1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BH's Monza Silver B8 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 143 S-Line Multitronic

Bristle Hound May 25, 2019

1. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

SWMBO and I have decided to take up caravaning. Yes yes I know get it all out ! lol

Anyway we have both been looking at suitable cars for the last 3 months, with out much joy if I'm being honest

We've physically looked at quite a few 2 litre diesel BMW Tourings & boy is there some **** out there
    What has been a real life saver for us of the gov.uk MOT history checker. Not only has it saved us our time but wasted journeys on petrol too. How some cars pass an MOT is beyond me TBH

This Audi that we ended up purchasing was genuinely the last car we going to look at. If it was **** then that was it!

Spoke to the prev owner within an hour of advertising it. Viewed / test drive Wednesday. Collected yesterday (Friday)
    The seller was kind enough to throw in a genuine set of Audi roof bars, genuine Audi touch up kit & a genuine Audi rubber boot liner
    He had owned the Audi for just over 4 years

This one is quite loaded spec ise but most importantly had the factory fitted detachable tow bar & 13 pin electrics

Spec. -

Date of 1st registration - March 2010 - 10 reg
    85,000 miles
    B8 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 143 S-Line
    Multitronic transmission
    Monza silver metallic (S-Line only colour)
    Black 1/2 leather cloth seats
    Matt brushed aluminum inlays
    18" 5 spoke Sline design alloys

Extra's as fitted -

Technology Pack - High (HDD sat nav with MMI 3G, AMI & Parking system +)
    Convenience Pack (Full electric front seats, electric adjustable, heated, folding auto dim mirrors with auto dim interior mirror)
    Factory fitted detachable tow bar & 13 pin electrics
    Storage pack
    Mobile telephone preparation – Low with Bluetooth and voice control
    Tyre pressure monitoring display
    HHA
    (If I find anything else I'll add it lol)

Brochure price is showing as RRP OTR at just under £35k

A lot of the spec I wouldn't have picked from new TBH but hey we are all different

The previous keeper had just replaced all the pads & disc's with Brembo parts
    2 new rear tyres. Fronts have done 10k
    12 1/2 months MOT with no advisories
    Major long life service December 2018
    Transmission serviced, including oil change last year
    Full service history. Dealer to 4 years old then Audi Indies

Fortunately the owner refused to the take the A4 back to Audi after their recall over 'emissions gate'

The seller had bought a 63 plate BMW 330d Touring x-drive with factory tow bar to replace the Audi. I've got 1st refusal when he sells the BMW on :D

The previous owner has really looked after the car
    So far everything works as it should
    Don't get me wrong its over 9 years old with 85K on the clock so there are some age related marks, but it is really in excellent condition & I'm a little anal about my cars I'm told ... lol

Front wings & sills are ok but I'm not taking any chances and am going fit the wing edge stone protectors off the B8.5 A4's

Cam belt & water pump replaced at 5 years old. So thats a job for 12 months time at 10 year mark

A few pics from the seller. Haven't had chance to do any of my own yet TBH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colour defor has hue's of blue in it. Not a true silver IMHO but we do like it because its a bit different & I haven't seen many in this colour near to us

Still got the Cupra but good to be back in an Audi

Being in a B8 A4 feels like home to me as this is my 3rd B8/B8.5

My first B8, bought new April 2009. Sold October 2015
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...udi-a4-2-0-tfsi-quattro-s-line-saloon.225569/
    & my B8.5 S4, bought new May 2015. Sold February 2018
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-sepang-blue-b8-5-audi-s4-black-edition-saloon.240456/

January 2010 brochure which covers my Avant. Build sticker under bonnet indicates 02/10 build
    https://www.pdf-archive.com/2019/05/25/a4-brochure-january-2010/

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Man TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

4. Bristle Hound

@jdp1962 - Thanks Jeff :thumbs up:
    Feels nice to be back in the B8 section

5. DickoB8

DickoB8 A4 Avant S Line Executive 170bhp

Nice B8 and a decent specced one! We’re you on totalmini/mini torque? Im sure I recognise the username from my Mini days. And yeah get them stoneguards fitted I’ve just had my wings replaced by Audi for corrosion.

Bristle Hound likes this.
  6. Bristle Hound

@DickoB8 - totalMINI that be me :)
    You'll find me all over on car related sites using the same username
    It was your thread that got me going on the stoneguards
    Saw your car on gumtree buddy

X3man and DickoB8 like this.
  7. Tashfeen

Tashfeen Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

Nice one Col and tis seems to be a one fully spec'd 'beast' . 143ps Multitronic drives really smooth, it actually floats if you don't have the poor man's suspension, which I had on the b8 I bought for Mrs a few years ago.

8. BarryG79

BarryG79 Well-Known Member

Another car and caravan combo holding up the traffic is all we need!!

Tidy looking motor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristle Hound and DickoB8 like this.
  9. DickoB8

I was thinking there couldn’t be an
    I’m glad I’ve come in handy for something :) I had 3 mini’s on the trot R53, R56 Cooper s and last but not least a R55 Cooper s I loved them all but practicality and Mini doesn’t go together when a baby was calling! I’d love a R60 JCW but currently out of my price range! And yeah that’s mine on Gumtree I’ve being tempted by a car which is currently up for sale so thought I’d try my luck but will more than likely keep the Audi if nothing comes of it ;)

10. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Nice one Col, looks a tidy motor, but look forward to your used car full decon, correct and overall spruce up

Bristle Hound and BarryG79 like this.
  11. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

Gets popcorn and awaits detailing thread ... :D

X3man, Bristle Hound, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  12. Avatar

13. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

Dont think we will need to wait too long.

scotty76, X3man and Bristle Hound like this.
  14. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter

Nice car, and enjoy the caravanning! Should be a great car for what you need it to do. Are you going for a warranty with it, or just drive it and see how it goes?

15. Bristle Hound

@Tashfeen - Cheers :thumbs up:
    I was looking for a way to describe how the multitronic drives & I would say that about sums it up - floats lol
    Fortunately with it being a S-line spec it rides quite hard anyway
    @BarryG79 - I'll give you a [​IMG] as you pass me [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    & thanks :thumbs up:
    @DickoB8 - We've had 4 MINI's
    3 R56's, a Cooper, Cooper S with JCW pack & a JCW & 1 F55 5 door Cooper S
    Our @SPIKE_S3 is also a ex member of totalMINI too
    Good luck with your sale my friend :thumbs up:
    @X3man @scotty76 @Sandra - Full detail, including thread :p , not going to be happening anytime soon.Just haven't got the time TBH
    Best its gonna get in the short term is some BSD lovin' [​IMG]

Speaking of which the previous owner was quite fastidious with this Avant
    The only things I can see that need doing, so far, are -

1. Clean the back of the wheels. Not my fave job as IronX stinks :puke:
    2. Under bonnet detail as its a bit dusty
    3. Exhaust tips need some work on them, but that all ready a work in progress
    4. Steering wheel & gear knob needed to loose the shine & get back to more of a matt finish. Also a work in progress. 4 Dr.Leather wipes used already & I'm about 70% there so far
    5. MMI screen needs the lovin' @A4A4 gave his.So pleased I bought some PlastRx
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-well-groomed-a4.371020/page-6#post-3438367

I'm surprised thats all needs doing for a 9 year old car TBH

X3man, SPIKE_S3, A4A4 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bristle Hound

@SPIKE_S3 - Thanks :thumbs up:
    Just going to see how we go at the mo

SPIKE_S3 likes this.
  17. Bristle Hound

If anyone's interested this is what the factory tow bar & electrics look like
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-avant-s-line-tow-bar-coding.113479/#post-1205607

Saved me a job of having to do pic's lol

After a it of research I've also found out that as my Avant has the factory installed tow bar it also comes with a 'Trailer stabilisation system'
    Trailer stabilisation system which, if the ESC detects that the trailer is swaying, it will automatically brake the vehicle in order to stabilise the trailer. The indicator lamp will flash in the instrument cluster, and in order to warn traffic behind, the brake lights come on also

http://www.audihelp.com/auda-113-driving_the_vehicle_with_a_trailer_or_caravan.html
    Didn't know that

I think there are other benefits to having the factory tow bar / electrics too -

Detects if any bulbs are out on the trailer
    Disables the rear parking sensors
    Displays a trailer on the MMI
    Alters the brake balance
    Alters the traction control and ESP
    Adds a little trailer symbol shows on the dash when indicating

I'm sure there are others things which I will add to this post as I find

SPIKE_S3 likes this.
  18. JG51 AUD

JG51 AUD Well-Known Member Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Audi S5 Black Edition quattro

Congrats on the new motor BH, result that the emissions recall wasn't done. :icon thumright:

Happy caravanning :racer:

JG

19. Bristle Hound

@JG51 AUD - Thanks :thumbs up:
    Agreed :yes:
    & thanks :thumbs up:

JG51 AUD and X3man like this.
  20. Bristle Hound

No. 2 completed this afternoon :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also put my 2 reflective vests under the front drivers & passengers seat storage
    Added a genuine Audi First Aid kit under in rear centre arm rest storage

A4A4, DickoB8, JG51 AUD and 2 others like this.
  21. Tashfeen

Tashfeen Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

Looks fab BH . What products did you use if I may?

I need to find the courage to do the A3, which I have been moaning about since I bought the car. It is filthy and my only concern is electrics and I have been assured nothing will happen if I hose wash it without covering anything

22. Bristle Hound

@Tashfeen - Cheers buddy :thumbs up:

I use APC diluted to 3:1 in a spray bottle, some cheapo washing up brushes (that I bin when used as they 3 for a £1) & about 6 multi purpose MF's which also end up in the bin too

I don't soak anything electrical & its more wiping & scrubbing that spraying and hosing for me when I do under bonnet details

May take more time to do this way but I find it more 'accurate'. Just my way lol

Bit of Carista'ing planned for tomorrow

scotty76, X3man and Tashfeen like this.
  23. Bristle Hound

Carista day today :thumbs up:

Changed these in no particular order excepting the ADS feature

Beep when alarm is armed
    Unlock doors via remote - All doors on 1st press
    Instrument cluster region - Was set to Germany, oddly. Altered to Great Britain
    Gauge needle sweep at startup
    Lap timer & oil temperature in dashboard
    Flash hazard lights in emergency stopping
    Require seat belt when releasing parking brake - No
    Lower passenger-side mirror when in reverse gear
    Remember position when lowering passenger-side mirror in reverse gear
    Hidden green menu
    ADS (Both of 2 steps done)
    Show engine option in ADS menu
    Show steering option in ADS menu

A4A4, MuPPeT_ON_TouR and Tashfeen like this.
  24. Bulldog

Bulldog Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Same colour as my old one

A85CACCC-6002-4D8B-8BD5-2DF871D923B4.jpeg

Bristle Hound and Tashfeen like this.
  25. Bristle Hound

@Bulldog - Very nice !
    What size wheels are those ? They are massive !

Looking at the size of the wing mirrors I'm guessing a 09 plate or slightly earlier
    My old B8 A4 saloon, which was a 09 plate had the 'dumbo ears' mirrors too lol

26. OCDaveS3

OCDaveS3 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter Team Navarra Audi S3

Looks like a great choice and fab spec!!

What are the “wing edge protectors from the A4” that you mention? I think the edges on my S3 look really vulnerable and wonder if the protection from an A4 could be adapted?

27. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Man TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

They're a modification introduced on the B8.5 facelift; a plastic shield fitted to the lower trailing edge of the front wing, to stop the painted lip being pepppered by grit and stones. Without it , the pre-facelift models were prone to rusting.

28. Bulldog

Bulldog Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

OCDaveS3 and Bristle Hound like this.
  29. Bristle Hound

OCDaveS3 and Tashfeen like this.
  30. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

Nobody made any caravaning jokes! Well I can't think of any so I'll just make an irritating "Mr Logic" comment instead.

"Multitronic GB"
    "Gearbox serviced, including oil change last year"

Mr. Logic says "its not a gearbox, its a continuously variable transmission - there are no gears!"

I am similarly irritated when people refer to a "4x4" when they are describing a car of a certain body shape without actually knowing if it has four wheel drive transmission.

And yes, I am a bit bored...

X3man and Tashfeen like this.
  31. Bristle Hound

@Dippy - Must admit I'm surprised at the lack of caravaning jokes. Holds breath ... lol

Fair comment on the 'transmission'
    Description from January 2010 brochure -

'multitronic®
    Translating a driver’s preferences and intentions into road performance, the multitronic® transmission system entertains no compromises – whether in terms of dynamism, convenience or economy. multitronic® automatic transmission is available on models without quattro® permanent all-wheel-drive. A continuously variable transmission, multitronic® can transmit up to 310 Nm of torque and permits an exceptionally wide range of gear ratios. The result is smooth, powerful acceleration and a high level of driving comfort. And thanks to its lightweight design and a number of advanced electronic control systems that monitor gradient, road conditions and the way the driver is using the accelerator pedal, multitronic® also plays an instrumental role in reducing fuel consumption.'

To be precise ;):D

& yes, you are obviously bored at the mo lol

PS Offending post now edited :D

X3man likes this.
  32. Bristle Hound

Just found out that the 'Tech Pack - High' has the ability to play DVD's, if anyone can remember them lol Just got to find one now
    With VCDS you can unlock the 'Video In Motion' facility I'm told

'Satellite Navigation system – HDD-based, with MMI 3G. 3rd generation of MMI including 2 FM tuners, high resolution (800x400) 7” colour TFT display, DVD movie-playing function, colour Driver’s Information System, 2 SD card readers and 40GB hard drive – 10GB of which can be used to store up to 4,000 songs. HDD navigation functionality includes advanced speech recognition, 3D and topographical mapping display and advanced 3D building display'

SD card reader allows use of 32GB cards but no more, or so the handbook says

Had a call from the seller yesterday telling me about the tow bar use on the Avant
    He was the 3rd owner. When he got it in 2015 the detachable tow bar was still in its original packing having never been used by the 1st & 2nd owners
    He only used the tow bar for a pedal cycle carrier so the car has never towed a caravan prior to us purchasing it
    Quite reassuring for us to know TBH

DickoB8 and X3man like this.
  33. Avatar

34. DickoB8

I was also unaware of the Tech pack DVD function it took me a good few months to realise after purchasing it when I was flicking through the handbook. The glovebox is now full of kids DVD’s perfect for when the missus nips into the shops and the little one will sit quite happily watching his programmes :)

35. A4A4

A4A4 Owner of a Shiny Daytona

Great looking motor!

@Bristle Hound is this going to be treated with the 'Sonax spray + seal' you've recently purchased?

Be interested to know your review of it.

36. Bristle Hound

@A4A4 - Why thank you ! :thumbs up:
    The Spray+Seal is for the incoming caravan we are purchasing
    The Avant's getting the full BSD treatment lol

Tashfeen and A4A4 like this.
  37. Bristle Hound

Been having a crack at the list again lol

1. Had a really close inspection of all the alloys today & I'm gonna go for a 4 wheel refurb
    I'm hoping to get them done this month at a local wheel refurber (is that a word lol)in the OEM colour, bright silver
    Been quoted £240 for all 4 being 18's. Happy enough with that TBH

4. Had another crack & the steering wheel & gear knob today
    I didn't realise that my Dr.Leather leather wipes that I had had dried up a little. Only found out they had when I broke out the new tub. Wow what a difference the new wipes are

SW as collected -

[​IMG]

After -

[​IMG]

The 'After' pic doesn't do it justice it is very matt. Not matt like a brand new car but certainly matt enough for me. 'Tis a 9 year old car you know

5. MMI screen got the @A4A4 lovin' lol

Before - plenty of marks & swirls on the anti-glare coating
    The before pic doesn't really show how bad the screen really was

[​IMG]

After -

[​IMG]

I may have lost the anti-glare coating but I'm more than happy with a cleaner screen TBH
    The sat-nav graphics are a lot sharper too

3 down 2 to go lol

Keef, jassyo06, A4A4 and 3 others like this.
  38. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Looking good Col, top top work

Try VP Leather Soap next time (when the wipes dry up), nice OEM
    matte finish

jassyo06 and Bristle Hound like this.
  39. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! S3 Saloon Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue

In conjunction with a leather brush

Bristle Hound and X3man like this.
  40. Bristle Hound

@X3man - I’ll have a look at that when I’m nearing the end of tub of wipes. Could be a while mind as I bought a 150 tub of Dr.Leather wipes lol
    @jassyo06 - As it happens I’ve got one of them. A Swissvax one. My only ever purchase of a Swissvax product lol

jassyo06 likes this.
  41. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! S3 Saloon Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue

To be honest a steering wheel that's had a lot of hand miles on it,is never going back to a factory matte finish, no matter what leather products we use

42. Bristle Hound

Collected our new to us caravan on Wednesday
    'Twas only a short drive, around 15 miles

[​IMG]

Auto transmission is defo the way to go with caravaning me reckons & thats after only around 15 miles

43. Bristle Hound

Cool graphics when the parking sensors activated when caravan attached
    Its the little things don't 'cha know lol

[​IMG]

With it being a factory it tow bar/electrics it switches the rear parking sensors off when caravan electrics are attached to the car