Bi Xenon flickering on start up! whats usually the problem?

Ashley Martin

Reaction score
Hey guys

As the title says what could be wrong, its a 57 plate S3 and I just noticed that when I put the ignition on it was flickering, but then cleared after a few seconds. Its like its only on fire up!

Thanks

Ash

Could be a bulb or headlight module, is it one side or both?

By any chance does it do it around if not exactly 5 times? I get this with my led 501s. Im sure its just the canbus system passing power through to make sure all is working well, although thats aftermarket equipment i doubt the same thing should happen with oem?

It's just on the passenger side and it is more like a slight flicker rather than a strobe effect!

When my Xenon bulb started to die it produced a noticeably purple light in comparison to the other one which was still more blue/white - is there any difference in the colour of light between your passenger and driver side lights?

try the bulbs mate most likely or the ballast but i would change the bulbs first

I haven't noticed any difference in the colour of the light and after the first start of the day it seems to stop until its left again for a while. How much is a bulb for these?

i bought mine of ebay 100 USD i remember.... , i remember one of the member had an issue with the headlight switch in the cabin , check the connection to the switch is fine too

From your friendly Audi dealer the bulbs are about £120 and the ballast will make you weep.

About £600.

Mine packed in a month ago.

From your friendly Audi dealer the bulbs are about £120 and the ballast will make you weep.

About £600.

Mine packed in a month ago.

£600!!! How can it be that much?? Is it that the ballast is not a consumable and in theory should never go, or is it an inevtibality that it will at some point, because £600 to get your headlights working is obscene...

[Edit] Ah I see, just did a bit of a check about, ballast is not ballast at all, it's a voltage regulator...