1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BGB 2.0 tfsi engine has gone big time

todsan Oct 31, 2018

1. todsan

todsan New Member

Hi there,

I'm new on here as needing some advice. I have an 05 Audi A4 avant 2.0t (BGB) Quattro that seems to have failed completely. The garage has told me that 3 out of 4 cylinders have failed a compression test and that it could be a major repair. My question is, how much is a replacement cylinder head and would it be cheaper to replace the engine? It has done 132000 miles and water pump/timing belt was replaced at 109000 miles.

The garage are going to dig a little deeper next week to determine if the timing is off and what kinda damage has been done.

I know these engines are prone to the hpfp follower failing but could that part failing have destroyed the intake cam and valves?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Iain

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. antwan64og

antwan64og Well-Known Member

If you have dropped a valve and no piston contact it might be a fairly small job.

If the head is cracked you might need another one.

If piston rings have gone its a bottom end rebuild.

To get your engine fully reconditioned is like £1100 and then probably £500 un labour. I needed a another block so that was an extra £700.

Wait and see the diagnosis, and plan accordingly then.