BHP or Torque??

Sean Devenney

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of an open discussion on what people look for when upgrading the performance of their car.
Simply do you look for an increase in BHP?
Or an increase in Torque?

Just want a look into what the majority look at as the main factor in their cars and what they spend their money on.

Thanks guys, Sean.

Torque = midrange acceleration and driveability
BHP = maximum speed.

Obviously I'd rather have both,but given only one,I'd take a pile of torque.
Latest round of mods has given me around 60bhp more,but over 100lbs more torque,and that really is noticeable.

Reactions: Artimus
Torque = midrange acceleration and driveability
BHP = maximum speed.

Obviously I'd rather have both,but given only one,I'd take a pile of torque.
Latest round of mods has given me around 60bhp more,but over 100lbs more torque,and that really is noticeable.

Just seen that there Alex your running 550bhp and 540lbs...crazy figures!! Thanks for your input mate, really appreciate it especially from someone with as much experience as yourself.

Reactions: Allman45 and S3Alex
Id say for the most part, torque is what you will find more beneficial.

Reactions: S3Alex and Sean Devenney
I'd go for torque in a turbo'd car too. But pay attention to where the torque curve too! No point in it being at 5k rpm with a 7k rpm limit.

Reactions: Sean Devenney
I'd go for torque in a turbo'd car too. But pay attention to where the torque curve too! No point in it being at 5k rpm with a 7k rpm limit.

This is true....in general with a small turbo,it's not a problem,but with bigger turbos,which spool higher up the rpm band it can become an issue,and where my original K04 would hit it's stride by about 3000rpm,the current one hits the boost at around 4500rpm,but the rpm limit has also been raised with lighter tougher valves,and another point is how far the torque extends.
There is little point again in having a torque peak,and nothing after that,and that can be a bit of an issue with a small turbo worked to it's limits.

It all needs to work together to get the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allman45 and Sean Devenney
For general performance driving you want torque, a nice wide power band with no need to frantically change gear constantly. For quarter mile runs or track days you need horsepower, but you have to be much more thoughtful about your shifting. A good balance between the two will give the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Sean Devenney
For general performance driving you want torque, a nice wide power band with no need to frantically change gear constantly. For quarter mile runs or track days you need horsepower, but you have to be much more thoughtful about your shifting. A good balance between the two will give the best of both worlds.
thanks for you input mate, appreciate your outlook on them both:)!

No problem, it was oversimplified but i hope it helps your understanding. If you want a more detailed explanation, i could talk at great length about it :p

This is true....in general with a small turbo,it's not a problem,but with bigger turbos,which spool higher up the rpm band it can become an issue,and where my original K04 would hit it's stride by about 3000rpm,the current one hits the boost at around 4500rpm,but the rpm limit has also been raised with lighter tougher valves,and another point is how far the torque extends.
There is little point again in having a torque peak,and nothing after that,and that can be a bit of an issue with a small turbo worked to it's limits.

It all needs to work together to get the results.

Bet yours sounds a right treat spooling up Alex ;)

Reactions: S3Alex
Torque all day long, my Fabia vrs is a little monster, only 130 bhp BUT the torque pins me against the drivers seat. Had it for 10 years now from new and it still amazes me how quick it feels/is.

Torque/BHP figures on paper don't show its true performance. TDI's nearly always produce higher torque per cylinder but you cannot beat the thrill of red lining a TFSI engine. They are by far miles quicker off the line to 60 even when not remapped and easily achieve the 155mph limiter if fitted....,! It Depends on what you want really. Is shaving 2/10ths of the 0-60 time worth it. Most fast Audis are fast enough for the highway ;) track tho different story ha ha...

Last edited:
Torque for street, HP for track.
I do miss the early spool of my old Polo 1.8t with mods and tune.

Every single car I've ever owned were petrol, until the day I purchased the vRS and now I can't ever see me driving a petrol engine again. For me the feeling of torque massively outweighs redlining, and I have driven some nicely powered petrol cars in my time.

People often ask me why I now prefer diesel engines because I don't do huge miles. For me, miles dont come into it, I simply prefer the way diesel engined cars drive, oh and the torque.

Absolutely , turbo diesel low down torque monsters .

Horrible junction pulling out to the left up a steep incline , na petrol requires quite some right foot input to get out and on your way .

Tdi- effortless , hardly any right foot and a wave of torque up the hill :)

Every single car I've ever owned were petrol, until the day I purchased the vRS and now I can't ever see me driving a petrol engine again. For me the feeling of torque massively outweighs redlining, and I have driven some nicely powered petrol cars in my time.

People often ask me why I now prefer diesel engines because I don't do huge miles. For me, miles dont come into it, I simply prefer the way diesel engined cars drive, oh and the torque.

In many ways,I agree.....my best diesel car has been an A4 3.0Tdi,with piles of torque,and so easy to drive,and initially when I chopped that in for the S3,I really did miss that,and it highlighted the S3 needing a remap to release a bit more torque and driveability.

Now,I've got a lot more torque than the 3.0TDi had,and the bhp,so I'm happy on both counts,but turbocharging both petrol and diesel engines does make the difference.

Reactions: Allman45

There's more torque in an s3 than vrs isn't there?

Thanks, kind of what I should have said, the torque is an instant hit and and pulls quickly through every gear.

K03 turbo on the 1.8 was able to have a lot if torque and boost by 2.5k. I do miss how easy it was to accelerate from almost idle in gear.

The TFSI with Quattro is an upgrade but there is some compromise. The newer S3 engine design seems to be best of both worlds.