thread but cant actually tell how much of that is included in my purchase.

Anyone who has done this mod care to look at the photos and let me lknow what else I'll need?

Also discs wise, these look cheap fro brembos... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...546483?hash=item360d127173:g:wlYAAOSwilJbWG0K Audi fitment, but will they do for this upgrade kit?

Last edited:
Are you planning power upgrades and therefore looking at the brakes? These brakes are bigger and look better etc but they are really heavy..can't you get away with 'fast road' pads' and braided lines, upgraded fluid etc on the existing setup?

Are you planning power upgrades and therefore looking at the brakes? These brakes are bigger and look better etc but they are really heavy..can't you get away with 'fast road' pads' and braided lines, upgraded fluid etc on the existing setup?

Yeah been looking at tuning and even stage one can go +30% power and +40% torque and as braking is pretty rubbish stock there's no way I'm gonna consider a remap until I can improve stopping power!

Just change your pads. Many here still have stock rotors with Stg2+ S3’.

Look for a Mintex 1144 or 1155 if you’re racing. Or a Ferodo DS2500 pad.

Mines not an S3 though it's the 2.0tfsi quattro and the current brakes really are pretty poor hence wanting to up to the S3 sized rotors especially if I'm going to at least if not higher than stock S3 power and torque levels.

My discs are pretty worn anyway so would be fitting new ones soon so may as well go bigger especially as I got the cupra/S3/golf r calipers so cheap

Anyone running decent power through stock 2.0 TFSI brake calipers?

If so what setup?

I could always sell on the calipers I bought probably at a profit but last thing I want is to upgrade to better discs pads and lines at the current sizes and still feel them lacking...

Im sure with drilled grooved, yellowstuff and dot 5.1 I'd be fine at 200bhp but when it starts getting closer to 300 maybe not so?

Aftermarket pads, braided lines, new fluid and if needs be some new discs - look at Vagbremtechnic J-Hooks.

Then, if you’re still not happy a caliper upgrade will make use of the above.

Ok now I'm really confused... So I upgrade all the current parts to performance ones but then if I'm still not happy I can use the S3 calipers that are designed for 345mm rotors on my new upgraded 312mm rotors? And pads from my calipers will fit the bigger ones too?

Not intending to confuse sorry - if you want to use the S3 calipers go for it. They’re very heavy but a step up from stock A3.

If it was me, I’d do pads, fluid and lines and probably new discs (340mm will be fine).

Then, if that wasn’t good enough I’d look for calipers.

I wouldn’t get drilled discs (prone to cracking unless you spend £££), I’d go Vagbremtechnic.

Haha no worries mate appreciate any help deciding what to do.

Thing is one of those first things I thought about the car was that the brakes felt a bit poor probably coming from a much lighter car with bigger brakes doesn't help in that, and guess the fact that the discs are soon due changing won't either...

So you saying I can fit 340mm rotors on my current setup without upgrading to the S3 calipers?

Anyone running decent power through stock 2.0 TFSI brake calipers?

If so what setup?

I could always sell on the calipers I bought probably at a profit but last thing I want is to upgrade to better discs pads and lines at the current sizes and still feel them lacking...

Im sure with drilled grooved, yellowstuff and dot 5.1 I'd be fine at 200bhp but when it starts getting closer to 300 maybe not so?

I was running stage 2+ for about 3 years on standard brakes with no issues. I've just upgraded to EBC discs and pads on standard calipers with braided lines and new fluid and it's 1000% better.

If you're not tracking your car every weekend and it's more of a daily, standard calipers with better pads and lines will be fine.

I have a K04 waiting to go in and I'm confident the set up I have will be fine for it

Reactions: Genius
I was running stage 2+ for about 3 years on standard brakes with no issues. I've just upgraded to EBC discs and pads on standard calipers with braided lines and new fluid and it's 1000% better.

If you're not tracking your car every weekend and it's more of a daily, standard calipers with better pads and lines will be fine.

I have a K04 waiting to go in and I'm confident the set up I have will be fine for it

Cool, thanks for the reassurance I'll sell on the S3 callipers then, what pads did you go for? I have had yellowstuff on my old Z4 and they were great brakes but made a lot of dust

Cool, thanks for the reassurance I'll sell on the S3 callipers then, what pads did you go for? I have had yellowstuff on my old Z4 and they were great brakes but made a lot of dust

Yellow stuff, I'm not seeing the dust. The OEM discs and pads were worse

Was around 3 years ago so maybe they improved the brake compound since then. What discs you running?

Yeah been looking at tuning and even stage one can go +30% power and +40% torque and as braking is pretty rubbish stock there's no way I'm gonna consider a remap until I can improve stopping power!

Something isn't right. Mines the 170BHP diesel and if I'm not wrong I share the same brake setup as your car and the mk5 Golf GTI.

Stock setup is well proportioned for the power and weight of the car in my opinion. If it's been a while, just a good brake fluid change will make a noticeable difference...it always does in my car.

My car is DSG and diesel, yours petrol but has the 4WD system so they're probably around the same weight?

Stay as std as you can simply because OEM stuff works. I have had a tone of problems with aftermarket discs and brakes and if i could live my life again i would go std discs. :) My J hooks are Brembo and 3k miles old and i have chronic brake judder when they get hot after 50 miles.
The S3 will fire off the ABS quite easily on std brakes with Stg2+, its difficult to see why you would need more than the ability to lock the wheels unless you do track days and are bothered about fade ?.

OK so had decided to stay OEM tried to order the brakes but when I gave my reg there were 2 possibilities that came up either 289mm or 312mm anyway went and measured mine came with 289mm so sod it I'm doing the upgrade to the S3 brake kit with the 345 rotors. Also had the ebay voucher for 15% off and ECP already had an offer on their ebay store on some brembo stuff so ended up getting a set of brembo discs and pads for the S3 for just £133 delivered!

Got braided hoses on order is there anything else I'm gonna need to complete the conversion or is that it?