bi xenon programming vcds

k9audi

NITRO
Reaction score
Managed to program bi xenons and everything working apart from there's a warning light appeared for auto leveling and my car doesn't have one. Whats the correct coding to have the light removed

Cheers

It's illegal to run xenons without auto levelling. Also illegal to run without headlamp washers.

All this will be part of MOT test in Jan 2012.

Get auto levelling !!!!

At the moment i just want to remove the auto leveling warning light. Does anyone know the correct coding to remove this?

Thanks

There is no way - they are not designed, and neither is the control module, to work without auto levelling.

It is possible to put the xenons in a situation with the shutters fully down but that will not satisfy MOT requirements next year.

Hence the warning light. If you tell the control module that you haven't got xenons then the warning light will go out - but so will the xenons !

Why do you want to risk the possibilty of blinding oncoming vehicles ?

Last edited:
I double checked the warning symbol and its the warning symbol for auto headlights/Auto wipers. Need the coding to remove this

All i need is the long coding for bi xenons without autoheadlights/auto wipers

The current VCDS software has a long coding helper built in, everything is selectable with tickable boxes.

What I will say is, like Mike says its going to be a testable item come 1st of January & due to this perhaps the police will become more vigilant in the matter.

If you take it to the worst possible case: you get pulled on your way home one night, police put a prohibition notice on it & refuse to let you drive it home & slap you with a CU20 & 3 points.

I reiterate what I advised you before, fit the right systems instead of half ***** installs, no offence, but how any times do we read this same scenario weekly.

Ewan has advised what to do with coding the light issues, so nothing more I can add tbh, current vcds clearly shows you what is coded & what is not.

Last edited:
Personally I think you shouldn't bother with any coding. Fit auto levellers!!! As NHN has said, no point doing a half ***** attempt. The amount of times iv been blinded by an oncoming car is unreal.

Respect the other road users bud and do it properly!

I simply asked for support with the Coding for another member because he needs support as i havent used or have the vcds. When did I ask for a lecture for road safety!!!

No offence to the members who answered my questions

Yes but why should members of this forum help you or who ever brake the law and be a danger to other road users.

Perhaps you should both refer to this item by the DfT... http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

The UK Construction and Use Regulations make no provision for HID's at all. This means that HID's are not allowed in the UK. Manufacturer's get round this by holding European type approval for their designs and vehicles which hold this can be used in the UK as it overrules the C+U Regulations. However fitting them to a non-type approved headlamp unit without the prerequisite auto levelling and washing systems would not meet the type approval and are therefore illegal.

Let me get one thing straight its not hid i've fitted its oem bi xenon headlights! Second of all I intend to get headlights washers etc. How many forum members go around using there fog lights during a normal clear day? are they not causing danger for other road users?

Am not here to argue with forum members or disrespect anyone I just dont appreciate being lectured about road safety when i've asked a simple question about programming.

Well in that case lets get another thing straight. Your first post asked how to get round the problem that you had fitted bi-xenons and the car was now giving you an error because there was no Auto-levelling present. You were asking what the coding was to get round this. Am I correct. This was the wording

"Managed to program bi xenons and everything working apart from there's a warning light appeared for auto levelling and my car doesn't have one. Whats the correct coding to have the light removed"

In other words you have bi xenons fitted to your car but have not (perhaps yet) fitted auto-levelling which makes your car both illegal and a danger to other road users. If a member was to give you some help with this coding they would be helping you to brake the law and be a danger to other road users. Most members on this forum would not be prepared to do that and have told you so.

You commented about people driving around with their fog lights on. This is another stupid thing that some drivers do and it is equally illegal although not quite so dangerous because you are unlikely to be blinded by fog lights. According to the Highway Code Fog lights should only be used in Fog and Falling snow. But two wrongs do not make a right.

So if you have fitted bi-xenons and have not yet fitted auto-levelling and headlamp washers your car is illegal to use on the road and I would suggest you get them fitted before taking your car out at night.

Yeh read the thread mate i corrected myself saying is the warning light for autoheadlight/rainsensor not auto leveling and the car isn't on the road its off road so no danger

k9audi, its not that people are giving you a lecture, they are basically pointing out that some of the aspects of what you are trying to do are illegal, thats good advice, cos you can easily get points etc, i think you should be more appreciative rather than rude

Hey am sorry if i came across rude to anyone :(
Am no here to argue or upset anyone

sorry but im sure the OP is aware of this issue, Hes been advised of the road laws but what he intends to fit to his car is his problem. How he goes about it is also his problems, If he gets in trouble ...Its his problem.

Finally blinding headlights are a danger but even though a range rover has the whole auto leveling and washers it still blinds me when its driving towards me because of how high the car is! Now before we hit the whole legal issue there are tons of things done on this forum that may not be road legal, Stretched tyres for one and also wheels sitting outside the arches.

Iv seen people locally get endorsements for the above two examples and there are many others which people also offer advice on, Im not saying what the OP is doing is correct at all but he asked for coding to get rid of a dash light...Do you really think lecturing him is going to make him totally remove his headlight.

Oh finally how peoples LED bulbs are E-Marked!?!

sorry but im sure the OP is aware of this issue, Hes been advised of the road laws but what he intends to fit to his car is his problem. How he goes about it is also his problems, If he gets in trouble ...Its his problem.

Finally blinding headlights are a danger but even though a range rover has the whole auto leveling and washers it still blinds me when its driving towards me because of how high the car is! Now before we hit the whole legal issue there are tons of things done on this forum that may not be road legal, Stretched tyres for one and also wheels sitting outside the arches.

Iv seen people locally get endorsements for the above two examples and there are many others which people also offer advice on, Im not saying what the OP is doing is correct at all but he asked for coding to get rid of a dash light...Do you really think lecturing him is going to make him totally remove his headlight.

Oh finally how peoples LED bulbs are E-Marked!?!

Yes that's fine, but I do think responsible members should point out that what he is doing is illegal. He may not even realise it's illegal. Also he should not ask members for help to brake the law and be a danger to other road users. Even if he did correct himself to say the error was with the 'autolights' he did still ask how to overcome something that was warning him his car was illegal. Yes a lot of people do things to their cars that are illegal but I personally don't think they should expect any help from forum members with those items. The majority of members have cars which are legal and do not condone anything which makes a car illegal just because someone wants to do illegal modification.

Hopefully a lot of the problems with retro-fit xenons will be picked up when they are included in the MOT test.

Last edited:
Update on the issue with the warning light/rain sensor its has finally been removed :sm4:. I really appreciate NAD(Top bloke) who kindly came out of his way to remove the warning light but we had few issues and for some strange reason it wasn't going off :uhm:. After having along conversation and great amount of support from Ash(itwasntme187) managed to remove the warning light. Just want to say BIG THANKS to Ash who is always been there when i've needed support TOP BLOKE :thumbsup: and thanks for NAD for taking time out for me to sort this warning light out.

Just came across this thread as K9Audi had called me earlier and we sorted this issue out.

K9Audi, thanks for the nice words. its a nice feeling to know that i was able to help someone out here in need who really appreciates it. im glad the issue is sorted out.

since the issue has been sorted i wont go into it but i do want to say one thing...

why the hell was everyone shoving the illegal comments down his throat? he clearly said he understands that and is going to fit in the Auto levellers and it was a mistake when he wrote auto levellers when he was meant to say auto lights... WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!

i myself have retro-fitted bi-xenons and after 6 months i am now getting the parts together for auto levelling... not to mention that i still passed my MOT a couple weeks ago and i know that my lights are not blinding anyone as i have lowered them slightly more than they should be to make sure of it. Like Farhan pointed out most of us here are doing mods that are frowned on by the law so why gang up on a guy who was asking for advice?

this is a friendly forum where there are loads of nice guys here advising each other of what mods to do and what is safe, lets keep it that way.

oh and just for those who gave unhelpful comments towards the issue... the problem was coding... all that was needed to be said was to advise the OP of the correct coding needed for the bi-xenon install and to make sure byte 0 bit 6 on the CE (rain/lights sensor installed) was off...

i realise this post may not make me very popular here but the look of this thread seems like the OP was being ganged up on... although the advice given is spot on. just doesnt seem right that after 6 days of the post being open no one gave the OP a proper solution but instead continued to attempt to 'educate' him on the law, even after he admitted to knowing that fact and the fact the car is not on the road.

Yes that's fine, but I do think responsible members should point out that what he is doing is illegal. He may not even realise it's illegal. Also he should not ask members for help to brake the law and be a danger to other road users. Even if he did correct himself to say the error was with the 'autolights' he did still ask how to overcome something that was warning him his car was illegal. Yes a lot of people do things to their cars that are illegal but I personally don't think they should expect any help from forum members with those items. The majority of members have cars which are legal and do not condone anything which makes a car illegal just because someone wants to do illegal modification.

dave i couldnt agree with you more mate, yes no one should encourage anyone else to do something illegal. i hope the OP does install the Auto levelling pack asap!

Last edited:
I had bi-xenons on my old car fitted without washers or levellers, people who think the levellers react quick enough or for every situation are kidding themselves. They work fine without when set at the proper level. Their main use is load-levelling. Anyone ever had a stiff sprung 911 or many other cars with xenons come up behind you winking it's xenons as it bobs up and down?

Besides AUDI and other manufacturers (one bright one is the citreon with the vertical strips in the bumper) now fit dazzling lights as standard in the form of "daylight running lights", the bright LEDs that are very distracting and in dusk (when people don't put dipped lights on) are very very bright, much worse than the late 90s fashion for running front fogs.